Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ugh..... pumping and BF advise

1. Senior Member

ugh..... pumping and BF advise

Advertisements
    First off I got to take Zachary home today.

Okay so I'm not really producing enough milk for Zach. I'm drinkinking mothers milk tea and taking fenugreek.I drink tons of water and eat a lot more than I use to. Any other suggestions?

I was told to BF him on one side for 15 -20 mins then I have to suppliment 30-40 ml of formula then when hes done with that pump for 20 mins. I feel like all I am doing is BF and pumping. I am getting soo worn out. I know everyone gets worn out. I'm so worn out that I spilled the breast milk I pump then just lost it and cried.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First of it DOES get better. When they're that little, you're a slave to BF/pumping. I remember having a hysterical fit after feeding Wyatt and then 30minutes later him wanting the boob again. My mother talked me down but I was convinced that he was going to be malnourished and I wouldn't be able to BF which made me feel worse because I wanted to BF so bad. And, to make you feel a little better, I spilled BM last week while I was pumping outside during our move and Wyatt was at the sitter's and I just about lost it. I was sobbing over 5oz that I spilled in the grass.

Just keep doing what you're doing and you're milk will regulate and the feedings will space out. Wyatt's feedings started to space and become more like clockwork around a month old or so.

More

Forgot something: The more that he's actually actively sucking at the breast, the more milk that you'll produce. The pump is awesome but if you can get him to just sit and suck, it will be even better than any pump will do.
    Last edited by KnittingGuamMama; 04-06-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Forgot something
  3. Moderator

I love me some babies. Let me know if you need a nap! Oatmeal was the best natural supply enhancer for me, but I know it tends to be different what works best for anyone. Have you spoken with a lactation consultant? They can be incredibly helpful- more so than a doc because it's their specialty area. You probably have it already, but in case you don't, (831) 625-4987 is CHOMP's Family Birth Center Lactation Support Services number!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If you bf and still have enough left over to pump, what makes you think you are not producing enough? What you pump is not an indication of what you are actually producing. Even a hospital grade pump cannot empty a breast like a baby. Not emptying the breast completely can lower your supply. If your doctor told you this, I would SERIOUSLY go see a GOOD lactation consultant. Please remember that most doctors have absolutely no idea how breastfeeding works or how pumping works.
  5. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Are you using a hospital grade pump? It seemed about all I did for the first four months with my youngest is breastfeed around the clock and pump. In the beginning I had to build my supply and took various galactagogues and used a hospital grade pump. I remember once where I spilled milk and just burst into tears. After my supply was well established I began over producing, a good 48-52 ounces pumped in a day. So I had a good amount stored after a month or so.

It does get easier. As you get the hang of it and you develop a routine it will get better. It just takes time. Pumping regularly is hard work. I had a love-hate relationship with the pump. I was glad to be done with it when he was 22 weeks. Haven't used it since.

Pax, Aeon
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichole View Post
    I was told to BF him on one side for 15 -20 mins then I have to suppliment 30-40 ml of formula then when hes done with that pump for 20 mins.
    I don't understand this at all. Why wouldn't you breastfeed on one side for 15-20 minutes and then breastfeed on the other side for 15-20 minutes? I just don't understand the reasoning behind this.

Is the baby gaining weight? If you can find a LC or breastfeeding group they will have a scale that you can use to weight the baby before/after a feeding to see how much they're actually getting. That might be a good option for you, so you know how much he's getting.

Like everyone else said, the best thing to do to up your supply is nurse.
  7. Regular Member
    I don't have perfect advice... I have twins and supplement with formula, but when I was having a rough time my mother reminded me that any breast milk babies get does them good; using formula does not take away from that. I am not discouraging you from trying to EBF but, just remember that if you get in a tough spot.
  8. Senior Member
    The reason they had me pump the other side was Zach got so tired BF that they told me to bottle feed him because he burns less callories that way. They wanted me to give what I pump in the bottle and if he is still hungry after that then give him a little formula. They said the BFwas mostly to help my milk come in better. This morning when I woke up my shirt was soaked with milk so I'm hoping that means my milk is coming in better. I think I was so freaked out yesterday that I just posted to get it out and vent.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    I love me some babies. Let me know if you need a nap! Oatmeal was the best natural supply enhancer for me, but I know it tends to be different what works best for anyone. Have you spoken with a lactation consultant? They can be incredibly helpful- more so than a doc because it's their specialty area. You probably have it already, but in case you don't, (831) 625-4987 is CHOMP's Family Birth Center Lactation Support Services number!
    I think I have the card in my purse. okay stupid question did you go to the military pediatrician today on cass street? When I went today I heard someone calling to make an apt for a baby named Lyric so I thought it might be you. I might take ya up on the nap thing when DH goes back to work. Hes been letting me take naps.
  10. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nichole View Post
    I think I have the card in my purse. okay stupid question did you go to the military pediatrician today on cass street? When I went today I heard someone calling to make an apt for a baby named Lyric so I thought it might be you. I might take ya up on the nap thing when DH goes back to work. Hes been letting me take naps.
    I didn't! But maybe someone was making an appointment for my bebe without my knowledge.

We go to a civvi guy on..... well actually it might be Cass, I don't remember now! One of those streets over by the Del Monte Center.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast