Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bfing/solids questions

1. Senior Member

bfing/solids questions

Advertisements
    So today was my boy's 4 months old well check up . His pedi was please with his weight gain etc. he is 14 lbs an 24 inch long ... in the 50% for his age ( he caught up yay! he was a month early).

At his 2 month old she mentioned how if zane had been on time that he could start solids ( specifically applesauce and cereal) at 3mo and at 4 start everything.

for this appt she said he could start veggies fruits and chicken . She also said that it isn't good for Zane to be a "snacker". She said this after I told her he eats about 5-10 mins every hour or two hours , and at night he only wakes up once or twice . She said that it wasn't good for my milk because then i'm not making enough to fill him up and give him what he needs to grow . She said that i need to start spacing it out even if i become engorged that way he could get a full belly and eat longer.

I thought it was perfectly ok to feed on demand ? plus he is growing just fine and even caught up... he was 9 lbs 5 oz at his 2 mo appt and a little below his age group but right on for his adjusted age( he was a 35w1d baby) .

I rather feed on demand... I've notcied she keeps pushing food early too (3 months seems so early to me for even a full term baby & he is 3 mo adjusted). I've realized she isn't a "crunchy" type of dr. ( I wasn't so crunchy with my first so it didn't bother me , and i didn't know the rec then.) ( i think im referred to crunchy b/c cding and cosleeping and bfing)

is it okay to keep on demand feeding ?

I'm a SAHM/online student so it isn't a big deal to feed once an hour for a few mins ESPECIALLY if it mean i get to sleep more at night.

i thought the currect recs were to try not to start solids till 6mo, was i wrong i thought i had read it somewhere ? if i was/am wrong bout that how did you do your solids?

solids 1st or bfing 1st ?
    Due March 19 2009 born at 31w6d,54 day NICU stay(home march 11th w/o anything),4 days on vent,40ish days on O2 after that
    Due March 11 2012 born at 35w 1 d, 11 day NICU stay(home Feb 17 with O2 ),27 days on Oxygen
  2. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    I would be seeking a new pedi. Feeding on demand is still the recommendation and 6 months for solids unless he is showing serious signs of preparedness and interest earlier. I sure as heck would not be starting meats that early! Go with your gut on his feeding both BF and solids- mommy knows best.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Nothing wrong with On demand feeding AT ALL and he is only 4months he doesn't need solids. If you aren't ready to give them to him then don't. I think your pedi is a quack TBH.

Babies don't have complete stomach lining until 6 months old. Food before 1 yr is really for snacking and tasting purposes only not really as much for nutrition or need.

Naomi is 6 months old on Wednesday and she isn't on food. She sucks on chips or fries or whole veggies for fun and teething purposes. Once in a blue moon I will mush up some Banana for her or give her a spoonful of applesauce but that is it. She is BF other than that.
  4. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Yeah, I agree with PPs. I wouldn't be seeing the doctor again. 6 months is the recommended age for solids or 4 months at the earliest if they are ready then.

5. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Breastfeeding on demand is the healthiest for an infant. You are doing the right thing by breastfeeding. Don't doubt yourself for one minute.
    An infant's stomach is not designed/ready for solids yet until 1 year old or after. As PP said: it's mainly to suck on it.

My baby girl will be 6 mo old soon and I have yet to introduce her to solid food. I got constantly bullied by my husband (because her Ped suggested it, he took it as a must or else) and mother-in-law to start her on solids. Heck, my mother-in-law was ready to give her rice cereal at 2 months old if I hadn't put my foot in her ass and said hell no. She does not need solid food, formula is enough and her growth chart proves it.

You are his mommy and you and only you know what's best for your little one. Trust your judgment.

P.S: Even Tricare sent me in the mail an small info sheet where they explained that giving an infant solid food sooner than 6 mo would introduce them to a wide variety of allergies (which I was already aware of).
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    Nothing wrong with On demand feeding AT ALL and he is only 4months he doesn't need solids. If you aren't ready to give them to him then don't. I think your pedi is a uaqck TBH.

Babies don't have complete stomach lining until 6 months old. Food before 1 yr is really for snacking and tasting purposes only not really as much for nutrition or need.

Naomi is 6 months old on Wednesday and she isn't on food. She sucks on chips or fries or whole veggies for fun and teething purposes. Once in a blue moon I will mush up some Banana for her or give her a spoonful of applesauce but that is it. She is BF other than that.

the bold:I am starting to agree too.

i think we are going to find a new one closer to home . (depending on traffic it can be a 15-30 min drive) i have been going there since owen(see siggy) was born & out of the nicu but im not liking it as much now that i know more about being mom

i need to talk to dh bout it because a family friend works there. he really likes it there but i feel like dr.seelinger isnt up to speed on the recs .though i like some of her co-workers...

she didnt know the new car seat recs either ... it kinda rubs me the wrong way

she had to have one of my "liked" drs to come look at zanes eyes because of something she saw or didnt see ...( i asked whats wrong and she said she was going to have a diff dr look at his eye before worrying me) which in turn made me for the whole 5 mins it took to get the other dr ... but his eyes are fine . the other dr said " i think everything's fine i saw it , it was hard because his eyes were watery and the angle of his head where he is looking at"

writing this out makes me see how uncomfortable i really am there
    Due March 19 2009 born at 31w6d,54 day NICU stay(home march 11th w/o anything),4 days on vent,40ish days on O2 after that
    Due March 11 2012 born at 35w 1 d, 11 day NICU stay(home Feb 17 with O2 ),27 days on Oxygen
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRa View Post
    Breastfeeding on demand is the healthiest for an infant. You are doing the right thing by breastfeeding. Don't doubt yourself for one minute.
    An infant's stomach is not designed/ready for solids yet until 1 year old or after. As PP said: it's mainly to suck on it.

My baby girl will be 6 mo old soon and I have yet to introduce her to solid food. I got constantly bullied by my husband (because her Ped suggested it, he took it as a must or else) and mother-in-law to start her on solids. Heck, my mother-in-law was ready to give her rice cereal at 2 months old if I hadn't put my foot in her ass and said hell no. She does not need solid food, formula is enough and her growth chart proves it.

You are his mommy and you and only you know what's best for your little one. Trust your judgment.

P.S: Even Tricare sent me in the mail an small info sheet where they explained that giving an infant solid food sooner than 6 mo would introduce them to a wide variety of allergies (which I was already aware of).

mine too... when Zane turned 2 mo old she tried to feed him baked beans and let him knaw on a chicken bone his tummy bothered him all night... oh and that was the night she tried to have him baptized behind our backs too
  8. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    The other ladies said it best

I EBF Landon until he was 6 months old and then I've been incorporating baby food in place of one meal a day. I'm considering upping the baby food to 2-3 meals a day now though just because he's so big and always so hungry. Follow your instincts mama!

9. AMD
    If she makes you uncomfortable, you really should find a new pediatrician. I'm sure your family friend will understand.
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Oh goodness that ped would get an earfull from me trying to tell a BF infant not to feed on demand and to feed a baby earllier then 4 months!
    Please do some research cause most leading peds will tell you to start with food (not cereal) around 6 months.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast