Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids- cereal?

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Question Starting solids- cereal?

Advertisements
    Does cereal have to be the first solid or can you start off with a vegetable instead? I understand cereal is chosen because it is hard to be allergic to and easy to mix with formula or breastmilk, but I was just wondering if you COULD start with something else.

(I was going to wait until 6 months to start C on solids, but he seriously never seems satisfied w/ BM or Formula so I am thinking about starting at 4 months instead. His doctor says it is okay, so I reallllly don't want to get into a debate about how that's too early.)

2. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    I started my twins on "real" food at 4 months and they are fine!

You don't have to start with cereal. I did with my twins but started Fatty with veggies first. My pediatrician with the twins suggested starting with veggies before fruit just so they don't get used to the sweeter taste and want only that.
  3. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Leo just made 6 months today and I started giving him solids to try out since 5 months. So far I've given him banana, avocado, sweet potato and pears. I'm trying other things before I bother with cereal.

I look at this site when I'm trying to think of things to have him try.
    Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Make fresh baby food, healthy homemade baby food with our easy baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!
  4. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Whoops! Double post.
  5. Senior Member
    DD hates cereal and oatmeal so I was giving her veggies pretty early
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Do your research on food. Cereal really isn't a good first food and being link with our rising obesity rates.
    Look into baby led weaning. Pretty much giving baby chuncky of food and teaching baby to chew food not just swallow it like liquid. Also teaches baby to feed himself and stop when full not just take food put by his face.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Do your research on food. Cereal really isn't a good first food and being link with our rising obesity rates.
    Look into baby led weaning. Pretty much giving baby chuncky of food and teaching baby to chew food not just swallow it like liquid. Also teaches baby to feed himself and stop when full not just take food put by his face.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Katheros View Post
    I started my twins on "real" food at 4 months and they are fine!

You don't have to start with cereal. I did with my twins but started Fatty with veggies first. My pediatrician with the twins suggested starting with veggies before fruit just so they don't get used to the sweeter taste and want only that.
    That's exactly why I don't want to start with fruit. I know my son, and that's all he will want.

Quote Originally Posted by =Mrs.AiNokeA= View Post
    Leo just made 6 months today and I started giving him solids to try out since 5 months. So far I've given him banana, avocado, sweet potato and pears. I'm trying other things before I bother with cereal.

I look at this site when I'm trying to think of things to have him try.
    Wholesome Homemade Baby Food Recipes, Make fresh baby food, healthy homemade baby food with our easy baby food recipes, solid food tips, baby nutrition & more!
    Thank you, I will definitely check that site out. Good to know I don't have to do cereal first. It just seems like a whole lot of hassle.

9. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    DD hates cereal and oatmeal so I was giving her veggies pretty early
    Okay, good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    I have read about it, but I'm just worried that he will choke or something. I'm sure he won't, but it still worries me.

10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Baby Led Weaning - The Mush Stops Here!
    We did this with my dd and has been amazing so cheap, and sooo much easier!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast