Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a time limit on nursing?

1. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.

Is there a time limit on nursing?

Advertisements
    Addilynn nursed for about 20 minutes and I was thinking surely she's full but she was still sucking pretty hard so I let her keep going and all of a sudden she backs her head away and projectile puked all over me lol.

Should I stop after a certain amount of time?

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nope, let her eat until she stops on her own. Your milk lets down a few times while nursing so while she may be sucking, she may actually not be getting any at that time because your milk stopped flowing and is coming back. Nursing babies know when they're full and won't overeat like bottle fed babies sometimes will. She's still so little, I wouldn't worry about her puking, she's got a lot more of that coming for you!

ETA: Just reread that and realized that that's kinda confusing, gonna try to say it better
  3. Senior Member
    Did you burp her at all during that time? If you didn't she may have gotten a big air bubble and so her burp actually caused her to "vomit" what she had eaten. Make sure you stop her and burp her after a few minutes and then let her go back to eating. She should stop then when she is full.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    15-30 minutes is a "normal" amount for nursing.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Banned
    Banned
    How do you know how much boobie babies eat? Do you just count it like "10 minutes" versus 3 oz?
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My youngest has acid reflux and I would have to stop after about 10 min and burp. This helped out lots.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    How do you know how much boobie babies eat? Do you just count it like "10 minutes" versus 3 oz?
    You don't really need to know how much a bf baby eats. But you go off the number of wet diapers after a week old they should be getting 6+ wet diapers after a week old.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Did you burp her at all during that time? If you didn't she may have gotten a big air bubble and so her burp actually caused her to "vomit" what she had eaten. Make sure you stop her and burp her after a few minutes and then let her go back to eating. She should stop then when she is full.
    Breastfed babies doesn't usually get air bubbles because there is no air in your boob.

Unless her latch is wrong that shouldn't really be the problem.

Sorry you got puked on chika but there will be lots of that LOL. DD used to projectile puke every time she got the hiccups!!!

Just let her eat, she can regulate herself...she's still getting used to all this too
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  9. Senior Member
    I would burp her half way through. Maybe around 10 minutes and then again when you are done. When E was a newborn she would easily nurse for 30-40 minutes at a time, every 2 hours. It gets much much easier as they get older.

Oh, also, you'll know if she's nursing vs. using you as a paci if you listen and watch her jaw/ear. When they are actively eating her jaw will probably move (including her ear) and you will hear her take little swallows. If not, she's probably just soothing herself and you can try to remove her or give her a paci instead.

PS - E would projectile vomit everywhere if she didn't get burped good and that lasted until she was about 3-4 months old.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubs had acid reflux for the first 6 months. After a month or two, I was told to stop every 10 min and burp her, then relatch. TOTALLY helped her puke less, even though she still had the pain
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast