Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Thawing/warming breast milk question

1. Banned
    Banned

Question Thawing/warming breast milk question

Advertisements
    DH and I are going out to dinner/a movie tomorrow night. I have a stash of milk in the freezer, but I'm wondering how the best way to go about thawing it out is. Normally my mIL just sticks the whole bag in warm water and lets it heat up, then pours all of it into a bottle. The only problem is I have a bag with 9 oz in it, so there's no way my chunker butt can eat all that. Should I just put it in the fridge tonight, let it thaw overnight, and she can make bottles as needed? Or can she just thaw it like she normally does, make a bottle, and stick the remaining milk in the fridge...then warm it back up later?

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    I would do the fridge thaw myself. Then she can heat as needed.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    At the daycare we defrosted in warm water (large yogurt containers are the perfect size). If they didn't finish eating then it went back into the fridge since the mom's would cry if we wasted breast milk, but I think I remember reading that wasn't the best thing to do. Really not a boob expert unless you opinions on push up bras .
    Last edited by Procella; 08-17-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: sp
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    DH and I are going out to dinner/a movie tomorrow night. I have a stash of milk in the freezer, but I'm wondering how the best way to go about thawing it out is. Normally my mIL just sticks the whole bag in warm water and lets it heat up, then pours all of it into a bottle. The only problem is I have a bag with 9 oz in it, so there's no way my chunker butt can eat all that. Should I just put it in the fridge tonight, let it thaw overnight, and she can make bottles as needed? Or can she just thaw it like she normally does, make a bottle, and stick the remaining milk in the fridge...then warm it back up later?

Thanks!
    First, I'm jealous that you pumped nine ounces! The best I ever got was five so YAY YOU!!

Secondly, fridge thaw and heat as needed. Also, just a tip, only put as much as he takes in one bottle into a bag. It makes it SO much easier. I learned that the hard way when I had a bag I had pumped 10oz into over the course of a couple days and then once it got thawed, he couldn't eat it all and I ended up having to toss it (since it's only good once it's thawed for 24hours).
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    First, I'm jealous that you pumped nine ounces! The best I ever got was five so YAY YOU!!

Secondly, fridge thaw and heat as needed. Also, just a tip, only put as much as he takes in one bottle into a bag. It makes it SO much easier. I learned that the hard way when I had a bag I had pumped 10oz into over the course of a couple days and then once it got thawed, he couldn't eat it all and I ended up having to toss it (since it's only good once it's thawed for 24hours).
    Very true, when he gets bigger and you make cereal you can use your breast milk to make his cereal with. I was able to use any extra I had pumped for YDD for the twins, I just mixed it in with their sippy cups of regular milk.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Since it isn't until tomorrow stick it in the fridge to thaw and then warm in warm water as needed.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    you have 24 hours from the time you put it in the fridge to use it And next time you might want to freexe in 2-3 oz bags
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress