Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another sleep question

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Help Another sleep question

Advertisements
    I feel like such a bad mommy because I can't get DS to sleep on his back. I know that's the best way for him to sleep, but he ONLY likes to sleep on his side. He will turn his head and kick his legs around until he gets on his side seriously wailing the whole time. (He is 13 days old so obviously not actually rolling over.) He also has a really hard time sleeping in his pack and play, so some nights I let him sleep with me. I know this is horrible, but I seriously can not get him to stay asleep on those nights any other way. There is no way I can let my newborn cry for an extended period of time either. For naps, he will only sleep in his swing or on his side on the boppy lounger. Neither of those is actually safe for sleeping, so I have to stay RIGHT next to him the whole time. I don't mind really, but I'd love to be able to do laundry/clean/etc during his nap time. I'm just at a loss on what to do. Has anyone else had similar issues? I'm taking him for his two week checkup tomorrow and will talk to his dr then, but I just thought I'd see if anyone else had similar experiences.

2. Senior Member
    For the first month or two with my girls they had to sleep in their swing. I promise you they turned out perfectly fine If that's what you need to do to get sleep safely (assuming it buckles), then do it. I also put rolled up swaddling blankets on each of their sides to keep them from turning over. My youngest slept in her bouncy seat for a few months because it was the only way that she could sleep without waking up with terrible tummy problems. Have you thought of getting a cosleeper for your bed so he can sleep with you, but more safely? Also, have you tried swaddling him for nap time in the pack n play? YDD is 7 months, and still won't sleep unless she is swaddled.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I slept on my tummy from day 1. I would NOT sleep any other way.

DH and I are both tummy sleepers, so we are getting one of those Angelcare baby monitors since DS will probably want to sleep on his tummy as well.

Maybe one of those movement monitors would help ease your worrying a bit.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Wyatt slept with me from the day we got home from the hospital up until he was about 8mos old. He turned out fine. Neither of us ever rolled into him and he slept with our covers because the boy refused to sleep with clothes on for several months (such a boy!). One of the reasons for him sleeping with us was that he was BF and it was alot easier for me to roll over and feed him than have to get up (especially for the first month because I had issues with mobility from my csection).

For naps, he slept on his belly in his crib or on the couch with us sitting next to him until he could roll over, then he was always in either the swing, bouncer, or crib for naps.

All in all, you gotta do what you gotta do so that you both sleep. If you're uncomfortable with him sleeping on his belly, maybe one of those movement sensor/monitors would be a good idea. If he'll only sleep in the swing, buckle him in nice and tight and stick some blankets onto his sides so he doesn't flail around. We had to do that for Wyatt for a while since he was such a mini, the swing was just massive!
  5. Senior Member
    Haha, Z only sleeps with me or in the swing. Now she flops over on her face every night too

I'm a nervous wreck
    Our sweet girl is here!
    ZoŽ Marie- 11.02.11!

http://princessgirlface.blogspot.com/
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Fisher-Price Newborn Rock N Play Sleeper - Tan - Fisher-Price - Babies "R" Us

Rock N Play Sleeper. I am telling you this thing is amazing. It is very safe for your baby to sleep in. We used it as a basinette for our room. He sleeps in his crib now but he still takes naps in it

Babies love it because its an incline
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by HisCupcake View Post

Rock N Play Sleeper. I am telling you this thing is amazing. It is very safe for your baby to sleep in. We used it as a basinette for our room. He sleeps in his crib now but he still takes naps in it

YES, we have this. Kalista won't sleep flat on her back but she will sleep in this thing like a dream! The shape of it combined with the incline works like a charm. I am IN LOVE with it.

Side sleeping is okay, though. Tummy sleeping is too, but not recommended because when babies are too little to intentionally and consistently roll over they have higher risks of suffocation. Sleeping in a car seat or a swing are okay too, as long as they aren't scrunched down so that the airway is blocked. In fact, for a lot of reflux babies it is recommended to put them to sleep in something other than flat on their backs. Back sleeping is best, but that doesn't mean every other kind of sleeping is dangerous.

Pay attention to providing a safe environment for him however he sleeps best and you will be fine. No loose clothing, blankets or pillows. Keep him close to you or use a monitor. Put him on an incline if he has any spit up or reflux issues. You are doing fine, mama!

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    I slept on my tummy from day 1. I would NOT sleep any other way.

DH and I are both tummy sleepers, so we are getting one of those Angelcare baby monitors since DS will probably want to sleep on his tummy as well.

Maybe one of those movement monitors would help ease your worrying a bit.
    We bought an Angelcare monitor. Biggest waste of money for us ever

We got nice wool-covered latex mattress (didn't want something that was full of chemicals).... the monitors don't work under it at all.

I'm sure they're fine if you're using a regular mattress.... but they're useless for latex.

Quote Originally Posted by HisCupcake View Post

I agree. My son LOVED that thing. We cosleep, but he took most of his naps in one of those (if I wasn't holding him) until he was almost 5 months old.

Best $40 I ever spent.

Check Amazon, sometimes they go on sale
  9. Sesa Wo Suban
    Sesa Wo Suban
    My kids are tummy sleepers and have been since day 1. If the kid can't breathe, he/she will move their head. Let him sleep on his side if he wants. It will give you both some rest.
  10. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! The reviews for that sleeper were phenomenal! I think we will be buying one as soon as we get back home. I hope that fixes his need to co-sleep!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast