Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Umbilical Cord

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

Umbilical Cord

Advertisements
    I could've put this in pregnancy, but since I got yelled out for posting there today, I will not again

So I was just watching "I didn't know I was pregnant" and it occurred to me....what in the world happens to your umbilical cord after they cut the baby from it I know I've had a child an all, but I never thought about that until now According to google, it comes out with the afterbirth...but since I had a c-section I'm not familiar with that Did the doctor just take my afterbirth out himself?

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who has wondered this and not known

Oh and on a more random note. While watching that show I also learned the longest recorded pregnancy was 375 days The baby came out perfectly healthy at a little over 11lbs.

The 11lbs...okay, I'd rather not....but over a year pregnant with the same child? Nope...I'm good

2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I believe it comes out when you deliver the placenta since thats what its attached too.... so yeah, your doc took it out during your c-section.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Pretty sure they just toss it out with the rest of the junk...unless you want to keep it for *cough* reasons.
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I believe it's attached to the baby & the placenta. So they cut it from the baby but you have to deliver your placenta as well. And ta-da.

Was I right? Do I win??

ETA: F y'all for hitting submit before me!

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    Twin Wrangler Extraordinaire
    I had them save the placenta from my twins and the umbilical cords were still attached. I didn't have a c section, but I would assume they scoop it all out at once!
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Haha, you dork! They scoop all that nonsense out!

7. Senior Member
    When I first learned about an umbilical cord but I didn't know what a placenta was, I thought it probably just zipped back in like the electric cord on a vacuum cleaner or something tbh lol
  8. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I believe it's attached to the baby & the placenta. So they cut it from the baby but you have to deliver your placenta as well. And ta-da.

Was I right? Do I win??

ETA: F y'all for hitting submit before me!?
    yep!

Baby is attached to the placenta by the cord and that's where all of baby's nourishment comes from.

When you have a C-section they just take out the placenta and suction you out..then it all gets tossed with the medical waste.

If you have a vaginal birth then you push the placenta out and the rest of the cord is attached to it and it also gets thrown out with the waste..unless you want to keep it.

ETA: http://www.bioscience.org/atlases/fe...ures/plac1.htm placenta and cord...it's not a real one so no icky factor.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  9. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Well now don't I feel silly

I guess it's a good thing they didn't say "Scoop that crap out and throw it away will ya..." Hearing "Just put her intestines back in," was enough

10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Pax, Aeon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast