Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PPD or regular depression?

1. Senior Member

Confused PPD or regular depression?

Advertisements
    My dad called me the other day and said he thinks I have PPD. He said specifically that I sound "down" and not like myself and that's he's worried about me.

Well... we've had 3 deaths in the family in the last 6 months (My Oma - who was basically my mom -only 2 months ago; my grandpa and my husbands grandpa), we have our first PCS in 4-5 weeks and we haven't even gotten orders WHERE yet (hello stress!), money is not as comfortable as I would like it, and I still feel fat and gross from the pregnancy (need to lose 15lbs but already have loose skin hanging off my belly that looks like crepe paper ).

So, basically, in my mind, if I weren't a little depressed, I wouldn't even be human. KWIM? It's crossed my mind in the past that I may actually be having some depression because I've been dropping the ball on some things that I normally wouldn't (Ie: forgot my dad's birthday), but I also have a baby and never had to deal with that before. If anything, I thought I was improving and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I just finished an old book and started a new one. I have even gone to the gym a few times this last week.

2. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    I would talk to your Dr. Here is a link about all the different types of PPD

Do I have a form of Postpartum Depression? : American Pregnancy Association

Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  3. Senior Member
    See, reading those descriptions, I don't think I have PPD, at all.

I was having trouble falling asleep for a while, but it's improving. Being fatigued and feeling overwhelmed seem normal to me when you have a baby in the house.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Giving yourself some slack is a good idea, but it can be a slippery slope. I gave myself some slack having a newborn and having Scott surprise deploy, having no local support, etc., and that snowballed into me not being able to leave the house and my house being a disaster zone. Just...I'd say listen to the people in your life. If they say that you sound off, listen. Because I didn't notice how off I was until other people started telling me how concerned they were.

So my advice would be to talk to your husband and see what he thinks. Then take some time to think about it yourself and if you feel inclined, I would go talk to a counselor at the family support center and see what they recommend. Just see if they think (as an objective observer) that you could use some help. You can talk to your doctor as well, and get their opinion. They can refer you to a psychologist, if you'd like to talk it out with someone.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Giving yourself some slack is a good idea, but it can be a slippery slope. I gave myself some slack having a newborn and having Scott surprise deploy, having no local support, etc., and that snowballed into me not being able to leave the house and my house being a disaster zone. Just...I'd say listen to the people in your life. If they say that you sound off, listen. Because I didn't notice how off I was until other people started telling me how concerned they were.

So my advice would be to talk to your husband and see what he thinks. Then take some time to think about it yourself and if you feel inclined, I would go talk to a counselor at the family support center and see what they recommend. Just see if they think (as an objective observer) that you could use some help. You can talk to your doctor as well, and get their opinion. They can refer you to a psychologist, if you'd like to talk it out with someone.
    This even if you feel okay now it may not be a bad idea to go to a counselor, just to get things off your chest and sort through your thoughts. I think anyone would be stressed out in your situation, and could benefit from talking it through
  6. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I'd just discuss with your dr. I have PPD and it didnt really hit me until months later and then at some point, i realized that i just needed some help so..