Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New BF study

1. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho

New BF study

Advertisements
    Science You Can Use: What does snoring have to do with breastfeeding? | Best for Babes

A study just out in Pediatrics has many people trying to connect the dots between three seemingly unrelated issues: snoring, behavioral problems, and breastfeeding.

This prospective study looked at 250 Cincinnati children aged 2 to 3. The goal: to determine whether persistent snoring in this age group is associated with behavioral and cognitive problems, and to identify factors predictive of snoring. Persistent snoring was defined loud snoring (reported by parents) 2 or more times per week, at ages 2 and 3.

The findings? Persistent snoring was associated with higher rates of hyperactivity, depression, and attention problems.

The strongest predictors of snoring? Lower socioeconomic status and not breastfeeding or breastfeeding for a short period of time.

In fact, none of the 250 children who had breastfed for one year or more were persistent snorers, while nearly 25% of those who were not breastfed or breastfed for a month or less became persistent snorers.

The authors concluded: “We found that children who were fed breast milk, especially across longer periods, were at markedly lower risk for persistent snoring, even after controlling for potential confounding variables.”

The authors note that this finding is consistent with prior research:

Two epidemiologic studies that coded breastfeeding dichotomously reported similar findings, and a study of habitually snoring children found that longer duration of breastfeeding between 2 and 5 months of age was associated with greater protection from obstructive sleep apnea.

So, why would that be? The authors note:

Authors of the latter study speculated that the act of breastfeeding promoted the development of a healthy upper airway structure and that breast milk provided immunologic protection against infections that promote sleep disordered breathing.

This discussion reminded me of the late Dr. Brian Palmer, a dentist who devoted much attention to the question of breastfeeding and its relationship to normal development of the oral cavity and surrounding structures. As part of his investigation Dr. Palmer studied the skulls of humans born before the widespread use of bottles and pacifiers.

In this fascinating discussion of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and breastfeeding, he noted:

An article published in 1997 by a sleep research team from Stanford describes a formula for predicting OSA. It states that individuals with high palates, narrow dental arches, overjets (lower jaw retruded), and large necks who are overweight are at risk for OSA. The information is extremely significant when one realizes that evidence from skulls shows that before the invention of baby bottles and pacifiers, high palates, narrow dental arches, and overjets were rare.

A high palate can impact occlusion and breathing. It can also narrow the upper dental arch and cause a crossbite. Since the roof of the mouth is also the floor of the nose, any increase in the height of the palate decreases the volume size of the nasal chamber. This decreased size can then increase the air resistance through the nose. High palates also lead to a narrowing of the posterior nasal aperture or choanae (skull opening at the back of the nose). A smaller opening means a narrower opening into the soft tissue section of the airway.

How does the breast impact the normal development of these structures? Dr. Palmer wrote:

While the soft breast adapts to the shape of the infant’s mouth, anything firm requires the mouth to do the adapting. In addition, during breastfeeding, the tongue moves in a peristaltic motion underneath the breast. This motion is critical for the proper development of swallowing, alignment of the teeth, and the shaping of the hard palate.

Dr. Palmer noted that there are other factors which might have influenced these changes. But he concluded, “The best prevention (for OSA) is breastfeeding and keeping objects like pacifiers out of the mouth.”

The authors of this recent study might well agree.
    Interesting!! Both my babies started out snorers (right out of the womb) but DD has no problem now and DS is getting better!
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    This explains a lot about why dh has such a messed up mouth. Not breastfeeding for him and he was a thumb sucker. Poor guy could be avoiding all these surgeries if his mom might of went away with the bottle. He's not a horrible snoring thank goodness.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    I always find these studies interesting, though they never change my mind. I guess we are just lucky. We don't snore, neither do the kids, and we all have good teeth. Not one of us was breastfed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    This explains a lot about why dh has such a messed up mouth. Not breastfeeding for him and he was a thumb sucker. Poor guy could be avoiding all these surgeries if his mom might of went away with the bottle. He's not a horrible snoring thank goodness.
    Or if his mother got him away from sucking his thumb? I've heard that is far, far worse than feeding a baby through a bottle.

4. verabot89
    verabot89
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    Some of that is entirely genetic too. I have a messed up mouth, needed braces for a long time, can't breath for shit through my nose... and I was breastfed past one year.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

5. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    DS snores, just a little. I think it's kind of cute though and it doesn't seem to bother him.

6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I don't think I have heard either of my girls snore. That surprises me a little just because I am a snorer and they are both so much like me.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Eh, DH snores like freight train (well, thats what it sounds like) and was breastfed for a while, I was BF for a few weeks and don't snore.

Think a lot more factors come into play here then what the child is fed, if it even makes a difference.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The study makes my giggle. My daughter was exclusively BF for over a year. And I mean the girl would NOT take a bottle from anyone, she went straight to using a cup and almost all of her nourishment was BM, all I did before her first birthday was the giving her single ingredient foods to test for allergies and then some finger foods to get her use to sitting in her high chair. She snores and it sounds like a jet engine is running in her room! My son would take the occasional bottle from someone if I was out doing something and I don't think I've ever heard him snore.

It makes you wonder sometimes exactly how "professionally" data is collected for some of these studies.

To add, I was BF, don't snore and have ADD. My son was BF, doesn't snore and has ADD. My daughter, the jet engine when she sleeps? No ADD, depression or hyperactivity.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Laughable. That's all I'm going to say.
  10. Senior Member
    Eh, my uncle was the only one breastfed and he snores scary loud.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast