Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BF help!

1. Love you with all my heart!
    Love you with all my heart!
    Blog Entries

BF help!

Advertisements
    Again asking for my sister

She is staying home until she finds a job so she has already started pumping. I suggested freezing the milk because she has to work and breastfeed otherwise at home. Everyone wants to feed him so she pumps and they feed him. Is it common for the baby to reject a bottle if you don't alternate between the two when they are first born? Should she freeze that milk and BF while she stays at home?

Also she is having major problems with leaking. She wears a nursing bra and double pads and still leaks. Any tips for her?
  2. Senior Member
    As far as the leaking, that's normal. It will regulate eventually - for me it was closer to 10 weeks before I wasn't a milk monster.

I'm not sure what to recommend as far as freezing milk. She will want to be careful not to pump too much, which will cause her supply to think that it needs to increase to those demands.
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Is she using reusable pads or disposable nursing pads?

Also, the alternating between bottle and boob early on can be a hit or miss thing. For some babies, starting that early will make them not want the boob (a bottle is actually easier to get the milk out of so a baby can sometimes develop a "lazy suck," so then when they go back to breast they can occasionally carry this over and BFing itself can be more painful.) There's no set time that is better or worse to incorporate a bottle if that's what she wants, it's completely individual to the baby. Some people find if they wait too long, their baby will refuse a bottle, or if they do it too early, they baby will refuse the boob, or neither can happen. I didn't incorporate a bottle until Landon was around 3 weeks old and he had zero nipple confusion. I honestly only bottle fed Landon maybe a dozen times in 6 months, and he still had no problem taking the bottle when I did.

Freezing the milk is a great idea if she's wanting to store the milk for awhile (it's good for 3 months in the back of a normal fridge, 6 months in a storage freezer). If she's just pumping to have others feed she should store it in the back of the fridge and it's good for 4 days (different people say different things, some say it's good for up to a week, but I personally am not comfortable with risking that).

4. Love you with all my heart!
    Love you with all my heart!
    Blog Entries
    thanks ladies!
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest not pumping till 4-5 weeks till her supply chills out. And from their I would freeze all she can pump so she has a good back up supply for work and days out etc
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress