Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Flying with a 6 month old..need tips!

  1. Senior Member
    efiwyvaN's Avatar
    efiwyvaN is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,225
    #1

    Shock Flying with a 6 month old..need tips!

    Advertisements
    In a couple of weeks I'm flying with DD to visit family. I'll be traveling alone with her, gate checking her carseat, and she'll be on my lap. Thankfully, I found a direct flight (both ways) that cuts our time down by several hours.

    I plan on wearing her in the Ergo while in the airport. What should I expect the security checkpoint to be like--with her, her bottles, the carseat, etc.? Any other tips?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    tremblingturtle's Avatar
    tremblingturtle is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    14,195

    #2
    I flew with Anabelle at 6 months, the best thing for me was a stroller. I got super tired of carrying her in the ergo, and she was a little calmer in the stroller.
    Make sure you bring snacks on the plane.

    At security, they will have you carry her through an xray. You still have to take shoes off, and put everything through the scanner. Don't worry about holding up the line. If they are in that big of a hurry, just let them around.
  3. Senior Member
    Sweetie's Avatar
    Sweetie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,698
    #3
    Leave yourself, extra extra time because some of the times I've flown they had to scan, every,single, bottle. even the sealed cans of formula. At 6 months she might sleep through the flight, DD did mostly, except the last bit where we sat next to a nun. She became pre occuipied with wanting to pull on the habit and I spent the next 2 hours apologizing.
    But other than that you should be fine
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,893

    #4
    I wore Aubs in her Ergo at the airport-- GREAT decision because both of my hands were free, which was essential since I was flying alone. Take all liquids (even approve ones like juice, formula/milk, purees, etc.) out of your bag and put them in a little bin-- but DON'T x-ray them. Just hand the bin thing to one of the TSA folks for them to inspect.

    If the baby is in an on-body carrier like the Ergo, Moby, etc. then you don't have to remove them-- you can just go through the metal detector while you're wearing them. I recommend feeding during takeoff and descent to help with the pressure changes. Also bring toys that you can easily wipe clean when they fall on the floor. Oh and ask the flight attendants to make sure that you're in a row that has an extra oxygen mask for on-lap infants.

    Hmmm if I think of more, I'll post it.
    ​​​

    “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    tremblingturtle's Avatar
    tremblingturtle is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    14,195

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I wore Aubs in her Ergo at the airport-- GREAT decision because both of my hands were free, which was essential since I was flying alone. Take all liquids (even approve ones like juice, formula/milk, purees, etc.) out of your bag and put them in a little bin-- but DON'T x-ray them. Just hand the bin thing to one of the TSA folks for them to inspect.

    If the baby is in an on-body carrier like the Ergo, Moby, etc. then you don't have to remove them-- you can just go through the metal detector while you're wearing them. I recommend feeding during takeoff and descent to help with the pressure changes. Also bring toys that you can easily wipe clean when they fall on the floor. Oh and ask the flight attendants to make sure that you're in a row that has an extra oxygen mask for on-lap infants.

    Hmmm if I think of more, I'll post it.
    I think the bolded varries by airport. The first time I flew I used the on body carrier, and they made me take it off. HUGE pain in the butt. That is why on the way back I used a stroller.
    Anabelle was a HUGE fuss in the carrier, but loves the stroller.

    One thing that saved us was the tv's on the air plane. She sat on the tray table, and watched tv for most of the flight.
  6. Senior Member
    Sweetie's Avatar
    Sweetie is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7,698
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    I think the bolded varries by airport. The first time I flew I used the on body carrier, and they made me take it off. HUGE pain in the butt. That is why on the way back I used a stroller.
    Anabelle was a HUGE fuss in the carrier, but loves the stroller.

    One thing that saved us was the tv's on the air plane. She sat on the tray table, and watched tv for most of the flight.
    Defiantly agree! DD watched happy feet 2 without the sound
  7. Senior Member
    efiwyvaN's Avatar
    efiwyvaN is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,225
    #7
    DD prefers the Ergo to her stroller, so that is one reason I'm going with that. The other is that she's not in an infant carseat, we have a Britax convertible. That will be fun on its own to roll through the airport. I don't think I could manage that and a stroller.

    Does anyone know if there are empty seats, can I ask that the carseat comes on board? Or are they strict about having to purchase a seat for it?
  8. Senior Member
    daisyluvbug's Avatar
    daisyluvbug is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,935
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    I flew with Anabelle at 6 months, the best thing for me was a stroller. I got super tired of carrying her in the ergo, and she was a little calmer in the stroller.
    Make sure you bring snacks on the plane.

    At security, they will have you carry her through an xray. You still have to take shoes off, and put everything through the scanner. Don't worry about holding up the line. If they are in that big of a hurry, just let them around.
    I did not have to remove DD for the Xray at the HNL airport or the MSP airport. They did swab my hands though. I don't have experience at any other originating airport, though. DD was in a Beco Gemini.

    I found the stroller to be cumbersome and DD didn't like it. Each parent/baby is different though. With ODD the stroller was a lifesaver in the airport. At six months old, YDD wasn't eating solid foods, so I didn't bring snacks, though it's not a bad idea at all! I had little things to entertain her (toys, blanket, her favorite frog) but she has a tendency to sleep during flights.

    I always take advantage of the pre-boarding for families traveling with children under the age of five. I can get in and settled without causing a hold up for the other passengers.
  9. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    *IGrow'EmXL*'s Avatar
    *IGrow'EmXL* is offline
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    36,179
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I wore Aubs in her Ergo at the airport-- GREAT decision because both of my hands were free, which was essential since I was flying alone. Take all liquids (even approve ones like juice, formula/milk, purees, etc.) out of your bag and put them in a little bin-- but DON'T x-ray them. Just hand the bin thing to one of the TSA folks for them to inspect.

    If the baby is in an on-body carrier like the Ergo, Moby, etc. then you don't have to remove them-- you can just go through the metal detector while you're wearing them. I recommend feeding during takeoff and descent to help with the pressure changes. Also bring toys that you can easily wipe clean when they fall on the floor. Oh and ask the flight attendants to make sure that you're in a row that has an extra oxygen mask for on-lap infants.

    Hmmm if I think of more, I'll post it.
    Yeah, the first time I flew with Landon, they made me take him out and the carrier off.

    The second time I flew with Landon at 7 months old, since he was 25lbs at the time, there was no way my back could handle in and out of airplane/airports with him on me, so the umbrella stroller was my lifesaver (checked it at the gate).

    Definitely try feeding/pacifier during take off and landing. Also if there's a special show/dvd the your LO loves, and if you have a portable DVD player, I highly suggest it.

    DS slept through our flights, but personally I'll never flight with him in my lap again. Maybe if he didn't weigh so much it wouldn't have been as bad, but I was hurting and exhausted by the end of it (darn chunky kids these days)

    Oh and just an FYI incase you didn't know You can still bring a carry on as well as the diaper bag.

    Tons of for a safe and easy flight


  10. Senior Member
    daisyluvbug's Avatar
    daisyluvbug is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,935
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by efiwyvaN View Post
    DD prefers the Ergo to her stroller, so that is one reason I'm going with that. The other is that she's not in an infant carseat, we have a Britax convertible. That will be fun on its own to roll through the airport. I don't think I could manage that and a stroller.

    Does anyone know if there are empty seats, can I ask that the carseat comes on board? Or are they strict about having to purchase a seat for it?
    You can rent a SmartCarte, too. Be careful gate-checking the seat. We made the mistake of not padding it well enough and our Britax broke on the last flight we took. We saved the box from the new seat we bought so we could use that for any future flights. It was lesson learned the hard way for us.

    I have never attempted to bring a seat on the plane with me, so I don't have any personal experience. I do know someone here who was offered a free seat for her lap infant on Alaska Airlines. Best thing to do is verify with the airline that you're flying.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •