Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Formula Feeding Moms!

1. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries

Question for Formula Feeding Moms!

Advertisements
    So, Belle was on Similac Advance since that's the formula we were given when she needed supplementing during her BFing days. But she had terrible gas and was miserable so I switched her to Similac Sensitive. Well, SS is a flippin' miracle formula. She's been eating a bit more, super happy and not having any gas pains! BUT- I just noticed that the first 2 ingredients in the formula are Corn Syrup and Sugar. BOO.

The pediatrician didn't seem concerned with the ingredients when I mentioned it. I asked if there was a healthier option and she didn't really have any suggestions. She said that she doesn't recommend changing formulas too much because that's hard on babies tummies too. I mentioned Similac Organic, which lists Organic Nonfat Milk, Organic Maltodextrin, Organic Sugar as the first three ingredients. She said I could try that if I wanted to.

I basically just don't know what to do. I want to give her what's best for her, but the pediatrician wasn't much help. I mean, I guess she would have been if I was okay with giving Belle corn syrup... Maybe I'm over reacting? I just want her to have the best start, nutrition wise, and I don't know..

I guess I'm wondering what kind of formula you use? I'm not interested in a soy based. The only difference I really see is that the formula that WAS bothering her listed Lactose in the first 2 ingredients and the SS does not. I thought maybe it was a lactose issue, but the ped said that's rare.

Sorry if this is jumbled, lol. I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than it is.
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Both of my girls were on Similac Sensitive and they are just fine. She's right about switching formulas, it can do more harm than good.

It's tough being a mom, even after a few years I still question so much.

3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

If it's important to you, you can always try slowly transitioning her from one to the other. Kaia didn't do well with Similac Advanced either, it caused her horrible gas, and she didn't have any sensitivities to ANYTHING, just that particular formula was horrible for her gut.

4. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    If it's important to you, you can always try slowly transitioning her from one to the other. Kaia didn't do well with Similac Advanced either, it caused her horrible gas, and she didn't have any sensitivities to ANYTHING, just that particular formula was horrible for her gut.
    That's how we got her onto the Sensitive. Veeeery slowly. Lol. What did you end up using for Kaia? I don't know. I just don't want to cause problems later, like later-later. I am being a dork, I'm sure.
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Well, we ended up moving Kaia to the stuff from Costco. I'm sure it has corn syrup because it isn't organic or anything, but it agreed with her belly really well and it was nice not paying brand name prices for formula that she did awesome on.

6. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Well, we ended up moving Kaia to the stuff from Costco. I'm sure it has corn syrup because it isn't organic or anything, but it agreed with her belly really well and it was nice not paying brand name prices for formula that she did awesome on.
    The Kirkland stuff? I heard good things about it! But oddly enough- when I google ingredients, it has the exact same first bunch of ingredients as Similac Advanced! Weird lol
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Most formulas do have the same ingredients. I think the difference is where they come from, the amounts, how it is processed, etc. For some reason the Similac Advanced just sucks.

8. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    I'd give her whatever agrees with her tummy the best.
    Caden drinks Gerber GoodStart Protect formula. We tried different kinds, but he tolerates this best.

9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I have gerber good start gentle concentrate in case of emergancy. I picked it because no corn syrups in it, but corn maltodextrin is listed 3 or 4 ingredients in. We are cutting corn syrups out so I don't want my infant to have it either with all the studies coming out with how bad it really is. (England has it banned! ESP from infant foods)
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    ODD was on something like Similac Sensitive. I don't remember exactly. While it was specialized to help with her gas and sensitivities, it wasn't so specialized that it was rare or unusual or needed a prescription. I do remember WIC wouldn't cover it though even with a prescription from her doctor. I don't know what was in it. I stopped giving her breast milk at 6 weeks.

But today, she's a perfectly healthy and smart 6 year old who says her favorite food is peas. If it had corn syrup, it didn't mess her up in any way that anyone knows of or can tell.

YDD is on Enfamil A.R. She had a lot of spit up and tummy issues early on and this is what worked best for her. I stopped giving her breast milk around 6 months and went to formula and pureed baby food only. She's a 50% for everything (since birth), staying right on course for her growth chart, perfectly healthy, developing fine (even a little early in some things now) 9 month old.

I don't think Enfamil AR has corn syrup in it. Here's the ingredient list:

nonfat milk powder, vegetable oil (palm olein, coconut, soy, and high oleic sunflower oils), rice starch, lactose, maltodextrin, galactooligosaccharides [type of prebiotic], and less than 1% of a bunch of other stuff.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast