Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeding question... NEED AN ANSWER!

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Feeding question... NEED AN ANSWER!

Advertisements
    Okay so I breastfeed my son. He is 3 months old. Right now he is staying with a babysitter while I'm at work. I normally pump and give her milk for him, but I'v been off the last couple of days and he drained both sides every time he ate so I didn't get anything when I pumped. Now I don't have any milk to give her. Can I send formula with him just for tomorrow or will it totally screw up his system? I don't want to stop breastfeeding, but I don't have any milk to send with the babysitter and I don't know what to do. I need advice badly. Any help is welcome. Any advice on how to up my milk supply is welcome too, because now I'm starting to wonder if he is getting enough to eat. I'm totally getting paranoid about it. Thanks ladies!

Chrysti
  2. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    First of all, it's really common to not be able to pump productively even if you have plenty of milk. So don't let what you're pumping (or not pumping) lead you to believe your supply is low. It is perfectly okay to send him with formula. Some babies might take some adjusting, but others can switch back and forth with no problem. Do you pump while you're at work (to use the next day or whenever)? Do you have a lactation consultant that you can contact for suggestions? There are some things you can do to increase supply--herbal supplements, etc.--if that is an issue.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    If you have to supplement, then you have to supplement. Don't worry about a little bit of formula but don't get dependent on it either.

Have you tried fenugreek?

4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BethM View Post
    First of all, it's really common to not be able to pump productively even if you have plenty of milk. So don't let what you're pumping (or not pumping) lead you to believe your supply is low. It is perfectly okay to send him with formula. Some babies might take some adjusting, but others can switch back and forth with no problem. Do you pump while you're at work (to use the next day or whenever)? Do you have a lactation consultant that you can contact for suggestions? There are some things you can do to increase supply--herbal supplements, etc.--if that is an issue.
    I do pump at work so I have milk to give her the next day. Idk who my lactation consultant is. Bad I know.

Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    If you have to supplement, then you have to supplement. Don't worry about a little bit of formula but don't get dependent on it either.

Have you tried fenugreek?
    I don't want to get dependent on formula, I like the breastfeeding and its benefits for his health. I have never heard of fenugreek. What is it?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Fenugreek is amazing! I still use it - it also helps with the digestive system - it basically kicks up your supply.
  6. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineLuv_21 View Post
    I do pump at work so I have milk to give her the next day. Idk who my lactation consultant is. Bad I know.

I don't want to get dependent on formula, I like the breastfeeding and its benefits for his health. I have never heard of fenugreek. What is it?
    Of course. I'm a huge fan of breastfeeding when you can, but if formula is all you have for the sitter one day don't worry.
    Fenugreek is a supplement that can help increase your milk supply. The downside is you do have to take a LOT of it, and it makes you smell kind of like maple syrup. My friend took it and it did wonders for her supply!

7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    I think it's fine to supplement! Your so lucky he will take a bottle! I have been trying and trying to get my 4 plus month old girl to take a bottle every now and then I have bought 5 different types...no go!!!
  8. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    Of course. I'm a huge fan of breastfeeding when you can, but if formula is all you have for the sitter one day don't worry.
    Fenugreek is a supplement that can help increase your milk supply. The downside is you do have to take a LOT of it, and it makes you smell kind of like maple syrup. My friend took it and it did wonders for her supply!
    I'm gonna have to pick some up at work tomorrow and try it out. I like maple syrup so it shouldn't be too bad, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyof6 View Post
    I think it's fine to supplement! Your so lucky he will take a bottle! I have been trying and trying to get my 4 plus month old girl to take a bottle every now and then I have bought 5 different types...no go!!!
    I got the Dr. Brown bottles. He likes those ones and the Similac one, but Avent bottles, try to give him milk in that and he gives you dirty looks and splits it at you. Similac he doesn't mind. It takes him a minute to actually start drinking from it, but the Dr. Brown he has no problems with.
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    has he actually had formula before? He might not take it since the taste is soo different and the same taste. (breastmilk tastes change) I tried giving my son formula at 4 months and it sent him into a bottle strike.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    has he actually had formula before? He might not take it since the taste is soo different and the same taste. (breastmilk tastes change) I tried giving my son formula at 4 months and it sent him into a bottle strike.
    My DD did this, too....it was a babysitting issue as well.... she was not happy and threw out the possibility to pump and bottle feed... If OP is going to supplement, I would at home to slowly introduce the concept so that its not a new thing with a new person...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast