Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Diapering

1. Gonna Be Alright.
    Gonna Be Alright.

Cloth Diapering

Advertisements
    Im really considering cloth diapering baby bean. I know quite a few of you have fluffy butt children and was hoping you could help me out by explaining it all to me or even linking me to some of your favorite sites. Any tips, tricks, or advice are greatly appreciated and I would love if you shared some of your favorite products.
  2. Senior Member
    I'll have to watch this thread because I'd like to cloth diaper our next little one when we have one. I was hesitant with my previous 2 because I don't know much about it.
  3. Senior Member
    There is a stickied thread in the General Parenting Forum with a lot of information about cloth diapering.

Research is key. Learn about the different types of diapers and determine which ones sound like you would like them. Buy at least a couple different types/brands of diapers to try at first so that you can see which ones you will like. Don't get intimidated. There is a TON of information out there about it all but in reality it is fairly simple. Research different detergents and check to see what type of water you have (hard/soft - it will make a difference in your washing routine). It will take a little while at first to get a routine down with your washing of cloth diapers but all in all you will get them clean, you may just adjust your routine for the next time you do them. Some diapers will not fit your child right when you first try them but they may fit them later on when they grow a bit. You can sell diapers you don't like to recooperate most of your money spend. They have great resale value.

The one thing that I like to pass on is that you are not obligated to buy the expensive made in america diapers. Yes it is nice to help an american business but reality is that most people chose cloth diapering to save money and spending $20 on one diaper is just sometimes not realistic for some people. At first I felt sort of guilty and like I was shunned in my local cloth diapering community because I had bought some of the "China Cheapie" diapers but honestly they work just as well if not better than some of the american made diapers (for my family that is). My whole stash is composed of them now.

Some people think cloth diapering is disgusting and that you are always touching poop. In my reality, I had to deal with poop more in disposables than I have ever in cloth. DD always has poop-splosions in disposables....everytime. I have had maybe 1-2 poop leaks while cloth diapering and that was mainly because I didnt put the diaper on right.

I hope that helps a little. Make sure to check out the stickied thread in General Parenting, it has a lot of info.
  4. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Check out clothdiapernation.com. It is a forum full of women who have used cloth for MANY years. You can find a review on any diaper you could think of on there also.
  5. Senior Member
    I just started CDing and I buy all mine through co op's so much cheaper!
    Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you.

6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

First determine what "type" of cloth you want to do.

Traditional prefolds with covers? Pockets? All in ones?

Personally I LOVE pockets because it is just as easy as a sposie. You just stuff the insert in and then when it's change time you pull the diaper out and put it on. quick quick quick.

I also buy from Co-Ops (facebook) where a bunch of moms buy together and it lowers the price.
    For pockets my favorite brands are MoDia, Alva, Sunbaby, BumGenius. These are all one size diapers so they fit from birth to potty training. IMO the best bang for your buck so to speak.
    In a coop you can get Alvas for as little as $3 a piece.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I am in the middle of writing a big blog post about cloth diapers and I really just need to finish it. When I do I will link it!

8. Senior Member
    Trina, I am pretty sure you have to have 1000 diapers in order to be able to write a blog. You only have 999 sooooooo you need one more in order to finish the blog
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    First determine what "type" of cloth you want to do.

Traditional prefolds with covers? Pockets? All in ones?

Personally I LOVE pockets because it is just as easy as a sposie. You just stuff the insert in and then when it's change time you pull the diaper out and put it on. quick quick quick.

I also buy from Co-Ops (facebook) where a bunch of moms buy together and it lowers the price.
    For pockets my favorite brands are MoDia, Alva, Sunbaby, BumGenius. These are all one size diapers so they fit from birth to potty training. IMO the best bang for your buck so to speak.
    In a coop you can get Alvas for as little as $3 a piece.
    I started with pockets too and I love my Alvas so far!
    Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you.

10. Senior Member
    I second or third the co-op suggestion. Once my next two orders come in I will have 60 pocket diapers with natural fiber inserts and would have only spent about $350 total because of co-op pricing. You have to wait a little longer to get your diapers but for the price it is worth the wait.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast