Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb sucking.

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thumb Down Thumb sucking.

Advertisements
    DS just started doing this. We noticed this morning when he was fussing and we went in there to give him his binkie. He was sucking like crazy!!!! But once I picked him up he stopped and we went about his feeding. Again he woke up again after being put back down I go in there and sucking his thumb again!

I have heard its a way babies sooth themselves. But I personally do not want him to do it. Any advice on steering him away from that?

Twice he spit his binkie out to shove his thumb in there.
  2. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    When Maddie tried, I just kept taking it out of her mouth until she just stopped doing it. Try all kinds of different teethers until he finds something he likes. Maddie has one that is a really soft rubber like material and she loves it.

3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Yds was a thumb sucker and the most content of my four kids.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm no help I think it's cute and she prefers to just chew on fingers or suck her paci. She only sucks her thumb once in a while these days.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

At this age you are going to have a really hard time breaking him of it. It's a comfort reflex thing, he isn't purposely sucking his thumb because he wants his THUMB, he just wants to suck which is completely normal. If you are really that worried, you could try giving him a pacifier instead. They are easier to take away later than a thumb. Honestly though I wouldn't worry, MOST kids grow out of it on their own.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He does have binkies that he usually takes but for some reason the thumb was his choice this morning. Nothing wrong than thumb sucking I just would prefer he didn't!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    At this age you are going to have a really hard time breaking him of it. It's a comfort reflex thing, he isn't purposely sucking his thumb because he wants his THUMB, he just wants to suck which is completely normal. If you are really that worried, you could try giving him a pacifier instead. They are easier to take away later than a thumb. Honestly though I wouldn't worry, MOST kids grow out of it on their own.
    I agree here.

I don't think I would ever try and take the thumb away, mainly because I don't really mind if they suckon their fingers. DD stopped sucking on fingers/thumb as soon as her teeth came in (she kept accidentally biting her fingers lol)
  8. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    He does have binkies that he usually takes but for some reason the thumb was his choice this morning. Nothing wrong than thumb sucking I just would prefer he didn't!
    I really think it's just too early to really be able to do anything. Don't worry about it mama, you won't even know if it could be a problem for years, and even kids who do suck their thumbs for a while don't walk down the aisle or go to job interviews that way. Most kid's thumbs find there way into their mouths at some point, along with their feet, other people's fingers, and the food off of your plate when you aren't looking...

9. I love my life :D
    I love my life :D
    My one year old still sucks his thumb... it's really cute but it IS messing up his top teeth as he grows into them.

My husband pulls it out everytime and says "DUCK FACE" lol and Jax thinks it's a game and funny so mostly he only sucks it now when he is sleeping at night.

I don't know how to make them stop because sucking is a soothing behavior to them. I have heard things you can do but most seem mean. Maybe mittens? lol
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    I really think it's just too early to really be able to do anything. Don't worry about it mama, you won't even know if it could be a problem for years, and even kids who do suck their thumbs for a while don't walk down the aisle or go to job interviews that way. Most kid's thumbs find there way into their mouths at some point, along with their feet, other people's fingers, and the food off of your plate when you aren't looking...
    oh good I was worried I wasn't going to get good pictures on his wedding day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast