Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Am I doing enough?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Am I doing enough?

Advertisements
    I know I'm asking a billion questions, but I'm new at this and completely on my own so pleeeease bear with me these next few months

Teddy will be 7 weeks old on Monday I worry that I'm not doing enough with him. He still naps a LOT. Like a lot a lot. If I see him yawn, I'll put him down for a nap so he doesn't get overtired. He naps after every bottle, just about, and he eats 3-4 hours apart...mostly 3 hours apart. Sometimes it's more like 2.5 hours. He's sleeping REALLY well at night now, though, so I figure I must be doing something right.

However, I worry that I'm not stimulating him enough. We do the tummy time mat sometimes, but he gets most of his tummy time on my chest. He has great head control, too, but I still worry it's not enough. I lay him on his activity mat and he'll be entertained for a grand total of ten minutes...tops. He's still too tiny for other toys. I'll hold him and coo at him, but I don't want to overdo that and have him dependent on being held to be happy. Obviously other times he's active would be bathtime (every other day, once in a while every two days if he's keeping clean), diaper changes, and like 20% of his feedings because he enjoys falling asleep on the bottle (while still actively drinking, the little multitasker). Am I doing enough for him? I'm still healing up...my c-section scar is good and I'm officially cleared for physical activity but I blew my knees out getting in and out of the glider incorrectly while holding him. They're still pretty roughed up, but getting better...but it's hard.

And it's also just me. I know that sounds ridiculous, but there's only so much one person can do, ya know? I find myself worrying that I'm not being stimulating enough but it's overwhelming trying to be. Despite him sleeping well at night, I feel guilty about absolutely LOVING his constant naps. I'm really worried that I'm somehow stunting my son's development because I'm just not enough entertainment. For a 7 week old. Yes, I'm ridiculous.

Can I please get some reassurance from my fellow mommies? Or suggestions?
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I have sleepy babies too (as my grandma always said, they are growing when they are sleeping), DD was 18mths old and still taking 3 naps a day. My kids never wanted to play with toys or anything until at LEAST 3 mths, sometimes longer.

you are doing just fine momma, so long as he is eating and growing, let him sleep as much as he wants

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I always found mine as infants to be like kittens. Wide awake, super playful, then bam! down for a nap for a few hours.

I think you and Teddy are fine. I don't think he's sleeping because he's bored. If he's bored but not sleepy, he will let you know and then you find something to entertain him.

You are a good momma. It's not annoying to ask questions. It's being a good momma.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I asked the same thing with DD#1 Yesssss you are doing enough Enjoy this time! Coo with him, talk to him about what you're doing and snuggle; a lot! With DD#1 once she started to move she has yet to slow down and snuggle with me unless she's sick
  5. Senior Member
    Sounds normal to me. I wouldn't worry. I felt the same with my first... and my second, haha.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thank you ladies
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Stop worrying!! You are doing GREAT!

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Stop worrying!! You are doing GREAT!
    I wub you

Now drive a few states over and come hang out with us. And bring those baby cheeks!
  9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Totally normal for some kids to sleep that much. Cadence slept all the time. She is my advanced giftet honor student. Talking to them, holding them, and singing to them are all great things that help them develop. 10 minutes of playing at 7 weeks is amazing. Their attention span is not long at all. You are doing great!!
  10. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    I wub you

Now drive a few states over and come hang out with us. And bring those baby cheeks!
    I would in a second! Image the massive amount of baby photo goodness that would ensue.