Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: He wont eat!!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He wont eat!!

Advertisements
    My little man was born with a little bit of chunk to him, at 8 lbs 2 oz (anabelle was only 5 lbs 15 oz!!! So he is big to me lol) and I am starting to worry about him.
    I cannot get him interested in eating, like ever. He has lost almost a pound and the doctors are starting to talk formula, which I think would be a killer on my breastfeeding plans. I know a big part of the reason he is dropping weight so much is I just cannot get him to WANT to eat. He does not want to wake up more than every 4 hours, and it is just not cutting it. ANy tips on how to get this little monster to eat?

So far this morning, I have taken his swaddles and shirt of, and changed a dirty bum. He nursed for maybe five minutes and is sound asleep again!
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Keep working on getting him awake with cold clothes. Have you tired expressing some milk and cup feeding an oz? Look at cup feeding.
    Dylan would wake up to eat either. So we cup fed an oz of formula and it woke him up enough to latch and get a real good feeding. I refused to introduce bottles. Every two hours wake him to feed. Every other feed try an oz of formula by cup feeding.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member
    keep trying!!! try cup feeding or even spoon feeding. We had to supplement the twins and it did cause nipple confusion i was really ready to give up because my milk wasn't coming in as well (between the c section and babies not latching well) i just kept pumping after each feeding while supplementing and after a week they both gained a lb and we didnt need to supplement anymore. And finally just yesterday it seems like they are FINALLY getting enough at each feeding. so it took a couple weeks but I'm glad I didn't give up. Just try not to get discouraged

4. Senior Member
    Keep him less swaddled, very lightly clothed and the house cooler. Don't have socks on his feet. Lightly tap or mess with the bottom of his feet while he is feeding.

Move him around as he is feeding to keep him from going to sleep.

You might ask some questions at La Leche as well

La Leche League Mother-to-Mother Forums
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  5. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Keep him less swaddled, very lightly clothed and the house cooler. Don't have socks on his feet. Lightly tap or mess with the bottom of his feet while he is feeding.

Move him around as he is feeding to keep him from going to sleep.

You might ask some questions at La Leche as well

La Leche League Mother-to-Mother Forums

DD did NOT want to wake up to nurse at first! In the hospital the nurse was (IMO) rather rough with her to get her to wake up. I would make sure she at least nursed for 10MIN by keeping her in just a diapey and tickling her feet or wiggling her around.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  6. Senior Member
    Mad wouldn't wake up to nurse either, I just kept rubbing her belly and talking to her. Keep trying, you are doing wonderful and don't let anyone try to convince you to do something you aren't wanting to do. I agree with trying to express some milk and spoon feeding to help him get a taste of the milk. He is latching on properly and staying latched? Have you tried a nipple shield?

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We cant get him to wake up enough to open his mouth.
    When I get him, I check his diaper (Mainly to get the cold air onto his bottom to help wake him) and take his little shirt off. By the time I am back in bed to nurse he is out again. Even with out his shirt and swaddle blanket.

Since he has lost so much weight, the LC came in and watched him latch,and the latch is good she said.

But the good thing is his doctor came in this morning and said they were going to give him a little more time before suggesting formula.
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

TOTALLY NORMAL!

I just wanted to say that right off the bat. I know a lot of doctors will go straight to suggesting formula, but everything you are experiencing is TOTALLY normal. Babies lose a lot of fluid right after they are born, and newborns can be SO HARD to keep awake to eat at first! The previous ladies suggested some great techniques to try and get him to eat longer, but weight loss right away and trouble staying awake for feeding when they are brand spanking new is not a cause for concern. Has your milk come in yet? I am a bit baffled they would even suggest formula so soon. You haven't had a chance to even establish the beginning of a BF routine yet.