Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *tmi maybe* Blood in spitup

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

*tmi maybe* Blood in spitup

Advertisements
    [Let me preface this by saying that I have already called the doctor's office and they seemed relatively unconcerned and have a nurse calling me back.]

DS has had bloody spit up after every feeding for about a day and it is starting to worry me a little bit. I'm like 90% sure it is my blood and not his because my nipples have been REALLY sore lately and look a little bit cracked maybe. I don't have a fever so I don't think it is an infection. He does not have any other symptoms and isn't really acting much different. He could be a little fussier and a bit hungrier maybe, but that is probably because he is spitting up more and keeping less milk down. Ugh, I really just don't know.

Has anybody else had this happen with their little ones? My mom was a pediactric nurse for years and said she can't remember seeing this. When I googled there was not that much information on it either. I'm just so stressed out that something is seriously wrong with one of us and that we won't be able to keep BFing.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't think it will really hurt anything, other than your poor boobies

Maybe a trip to a LC will help, from what I know, it means he might not be latching on right. Make sure you are keeping your nipples dry, and changing breast pads often.
  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Yeah, we've not had the best time BFing from the very beginning. I am using lanolin and changing my breast pads often so I guess there is not much more I can really do.

4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    It's fine if he's gettin bit of your blood from nursing. Make sure your treating your nipples. Dry them then rub some breastmilk on them then put yur choice of cream on.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Moderator

How's his latch? That could be what is hurting your nipples. It is completely normal for BF babies to have blood in their spit up from cracked nipples.

Treat them well...let them dry and put your cream or breastmilk on them. Maybe try some different positions to nurse too. That really might help.
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Blood in the BM won't hurt him, but I do worry about your poor boobies. Do you see any visible cracks? I had a really bad one with Nikaia and I pumped all of her milk for a few days using a nipple shield when I pumped to lessen the damage to my nipples and bottle fed her so that my nipples could heal. It only took a few days and we were back on the boob. Of course that won't work if he won't take a bottle or doesn't go from bottle to breast well.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    Yeah, we've not had the best time BFing from the very beginning. I am using lanolin and changing my breast pads often so I guess there is not much more I can really do.
    I'm sorry. I really am. I know how much breastfeeding meant to me, and the struggle would be really hard. I hope it gets easier for you!
  8. Senior Member
    Im sorry wifey, like others have said make sure your taking extra good care of your poor boobies, Im pretty sure if the bloods from you theres not much of a problem

Wifey to KaityBug
  9. Senior Member
    DD had reflux when she was a newborn and I think there was blood in her spit up once because of it. The doctor told md not to worry and prescribed her baby reflux medicine which helped a ton. Does your baby spit up a lot and very often?
  10. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Aww hun I'm sorry. I went through hell with breastfeeding and am still going through crap. I went through using the shield because Leo wouldn't latch, finally getting him off the shield only to have cracked/bleeding nipples(had it while using the shield as well), feeling intense pain every time he latched on to the point I would cry to now where he still has a cruddy latch. It's a huge pain in the butt but if you want to breastfeed then keep doing it! I HATED it when people would tell me it will get better so I will not be telling you that. Just keep trying and if you decide it's not for you then there is NOTHING wrong with stopping. I'm too darn stubborn (and a bit too lazy to deal with formula) so I kept breast feeding through all the pain and frustration and it's slowly getting better. Still need to work on his latch but I'm just happy he's eating without a shield.

Good advice from the other ladies about keeping your breasts dry and even trying to pump if you can get him to go back and forth with a bottle. I also used coconut oil on my breasts when they were cracked and it seemed to help more than the lanolin. Breast feeding is NOT easy no matter what people tell me. lol Good luck sweetie.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast