Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How exactly do you clean cloth diapers?

1. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful

How exactly do you clean cloth diapers?

Advertisements
    Obviously, I am not a new mom. However, my best friend is pregnant. I know that there's TONS of resources on cloth diapers on MSOS (which I'm going to direct her to) but to satisfy my own personal curiosity, how do you clean them? I've heard of screens that go over the toilet, and also this very foreign concept of a "wet pale" but that sounds really, really gross.

I know, there's always questions about cloth diapering. Help me out here, lovely ladies!
  2. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I think you spray them off in the toilet and them wash them like 50 million times and then they're clean. Not positive though .

3. I'm coming home to you
    I'm coming home to you
    Cloth diapers freak me out |:
    My mom used to use them so if this thread is still open tomorrow I can ask her

Although I'll probably get some weird looks ranging from
    Omg you're thinking about babies I'm so proud
    to
    Omg why are you thinking about babies you're 20 years old
  4. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    hahaha to the PP

ummm lol i have no clue we used Luvs, Huggies and the such.

But I would think you plunk it off in the potty and then soak in warm soapy water then wash the heck out of them.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Lol...I dry pail (put them in a smell-proof, water-proof bag), then soak em in a tub of Oxiclean overnight, put em in the washer with soap once, then without soap once or twice, then dry em. Boom. Done. No stains, no stink.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If it's breastmilk poop, you don't have do do anything since it's water soluable. Anything else gets shaken off into the toilet. All the dirty diapers go into a plastic tote with a lid until wash day when they go in a cold rinse X2 then hot was with soap then rinse X2 again.

It's not glamorous or fun but when I've got the lucky allergic-to-disposable child.
  7. Senior Member
    Soak them in oxiclean and then wash
    just keep swimming
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Lol...I dry pail (put them in a smell-proof, water-proof bag), then soak em in a tub of Oxiclean overnight, put em in the washer with soap once, then without soap once or twice, then dry em. Boom. Done. No stains, no stink.
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    If it's breastmilk poop, you don't have do do anything since it's water soluable. Anything else gets shaken off into the toilet. All the dirty diapers go into a plastic tote with a lid until wash day when they go in a cold rinse X2 then hot was with soap then rinse X2 again.

It's not glamorous or fun but when I've got the lucky allergic-to-disposable child.
    OMG That sounds like such a tremendous use of water!!! And I assume you wash the cloth diapers alone? How often?

Kinda makes me wonder how truly eco-friendly it is. (Mind you, this coming from a desert dweller who has learned that drought is serious business and "only water the yard on Mondays and Thursdays").
  9. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I rinse off any solids (or drop them into the toilet if I can) and then throw them into a plastic bin. Then they go in the wash where they soak for about 15 minutes, wash with some detergent, then get rinsed twice and stuck into the dryer. It's not bad at all.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Luci View Post
    OMG That sounds like such a tremendous use of water!!! And I assume you wash the cloth diapers alone? How often?

Kinda makes me wonder how truly eco-friendly it is. (Mind you, this coming from a desert dweller who has learned that drought is serious business and "only water the yard on Mondays and Thursdays").
    I wash three times a week unless we have an influx of really nasty ones. I'm with you, I don't think it's much of an eco-friendly choice but I don't have a choice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast