Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess what

1. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho

Guess what

Advertisements
    Beckham is lip-tied (duh..knew that). He'll have pre-op the 30th and surgery the 4th of September.

I'm so glad that I knew what to look for this time and am able to get it fixed early so that I don't have to deal with the pain for so long like I did with Lorelai

If you ever think that maybe your baby has tongue or lip tie. If nursing is hurting longer than you thought it would, etc. PLEASE contact me! I can tell you all of the signs to look for and give you any info you need!

Just another reason two kids is enough for me! I don't think I could go through this again. Thankfully, Beckham isn't tongue-tied like his sister was though.

and on the 4th please

Thanks
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  2. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

What's lip-tied? Or tongue-tied? If you don't mind me asking. I have no little spawns of myself.

3. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    There is a piece of skin (frenulum or frenum-plural) than connect your tongue to the bottom of your mouth and your lips to your gums. When a baby/person is tongue-tied the frenulum is short or is connected too far forward on the tongue. Keeping the person from being able to stick their tongue out. There are a few different forms, my daughter had what's called a heart-shaped tongue.

A lip tie is when the frenulum is connected too far toward the teeth...there are both bottom and upper lip-ties. My kids are upper lip-tied which if left until after adult teeth start to grow can cause gap teeth. A bottom lip-tie affects speech more than an upper.

All of these things can affect breastfeeding and make it painful and difficult and can mess with your supply.

(I'm going to go find pics of my kids for examples)
    I'm LeAndra

Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  4. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    & I hope everything goes well!

5. i will NOT limbo in Idaho

This is my DD at 15months old...this is also one of the first times I was able to get her to stick out her tongue...after close to a year of trying to get her to. I discovered (me, not a doctor or LC..even though I went to both) her tongue tie when she was 6 months old, but was refused a referral to get it clipped because she wasn't nutritionally deprived..forget the fact I was in pain. I nursed her through the pain and after her 2nd birthday she finally got her tongue AND upper lip clipped. The lip was found by her dentist at her first check-up, a few months before her 2nd birthday.

This is DS and his lip tie. I took this pic 2 weeks ago, when it first occurred to me to check. I got so excited about him not being tongue-tied (he stuck his tongue out in the hospital) that I forgot about the lip for a bit..until the latch trouble didn't resolve.
    I'm LeAndra

Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012

6. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    my daughters lip looks like that too but breastfeeding doesn't hurt me it did for like a week. should i get hers seen by a doc?

7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I hope it all goes well!!!
  8. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

That is very interesting! I had no idea that could happen.

I wish your son all the best with his surgery! I'll keep your entire family in my prayers!

9. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    my daughters lip looks like that too but breastfeeding doesn't hurt me it did for like a week. should i get hers seen by a doc?
    Is the skin connecting her lip to her gums connected almost at her tooth line?

The problem *could* make breastfeeding more difficult when her teeth start coming in..or it may be fine. Both of my kids got callouses on their upper lip because they couldn't move their lip like it was supposed to for a proper latch.

If there isn't a problem with you or her, and she is gaining weight..then there really isn't a reason to get it clipped. Usually if it doesn't rip by itself from a fall or something before they are between the ages of 6-8, or their adult teeth start coming in..the dentist will clip it to keep from having gap teeth.
    I'm LeAndra

Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012

10. Senior Member
    I am tongue tied - just like the "heart tongue" that you posted of your daughter. I breastfed just fine. My husband likes to make fun of me for not being able to stick my tongue out Thankfully, my daughter isn't and our midwife checked at birth.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast