Thread: The Pervasiveness of Infant Formula

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

The Pervasiveness of Infant Formula

Advertisements
    http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dd0a08d...rown_IBCLC.pdf
    The Pervasiveness of Infant Formula by Annie Brown IBCLC
    Infant formula was created by the German inventor Henri Nestlé in 1867 for babies who did not have
    access to their own mother’s milk or another mother’s milk. It was meant to be emergency and lifesaving
    nourishment for these malnourished children who could not nurse or whose mothers could not
    breastfeed. But over time, its popularity soared, especially in industrialized countries, and formula began
    to be used as a convenient replacement food when a mother was away from her child, despite the reports
    of poor health in these infants. Once it became acceptable for mothers to work outside the home and
    leave their children with caregivers, breastfeeding became known as a lifestyle choice, not a health
    necessity, synonymous with maternal dependence and loss of freedom. Scientifically prepared formula
    became the new gold standard, and a symbol of feminism in many cultures.
    When the birth rate dropped in the 1960’s, formula companies saw a market in developing countries,
    where “Western” practices were admired. Thanks to aggressive marketing techniques, sales of their
    products steadily increased. Radio, TV and print ads idealizing bottle-feeding started appearing in places
    like Sierra Leone, Senegal and Tanzania in their native languages. Company representatives dressed as
    nurses were sent to persuade mothers to use formula in Singapore. Free formula was given to hospitals
    to hand out to their patients. Poor women who fell for this propaganda were left with a costly
    dependence on canned infant food and empty breasts. Instructions on the package were usually written
    in English, and poor sanitation left mothers reconstituting formula with unclean water. Many babies
    developed preventable illnesses and died at alarming rates.
    In the 1970’s many health organizations began a campaign to reduce infant morbidity and mortality. This
    resulted in a boycott of the Nestlé brand, which controlled the majority of global formula sales. It was
    suspended briefly in 1984 when the company agreed to end its unethical practices but once the boycott
    was lifted, Nestlé reverted to its old ways. The boycott was reinstated and remains in effect today. But
    the sales of infant formula continued to climb. Over a century later, the bottle-feeding model is still
    considered the standard feeding method in many countries.
    The use of formula is so pervasive now that even scientists have been brainwashed into thinking that it is
    the benchmark on which to base their findings. Many researchers persist in presenting formula fed
    children as the control group in their breastfeeding articles, as if formula was the normal infant food. So
    we will continue to read about the ‘advantages’ of breastmilk, as opposed to the dangers of infant
    formula, until they recognize that feeding from the breast is the biological norm.
    In the advertising world, the image of a baby bottle has taken over as the universal symbol for a
    baby; used to promote baby stores, baby clothes, baby products, wrapping paper, greeting cards, candy
    and public family restroom signs. Breastfeeding in many societies is relegated to homes, rest rooms,
    dressing rooms and other private places. Many new mothers have never seen a baby nurse so they don’t
    know how to do it themselves.
    But the pendulum is beginning to swing the other way. The chronic health issues experienced by the
    generations of people who have had less-than-adequate nutrition as infants have caught the attention of
    health care providers worldwide. The United Nations created a Bill of Rights for the Child. The World
    Health Organization Code for Unethical Marketing of Breastmilk Subsititutes has been adopted by 20
    countries. The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative, which promotes breastfeeding and discourages the use of
    infant formula except when mother’s milk is not available, is spreading.
    Laws protecting breastfeeding families, adequate maternity leave, nursing in public and breastfeeding in
    the workplace are springing up in many countries. The Lactation Consultant profession was created to fill
    the gap that grandmothers once did, borne of the lack of breastfeeding knowledge by mothers and
    medical professionals alike. Breastfeeding support groups like La Leche League include hundreds of
    If choosing formula do your research. Between whats in the formula and the actual company behind it they are not all the same. Most of the standard formula by the big companies even have corn syrup in them along with other chemicals. Moms need to start voicing their concerns to formula companies about better quality of food for babies when I mother can't or doesn't want to breastfeed.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    My mom had my oldest sister during the time when breastfeeding was taboo. She worked for an OB and was given free formula for my two oldest sisters. Just goes to show how much times have changed.

However; in many lesser developed countries it is still seen as a sign of wealth to not have to nurse your baby. A friend of mine was on a mission trip when her DD was a baby and she was nursing her with a cover and the women there pulled her cover off and were amazed that she was nursing a baby just like they do. They though that because she was American she wouldn't have to nurse so wouldn't.

Breast or Formula, it's all individual...but I just wish more people did their research!
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  3. The name says it all!
    The name says it all!

I wish it were an option for us but with dd being lactose intolerant, it's not really. Of course, by now, all my milk has dried up so there really isn't a choice. Believe me, had I been able to, I would have prefered to give my daughter breast milk rather than formula.

DH: Thank you. ME: For what, babe? DH: For being you.

4. Senior Member
    Peyton wasn't gaining weight, and I struggled with bf so much and nothing worked. I was not willing to let her go hungry so formula it was.
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadeebaby View Post
    My mom had my oldest sister during the time when breastfeeding was taboo. She worked for an OB and was given free formula for my two oldest sisters. Just goes to show how much times have changed.

However; in many lesser developed countries it is still seen as a sign of wealth to not have to nurse your baby. A friend of mine was on a mission trip when her DD was a baby and she was nursing her with a cover and the women there pulled her cover off and were amazed that she was nursing a baby just like they do. They though that because she was American she wouldn't have to nurse so wouldn't.

Breast or Formula, it's all individual...but I just wish more people did their research!
    It seems so few moms actually do research between which formula, they just go blindly or with what friends/family/marketing they see. Really if you look into the tops main formula's around its filled with things babies really should not be getting.
    Article is about doing your research and how main stream formula was created.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Understanding Nutritionism And The Problem With Infant Formula | Breastfeeding Moms Unite
    This lady makes a lot of good points about reading what your giving your child.
    I also really like what your bottom quote says cause it goes perfect with a lot of my posts.
    Note: This post is not meant to make anyone feel guilty for choices they’ve made. It is meant for educational purposes only. Toss the guilt out the window and empower yourself for the future. And if you feel you’ve made an informed decision about any of what I’ve written about then more power to you
    I post things about breastfeeding and formula to educate! A lot of us come to MSOS to learn and ask questions! (I konw I did a SHIT ton when I was first pregnant )
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I guess I just don't see the point in coming in here to give all your excuses why you couldn't breastfeed and attack the OP's post. That isn't even what this thread is about. It is about formula safety. Just because there are 4 brands on the shelf doesn't mean they all have equal nutritional value.

And there is no lactose in breast milk, so that is just confusing to me.
  8. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    I guess I just don't see the point in coming in here to give all your excuses why you couldn't breastfeed and attack the OP's post. That isn't even what this thread is about. It is about formula safety. Just because there are 4 brands on the shelf doesn't mean they all have equal nutritional value.

If you eat lactose then there is some in your milk. If your baby is lactose intolerant then you could cut all lactose from your diet, but a lot of people aren't aware of that and for some reason doctors don't always seem to know it either.

The point of the whole post is that, no matter what your choice is (BF or FF) or your reasons behind it, you should do your research and be informed.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadeebaby View Post
    If you eat lactose then there is some in your milk. If your baby is lactose intolerant then you could cut all lactose from your diet, but a lot of people aren't aware of that and for some reason doctors don't always seem to know it either.

The point of the whole post is that, no matter what your choice is (BF or FF) or your reasons behind it, you should do your research and be informed.
    Okay, I see what you are trying to say here. Most BF moms with a lactose sensitive child just cut the dairy out of their diet so I was confused. I thought you were trying t say that it was part of the BM itself.
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post

To you both just too lazy to double quote from my phone lol
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast