Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies with C-Sections who Breastfed

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

Question Ladies with C-Sections who Breastfed

Advertisements
    Okay, I have a random question for ladies who've had c-sections

After your c-section did your doctor give you both while in the hospital and to take home, actual pain killers (along the lines of vicodin, percoset, etc) even if you were BFing?

My doctor did and said that it wouldn't harm DS unless I did it for months on end. The only real side effect it would have would be that it would make him a bit sleepier. I ended up taking them for nearly 3 weeks and Landon hasn't seemed to suffer an ill effects.

Now onto my reasoning for this question When I was at the ER 2 days ago, the doctor prescribed me vicodin for my pain but told me I'm not allowed to BF for 24 hours after taking it I'm thinking that he just isn't an expert in OB/Peds and medicine, but part of me is now wondering if maybe my original OB as well as my regular doctor are

So, were you prescribed pain killers after your c-section?

Just to state, I don't plan on taking a bunch of the ones I was prescribed and if I take any, I plan on doing it right after a feeding so I have at least 4-5 hours before he needs to eat again.

2. Moderator

I was prescribed pain pills after my C-section. I had to pump initially because the baby was in NICU. Anyway, it was fine.

Later on, with her and later with my youngest child, I was prescribed pain pills a few different times. As long as they are Tylenol based, like Vicodin or Percocet, it's fine. I nursed my youngest for over 2 years and had to have them after a surgery. I was assured by my LC that it was fine.
  3. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    I was prescribed pain pills after my C-section. I had to pump initially because the baby was in NICU. Anyway, it was fine.

Later on, with her and later with my youngest child, I was prescribed pain pills a few different times. As long as they are Tylenol based, like Vicodin or Percocet, it's fine. I nursed my youngest for over 2 years and had to have them after a surgery. I was assured by my LC that it was fine.
    See, that's what I thought. I mean, I'm sure a narcotic could be harmful to both DS (and myself for that matter) if it's overdone or abused, but when the ER doctor told me that I was a little confused considering I was on percoset for 3 weeks when he was a newborn (when I would think that would be the most crucial time). I think I just needed some reassurance

4. Moderator

Definitely pain meds after the c-section. The benefit to you is worth the risk to the baby. C-section recovery absolutely requires pain management, so if you need them, you need them. I didn't see what you went to the ER for though. I, personally, would probably choose to breastfeed and take the meds as infrequently as I could manage, but it's safest for the docs to advise you against it at all. I won't even advise it, just tell you what I personally would do.
  5. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Definitely pain meds after the c-section. The benefit to you is worth the risk to the baby. C-section recovery absolutely requires pain management, so if you need them, you need them. I didn't see what you went to the ER for though. I, personally, would probably choose to breastfeed and take the meds as infrequently as I could manage, but it's safest for the docs to advise you against it at all. I won't even advise it, just tell you what I personally would do.
    I've been having severe chest pain from tearing some ligaments on my ribs. I definitely didn't plan on taking them unless I really need to or regularly, but a girl can only take so much

6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    See, that's what I thought. I mean, I'm sure a narcotic could be harmful to both DS (and myself for that matter) if it's overdone or abused, but when the ER doctor told me that I was a little confused considering I was on percoset for 3 weeks when he was a newborn (when I would think that would be the most crucial time). I think I just needed some reassurance
    Yeah, I think sometimes ER doctors do their best, but they aren't always knowledgeable in everything...especially nursing and such. There are so many do and don'ts of what to take when pregnant/nursing. I think it's easier for them to cast a blanket statement of do not take while nursing.
  7. Moderator

I've been having severe chest pain from tearing some ligaments on my ribs. I definitely didn't plan on taking them unless I really need to or regularly, but a girl can only take so much
    Um... OW? That sounds horrible! I definitely think you should take them when you need them. I hope you feel better soon!
  8. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Yeah, I think sometimes ER doctors do their best, but they aren't always knowledgeable in everything...especially nursing and such. There are so many do and don'ts of what to take when pregnant/nursing. I think it's easier for them to cast a blanket statement of do not take while nursing.
    Yeah, that makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    Um... OW? That sounds horrible! I definitely think you should take them when you need them. I hope you feel better soon!
    Thanks The most likely culprit unfortunately was picking Landon's 21lb butt up wrong, especially since it's on the side that I favor when picking him up/holding him

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Oh gosh, is that what happened?! I had been wondering!
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Moderator

(806)-352-2519 or InfantRisk Center

Those are good places to look, if you don't have an LC, to answer breastfeeding and medication questions too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast