Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

TV

Advertisements
    my 5 month old loves to play on his activity mat but i often see him staring up at the TV at times. I try and discourage it and turn him around but he scoots and turns and still watches it. He watches and plays at the same time with his mat. sometimes I shut the tv off but if me and hubby are watching, all he wants to do is watch to, is it okay that he watching tv, occasionally? he seems interested in it.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I dont think it's bad but what do I know! I would say he's probably just interested in the colors and movement. They're probably just new and intriguing.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubs watches TV a lot while she's playing on her playmat or while I'm trying to get something done. I always have either Baby Einstein or Barney on. And I don't really give a crap if people think it's bad for her. She is NEVER content just laying there or sitting there. Ever. Not once. I have to have something to occupy her and toys only work for...eh...20 seconds? Tops. So it's either do no laundry, never clean dishes or the kitchen or the rest of the house, but at least she never watches TV OR get enough done around the house to stay alive while she watches educational shows. I chose the latter.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

4. Regular Member
    Its fine for kids to watch, they like the colors and motion just like they do on mobiles and other toys. You just dont want to sit your child in front of the tv as a babysitter or only means of entertainment(imo). My daughter didnt watch tv or even care to watch it until she was like 7months old and American Idol came on. She loves music!
  5. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    We started the Your Baby Can Read with DD at 2 1/2 months, so she watched less than 30 min twice a day...and sometimes would look if I was watching Rachel Ray or something...once she got older she watched PBS or her videos and I stopped watching TV really...she doesn't watch all of the time and there is absolutely nothing wrong with her!
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  6. Moderator

There are tons of studies out there that explain why TV is "harmful" (physically and developmentally) to children... it's a wonder any of us survived our childhoods. I won't discount the data I've read, but I'm not going to claim I never turn the TV on for my kid either.
  7. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    There are tons of studies out there that explain why TV is "harmful" (physically and developmentally) to children... it's a wonder any of us survived our childhoods. I won't discount the data I've read, but I'm not going to claim I never turn the TV on for my kid either.
    I know right?!?
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  8. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    I dont think it's bad but what do I know! I would say he's probably just interested in the colors and movement. They're probably just new and intriguing.
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Aubs watches TV a lot while she's playing on her playmat or while I'm trying to get something done. I always have either Baby Einstein or Barney on. And I don't really give a crap if people think it's bad for her. She is NEVER content just laying there or sitting there. Ever. Not once. I have to have something to occupy her and toys only work for...eh...20 seconds? Tops. So it's either do no laundry, never clean dishes or the kitchen or the rest of the house, but at least she never watches TV OR get enough done around the house to stay alive while she watches educational shows. I chose the latter.

My girls watch TV... Marguerite more because of the noise and colors, she normally is playing too..

The only time my older 2 sit and watch TV is if it is the preschool prep DVDs or once in a while they will sit still for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Other than that it is just one of those things that they are running around singing and dancing too.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  9. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    This!

My 3+mo old is the same. She gets bored with her toys attached to the FP rocker or activity play-mat very fast and becomes fussy. TV is the only thing that will keep her happy while I do stuff in the house. Usually, she watches Looney Toons or Tom & Jerry.

I did Google like a nut to check if it would be bad for her but everybody's opinions are so various. Some say it's bad, others say it's fine. Moderation is the key to everything. I am not going to drive myself crazy about what others say.
  10. Senior Member
    We've been trying to cut back our TV time. Like most things, moderation is key.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast