Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Projectile Spit-Up?

1. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries

Question Projectile Spit-Up?

Advertisements
    Ew.

This has happened twice today. Or, one of the times might have been in the middle of the night, I can't remember.

Anywho, Belle will drink her bottle, and then a little while later she spits up BIG TIME. From her mouth to my shirt. LOL. I expected it eventually, but she's just past 2 weeks so it seemed kind of early? Is this normal? Both times, I'm pretty sure the bottle was all formula. (I'm having supply issues so I mix in BM when I can, but it doesn't always happen.)

Also- Yes I burp her. Doesn't always work, but I sure do try!

She's acting normal and still eating, it was just a first for us.
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    First thought is shes eating too much.

Whats up with your supply sweetie?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Google Image Result for http://breastfeedingpinay.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/who_infant-stomach-capacity1.jpg
    Know it stops at a week old tummy size but it shouldn't be much bigger. REally infants dont need much more then 2 oz in the newborn stage. Switching bettwen breatmilk and formula can also be upsetting her tummy its a huge difference. She also might need a different formula.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Could be eating too much. She's been eating 3 oz in one feeding, TOPS. But I think it depends on whether that's made up of BM and formula, just BM or just formula. It's confusing. I thought that was too much but the LC said as long as it doesn't go over that that we should be fine. The formula is the same since we started supplementing.

The supply thing is basically that I am not pumping enough to EBF right now. I'm able to get to the store to get some Fenugreek tonight, so hopefully that'll help.

She has major latching issues, so pumping is the next best thing for us. I'm still trying to latch her, but she won't go on without the nipple shield, and with the shield she hardly moves any milk at all. The other day she latched for an hour and a half, and appeared to be swallowing milk, but had 2 oz from a bottle right after... so clearly that's not working! I've seen the LC's numerous times, and have been given lots of advice. I'm not giving up yet, but it's looking more and more like I'll be pumping for her as long as my supply allows, which really is fine by me. It's the next best thing!
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a hospital grade pump? That's honestly sounds like what you need to be a full supply. Why did the supplement in the first place? Really surprised to see they have her a bottle. Has your lc thought of using a sns to supplement? (bag hangs around your neck and she latches and gets milk from breast and a little tube goes in her mouth) can be used with a breastshiled too to encourage sucking. What can also be helpful is cup feeding her the formula after you breastfeed. That way she gets the comfort of sucking only from the breast.
    Have you tried pumping to get your let down started then latchin her?
    Sorry if any of this is repeats from your lc. I have know lost of women be able to get off the pump and on the breast, and will make your psc and traveling a lot easier.
    I added you to a great fb page. It's my local breastfeeding group but anyone is welcome to it and can ask questions! Sara is amazing and knows so much more then I do
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Also do you just give her the bottle after feeding or what for true hunger signs? Bottles don't give off the same "full" signals that baby gets from the breast.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubs projectile vomited huge amounts in her first couple weeks. It was disgusting, but it's normal.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

If the projecticle keeps happening, let her dr know, could be reflux! Even if she isn't fussy, could be. Jackson had reflux but wasnt fussy with it.
  9. MissOptimistic
    MissOptimistic
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    Do you have a hospital grade pump? That's honestly sounds like what you need to be a full supply. Why did the supplement in the first place? Really surprised to see they have her a bottle. Has your lc thought of using a sns to supplement? (bag hangs around your neck and she latches and gets milk from breast and a little tube goes in her mouth) can be used with a breastshiled too to encourage sucking. What can also be helpful is cup feeding her the formula after you breastfeed. That way she gets the comfort of sucking only from the breast.
    Have you tried pumping to get your let down started then latchin her?
    Sorry if any of this is repeats from your lc. I have know lost of women be able to get off the pump and on the breast, and will make your psc and traveling a lot easier.
    I added you to a great fb page. It's my local breastfeeding group but anyone is welcome to it and can ask questions! Sara is amazing and knows so much more then I do
    Thanks lady! I appreciate all of the advice. Pretty much all of it is advice I've already gotten since I've seen the LC 4-5 times in her short 2 weeks of life! However it's easy to forget things, so thanks for the refresher! There are so many tips and tricks, and we've been trying them all out, and I don't plan on giving up any time soon! It's tough for me to know what's working, because she hasn't shown any progress yet.

The reason she was started on formula/bottle is because she dropped a good amount of weight from her birth weight before we left the hospital and my milk hadn't come in yet. Since she was losing so much, they wanted to make sure she was eating enough, they were worried about her weight. From there we stayed with it because she had dropped more at her 2 day appointment. From there, she did start gaining, but slowly. HOWEVER- now she's past her birth weight and doing great, so I'm glad we supplemented if it meant keeping her weight healthy! But now she's totally spoiled on the bottle. She hates the breast. But I'm still trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    Also do you just give her the bottle after feeding or what for true hunger signs? Bottles don't give off the same "full" signals that baby gets from the breast.
    I feed her about every 2.5-3 hours, once she's been rooting and starts getting fussy. I'm also giving her 2 oz, and if she continues to show hunger signs I'll give her a 3rd. The last NP/LC I saw was good with that, but it's also something I'll be talking to the doctor about at the next appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Aubs projectile vomited huge amounts in her first couple weeks. It was disgusting, but it's normal.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    If the projecticle keeps happening, let her dr know, could be reflux! Even if she isn't fussy, could be. Jackson had reflux but wasnt fussy with it.
    Good to know, I'll bring it up at her appointment on Monday! Thanks!
  10. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Ask her Ped about lactose intolerance, as well. Just to be on the safe side.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast