Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Partum Depression

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Question Post Partum Depression

Advertisements
    I don't know if this should go here or mental health, but oh well I guess!

My question is if anyone else had PPD and chose not to take an antidepressant? I am hesitant to use one because I don't want to become dependent on it; however, it kind of seems more necessary every day. I have been seeing a social worker at the naval hospital who has suggested exercise, mommy groups, and more sleep. The last one just isn't possible because it means DH would have to get up with DS some nights, but I have been doing the other two and it isn't helping much overall. My doctor wanted to prescribe me the meds at my 6 wk checkup but sent me to see her instead since I only want them as a last resort.

Sorry for rambling! I guess I just want to hear from anyone else willing to share her experience.

2. Senior Member
    Sometimes meds are necessary and there's nothing wrong with that. What kind are they suggesting I'd you don't mind me asking? SSRIs aren't the same kind of addicting as say xanax. You can pretty easily decrease your dosage a little at a time when you want to come off of them (under a doctor's care of course). Meds can seem scary, but I'd the other options aren't working it is something worth looking into.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I have no experience really with ppd but maybe you could try vitamin supplements first? Like a more homeopathic route first before taking the step to meds if that's not what you want? I don't know if this thought has any weight to it but maybe it's something to bring up
  4. Senior Member
    What about vitamin d capsules and st johns wort? I took both for a while after my pregnancy and they seemed to help with my ppd. You may want to make sure st johns wort doesnt interfere with your birth control if you're taking any though
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Me

I chose counseling and change of activities/lifestyle in place of antidepressants, because I didn't feel comfortable taking them. What specific questions do you have? I'm still dealing with it-- but it's 1,000 times better than it was a few months ago.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

6. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    I was offered prescription for antidepressants for my PPD but I refused them because of my husband's mil career (he wants to be stationed overseas most of his mil career). I am dealing with my PPD on my own. Not easy but I went the religious route (praying a lot). It helps a bit.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't think you'd become dependent on them. And you wouldn't be on them forever. I think some people I'm sure can overcome it without but I'd say as the days progress and you're not feeling any improvement then you might want to reconsider medication. might also help you enjoy mommy hood a little better!
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I speak from experience- i def didnt get addicted or attached to them. I had to go on them on again just recently. Do what you think is best but don't let it get too bad
  9. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    I realized I posted without offering you . I hope you find the treatment that works for you!
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I have PPD and I have had it for over 2 years. I got it with my birth daughter and it never really went away, and then it really got bad with Naomi. I am not on medication for it but recently have be considering being put on a low dose to just help me out a little bit. I recently became part of a mommy group and that has helped out a great deal.

It took me a long time to realize that my struggles were actually PPD related and then to admit that maybe what I was doing on my own wasn't working. I am still hoping to not go on meds and have some things I am going to try first (more consistent schedule, exercise, mommy group, stopping work etc.) and then if I still am feeling this way I will probably ask my doctor about something.

I have discovered pretty much this week that there is no shame in needing medication for it. OP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast