Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Formula question, need advice

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Formula question, need advice

Advertisements
    So I have a seemingly insatiable little one...but I think he just needs to suck on something. However, he shows hunger cues and lots of them pretty much allllllll the time. He is 11 lbs 13 oz and 6 weeks old now, and I was feeding him 4 ounces every 3-4 hours. Then the spit up and vomiting began.

Is 3 ounces enough at each feeding for a baby his size? The doc put him on Alimentum, and told me that he wasn't gaining fast enough due to the spitting up.

This post is a jumbled mess but I'm stressed, tired, and confused. He told me to ignore all of the hunger cues, basically. The baby does seem to do better on 3 ounces at a time, but I'm so confused and don't want to ignore him if he's actually hungry. I feel like he's not satisfied with 3 ounces, but what do I know?
  2. Senior Member
    How long has he been on the Alumentium? I was still BF at 6 weeks, but when we bottle fed, Aidan would take up to 6 oz per feeding at that age. He started the Alumentium at about 5 months and now can drink up to 12 + ounces at a time
  3. Senior Member
    My cousin (an APRN at a Ped's office for 10+ years) told me that babies with reflux will show hunger cues because the formula relieves their throats from pain while eating. But, if they eat too much at a time, they spit up more. I went through that bit with DD, it stopped after her throat healed.

To add, DD is 5 months and taking 5oz-6oz every 3 hours, minus nighttime (she takes a bottle around 7 and sleeps through the night).
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

There are people who will tell you to feed whenever baby cries and others who will say to get them on a schedule as soon as you can. At 6 weeks baby should be eating 3-4 oz every 3-4 hrs (roughly). sometimes babies just like to suck on something and a paci helps them, some moms don't like to use pacis. Try things out and see what works best for you and baby

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thank you guys...I guess I'm scared of under feeding him.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    slow down his feedings. it should be taking 10-15 minutes to feed 3-4 ounces.

make sure he has the slowest flow nipple you can get and give him 1 oz, stop, place him on your shoulder to burp, pat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, even if he is fussy and crying.
    feed the second oz, repeat burp process, feed 1/2 oz, burp, repeat until finished.

remember that his little tummy is the size of his fist, if you put too much in too fast it will only come back up and it also takes them 10-15 minutes of eating for thier brains to register they are full.
  7. Senior Member
    Ds was drinking at least 4oz by 12 weeks... usually 6oz. Guess he was just a piggy.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Ds was drinking at least 4oz by 12 weeks... usually 6oz. Guess he was just a piggy.
    That's twice Teddy's age, silly That sounds normal for a 12 week old! At least to me!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    slow down his feedings. it should be taking 10-15 minutes to feed 3-4 ounces.

make sure he has the slowest flow nipple you can get and give him 1 oz, stop, place him on your shoulder to burp, pat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, even if he is fussy and crying.
    feed the second oz, repeat burp process, feed 1/2 oz, burp, repeat until finished.

remember that his little tummy is the size of his fist, if you put too much in too fast it will only come back up and it also takes them 10-15 minutes of eating for thier brains to register they are full.
    we're using the slowest flowing nipple available, and he takes about that long. I do burp him after every ounce, too. Poor little guy, I just want to make this better for him. I'm pretty sure I've been overfeeding him.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KoalaBear View Post
    That's twice Teddy's age, silly That sounds normal for a 12 week old! At least to me!
    Haha. Oops. I'm so out of it today, I think I saw the 11lbs 3 oz and got 12 weeks, haha... We always made 4oz bottles when they were home. Sometimes they finished it, sometimes not. I'd feed him if he seems hungry still. But I know everyone is different.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast