Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temper Tantrums?

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

Question Temper Tantrums?

Advertisements
    I honestly don't know what else to call them The past 4 days Landon has been fighting sleep to the point where he will literally go into a full on temper tantrum and refuses to sleep no matter what DH or I do. It's not his normal tired cry, pain cry, etc...it's something I've never heard before and it's ridiculous. People walking by our house would think I'm seriously beating him with how loud and abnoxious this screaming is.

Last night he fought me for 2 hours and I finally got him to sleep by sitting in our rocking chair with him for about 20 minutes and singing. Then I tried to put him down in his bed and he woke up, looked at me and began screaming again. I got him back to sleep 3 times and the same thing happened. I even waited 20 minutes after he fell asleep once thinking maybe I was putting him down too quickly.

After the 3rd time he wouldn't go back to sleep at all and went bonkers. DH ended up coming out and taking him from me because I was in tears. He then proceeded to scream, kick, and flail for DH for another hour and 15 minutes.

I have no idea what to do. He did the same thing today and for some reason isn't taking good naps now, so when he wakes up he's still tired and then goes into a tantrum, but won't go back to sleep.

I don't know if there's even any advice to be given here, but if so, please let me know.

To add, I put him down for about 10 minutes to let him CIO a bit, but the crying got worse. Like to the point of snot and tears covering his face, and he started choking and coughing he was screaming so hard, which I'm not comfortable with letting him CIO like that.

2. Senior Member
    I have no advice, as Aidan does the same thing. Every time he starts for fall asleep he gets super wiggly and kicks and flails and eventually screams. I usually just hold him super tight in our rocker, give him a paci or bottle. As long as he's dry and full, l hold him while he screams until he eventually falls asleep.

The one thing I will add, though, is that our ped said that CIO is not recommended until at least 6 months, closer to 9 months if you choose to use CIO. They just aren't 'mature' enough to self soothe at this point.

I know how much it sucks.
  3. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

First of all, , you seem a little stressed from this

Maybe try a warm bath right before bed too? Or have you ever done infant massage? It can help them calm down and stuff and a lot of parents say it helps their kiddos fall asleep and stay asleep longer.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    I have no advice, as Aidan does the same thing. Every time he starts for fall asleep he gets super wiggly and kicks and flails and eventually screams. I usually just hold him super tight in our rocker, give him a paci or bottle. As long as he's dry and full, l hold him while he screams until he eventually falls asleep.

The one thing I will add, though, is that our ped said that CIO is not recommended until at least 6 months, closer to 9 months if you choose to use CIO. They just aren't 'mature' enough to self soothe at this point.

I know how much it sucks.
    I'm not a fan of the CIO method and refuse to use it anyway when I said CIO, I was just referring to putting him down and letting him cry for a bit to regain my composure

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Krys*~ View Post
    First of all, , you seem a little stressed from this

Maybe try a warm bath right before bed too? Or have you ever done infant massage? It can help them calm down and stuff and a lot of parents say it helps their kiddos fall asleep and stay asleep longer.
    I've tried the massaging.... and the bath thing is always a hit or miss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Thank you for the hugs and idea though

5. FiFi89
    FiFi89
    I have no advice, but many many hugs, I can only imagine how stressed out you must be

Fifi & Gavin
  6. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    AH..I remember those days now..what the heck was I thinking getting preggo again?!?

Anyway...I always tried to make sure DD was REALLY REALLY tired before I put her to bed. 1-2hours before bed PLAY PLAY PLAY, make sure his tummy is REALLY full, bath, book, song, rock, bed. Get a bedtime routine down to where you do the same thing every night and eventually it will calm down.
    It isn't fun and takes time and you will have more sleepless nights, but I promise it gets better

There were also many nights that I would just stay awake and let DD play til she got tired because it just wasn't worth the fight!

Any chance he is teething or having a growth spurt? I know you said it isn't his normal crying but teething sometimes makes it different.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  7. Senior Member
    Our girls do that if they are overly tired. Rhys will scream like she's being tortured if she's too tired. Can you try moving his bedtime up by 30 minutes and see if that helps? I ended up moving up their bedtime in increments of 15 min and ended up an hour and a half earlier.

Also, do you do the same bedtime routine every night? That seems to help at our house. Even if we don't bathe them some nights we still do lotion and diaper and bottle and read our Bible and then tell them I love them, Daddy loves them and I'll see them when the sun comes up. Kisses, hugs and then lay them down.
  8. Mommy2Dakota
    Mommy2Dakota
    Me: Long Island, NY Him: MK A School Yorktown, VA
    My DD used to do the same thing! I agree with PP, I used to let DD just play and wear herself out, but don't let him get overtired. At this age, I did have DD on a schedule but she would fight me like crazy to go to sleep. I know how horrible and hard it is to feel like there's nothing you can do but maybe just do the bath, book, tummy full and rock routine and if all else fails, let him play and wear himself out! It will get better!!!!! It just takes a TON of patience and some time but you'll get into a routine and he'll start sleeping hun!

9. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMR View Post
    Our girls do that if they are overly tired. Rhys will scream like she's being tortured if she's too tired. Can you try moving his bedtime up by 30 minutes and see if that helps? I ended up moving up their bedtime in increments of 15 min and ended up an hour and a half earlier.

Also, do you do the same bedtime routine every night? That seems to help at our house. Even if we don't bathe them some nights we still do lotion and diaper and bottle and read our Bible and then tell them I love them, Daddy loves them and I'll see them when the sun comes up. Kisses, hugs and then lay them down.
    Exactly what I was gonna say.

Good luck Brittany. Sleep problems are the worst!

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Everyone's already said what I would suggest-- so I just wanted to give you
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast