Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Beckham's Birth Story &pics **Long**

1. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho

Beckham's Birth Story &pics **Long**

Advertisements
    I finally got around to writing this. It is written TO Beckham, so keep that in mind when you read it

Beckham’s Birth Story

We had been waiting and waiting for you to be born. You were 6 days past your estimated due date and the doctor was threatening to induce me if you didn’t come soon! I was not happy about that at all, because I knew that you just needed some more time and you’d come when you were ready!

I started having contractions off and on almost a week before you were born, they weren’t regular or consistent and I wasn’t really in labor, but my body was getting ready! The Saturday before you were born I thought I might be in labor, but it stopped and I knew I wasn’t, your Nana and Papa came down anyway because Nana just knew you would come soon. You made her wait a little longer than she thought though!

All week I was on the birthing ball and doing all sorts of crazy things to try to make you get into position to be born! The day before you were born I did even more and I’m sure I looked very silly as big as my stomach was and me doing lunges!! It seems to have worked though because that night I went into labor!

At 1am on July 12th I woke up with pain. I wasn’t sure in my half-asleep state if it was pelvic pain or I had just dreamed it, or if it was a contraction. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom; soon I had another contraction and was pretty sure it was labor so I started timing.

The next two contractions came seven minutes apart, and then the next was only 4 minutes! I tried to wake you dad up and told him, “I’m having contractions.” He just sort of grunted and stayed asleep. I timed another contraction and it was two and a half minutes then another one and a half minutes form that one! I shook your dad and told him, “I’m in labor!” That time he woke up and started paying attention! The contractions were coming very fast (at two and a half minutes then one and half) and they were quite painful. I woke up Nana and told her I was in labor and getting ready to go to the hospital. I changed into my labor gown while your dad called labor and delivery.

I sat on the birthing ball for a minute while I called Jackie (my doula), the contractions were too strong for me to walk or talk through already. Jackie stayed on the phone with me through two contractions, she asked if we wanted her to meet us at the hospital and I told her that we’d wait until they checked me in. I had to get off of the phone because I was getting sick and I knew it was time to go!

Right before we were going to walk out of the door Lorelai woke up because of the commotion and was upset that we left without her, it was very hard…but we had to go. I hugged Lorelai and she stayed with Nana while we went to the hospital. Nana told her that you were coming soon!

Thankfully there wasn’t any traffic because you were coming fast! When we got to the gate the man looked in the car and saw me and just waved us through! We had to stop walking a couple of times on the way into the hospital because of contractions but we made it into the triage room around 3:20AM. The nurse tried to make me change into the hospital gown but your dad told him that my gown was basically the same thing and the doctor said it was fine, so I was able to wear the pretty and comfortable gown that Melissa gave me. I was very happy about that!

They hooked me up to all of the machines and checked me. I was at 4cm but the contractions were coming every two to three minutes. One nurse told me that I was just in the beginning and I remember thinking that there was no way I could do this for 6 more hours! Jackie called and talked to your dad and I told her to please come now!
    Your dad was amazing and kept wiping my face with a cold rag because I was so hot! He held my hand and told me he loved me and was with me the whole time! I am so lucky to have him there and so supportive.

It felt like forever before they FINALLY moved me into a labor room (it was actually about thirty minutes). A doctor who was working came in to explain some paper work to me and have me sign it while the nurses were trying to get an IV started…all while I was having lots of contractions. It took two nurses and four sticks before they got an IV in. Jackie got there while they were trying to get it all done; she said she could tell when she walked in that it wouldn’t be long before you came!

I got the paper work signed and the IV was started and I told Jackie, “I need Nubain. It didn’t hurt this bad with Lorelai!” All the time thinking that I just couldn’t be in this much pain for 6 more hours because the nurse had told me it would take a while. My body was telling me there was no was way it would last that long, but if I was really only 4 cm still it could be a while. Jackie calmed me down and reminded me that I could get up in a minute and we could try different positions and I agreed and didn’t request the Nubain from the doctor.

I asked where Dr. Kramer (my doctor) was and they said he was being paged. The doctor on the floor checked me and I was already at a “stretchy” 8cm!! She told the nurses to call Dr. Kramer now! When they told me how dilated I was I said, “Well that explains why it hurts so frekin bad!” Once the doctor was finished with me I could concentrate more. Jackie put pressure on my thighs to try to relieve the pain and your dad kept wiping my face and encouraging me.

I couldn’t take the pain laying down any more so I sat up in the bed, the nurse (Lisa, she was my nurse when Lorelai was born too) had to come in and move the monitors around to find your heart beat. I absolutely hate to have my stomach touched when I’m in labor and asked her if she had to do that. She said, “Yes we have to make sure the baby is okay.” I replied, “He’s fine!” But, I let her do it anyway and tried to ignore it while I was leaning over pillows, sitting cross-legged on the bed. They had to move the pillows so Jackie helped support me through the contractions and when I passed out between them. I am so blessed to have such support around me!
    I started having the urge to push and Lisa checked me and said I was at 10 but there was still some cervix (plus my water hadn’t broken) and to try not to push…easier said than done. Dr. Kramer came in just a bit after that and checked me and all was good, except my water still hadn’t broken. He got the hook to break my water and it was difficult to break just like it was with Lorelai, but he got it and just a tiny bit of fluid came out, but it was clear, which is good!

After he broke my water he got ready and was filling the attending doctor in when I had another contraction and couldn’t help but push! Lisa looked and said, “That’s a baby!” Dr. Kramer turned around and I was ready to push again! The attending doctor told me I had to do small pushes because of how you were coming out and counted to 5 fast two times (If I remember correctly) and one more big push and you were out at 5:37am! You came out both shoulders at the same time; Dr. Kramer called you a linebacker and was very surprised that I didn’t have any tears.

You were 9lbs 2.4oz and 20 1/4in long! Your face was bruised because of how fast you came out and I called you “my little smurf baby,” but you were beautiful and perfectly healthy with a 9/9 APGAR score. You were a little big so they checked your blood sugar a few times, but there was no problem. You barely got jaundice and nursed really well.
    Lorelai loved coming to meet you and told everyone, “That’s my baby brother Beckham!” She held you and pet you and hugged and kissed you. Lorelai is a very good big sister and loves you very much.

We went home the next day because the hospital needed beds and we were both doing so well! I was very happy to go home early so that we could all be together as a family. Nana and Papa went home Saturday, but were so happy they were here to meet you!

You are very loved and our family is so blessed!

I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love it You did great. He was HUGE!!! He will love this to.
  3. Senior Member
    Congrats. He's so precious.
  4. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by HeismineImhis View Post
    I love it You did great. He was HUGE!!! He will love this to.
    LOL he is huge! Hurt a lot more than his sister coming out too!
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  5. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Aww, he is so adorable!
  6. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    He is just adorable!!

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

aww

8. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

He is adorable! Your whole family is!

9. The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    The army may have my man, but I have his heart.
    Blog Entries
    he is so adorable!