Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Holy Crap! HELP!!! **Update in OP**

  1. OG Member
    April Lynne's Avatar
    April Lynne is offline
    OG Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx area
    Posts
    18,492
    Blog Entries
    5
    #1

    Shocked Holy Crap! HELP!!! **Update in OP**

    Advertisements
    Ok so DF's daughter is coming to live with us next week (I found this out about 45 min ago).

    We have nothing and she's basically going to be showing up with the clothes on her back...

    I'm freakin' out!

    Someone calm me down! I've never even met her and she's 8!

    ETA:
    Apparently her mom was about to surrender her into Foster care

    Update:
    So after further conversation we were able to find out that DF's DD was taken away from the mother after she was caught writing hot checks, when the officers came in the house they found drugs and paraphernalia so they took the kids and so DSD is now a ward of the state and living in foster care. We are trying to get an attorney to petition for custody.

    that poor baby!
    Last edited by April Lynne; 03-30-2012 at 04:14 PM.


  2. Account Closed
    Mrs. Nutmeg's Avatar
    Mrs. Nutmeg is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    9,436
    Blog Entries
    1
    #2
    You'll be fine!!! I don't have much advice, but you're such an amazing friend so I know you're gonna be an awesome mother figure
  3. OG Member
    April Lynne's Avatar
    April Lynne is offline
    OG Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx area
    Posts
    18,492
    Blog Entries
    5
    #3
    I mean I knew going in that he had a daughter and the goal was going to be to get her here but I didn't know it was going to happen like this when we just aren't prepared at all!


  4. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #4
    It's going to be okay!

    Word of advice, decide right now if you're going to be a mother type or a friend. My step mom tried to be my friend first, then when she tried to parent me I got mad and it didn't end well, so, there's that!

    8 year olds are pretty easy to deal with, be glad she's not a teen yet! You'll need a bed, but a twin bed can be bought pretty cheap and a dresser at walmart is cheap too. Have you looked at the schools in your area for her? You can find clothes at walmart, or consignment shops. Go cheap on shoes, she's only 8 so she'll definitely grow out of them. I'm sure your DF has a handle on things since she's been around for 8 years, but it's going to be fine.

    You're such a nice sweet person, you'll be a good step mommy


  5. I just can't even...
    Hottie.'s Avatar
    Hottie. is offline
    I just can't even...
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alerbamer
    Posts
    18,159
    Blog Entries
    2
    #5
    Wow! I agree with everything briannanoel said
  6. OG Member
    April Lynne's Avatar
    April Lynne is offline
    OG Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx area
    Posts
    18,492
    Blog Entries
    5
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    It's going to be okay!

    Word of advice, decide right now if you're going to be a mother type or a friend. My step mom tried to be my friend first, then when she tried to parent me I got mad and it didn't end well, so, there's that!

    8 year olds are pretty easy to deal with, be glad she's not a teen yet! You'll need a bed, but a twin bed can be bought pretty cheap and a dresser at walmart is cheap too. Have you looked at the schools in your area for her? You can find clothes at walmart, or consignment shops. Go cheap on shoes, she's only 8 so she'll definitely grow out of them. I'm sure your DF has a handle on things since she's been around for 8 years, but it's going to be fine.

    You're such a nice sweet person, you'll be a good step mommy
    Her mother is signing over rights to us, we're going to work on me adopting her. We're gonna talk to her about it first obviously.

    My sister has extra little girl bedroom furniture and bedding for us as well as some toys, we've got money to get her some clothes. I'll have to look into schools next week but I've already talked to my boss about taking a day or two off to get that all situated.
    I just feel like my head is spinning...this is a lot to take in all at once.


  7. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2BmrsG View Post
    Her mother is signing over rights to us, we're going to work on me adopting her. We're gonna talk to her about it first obviously.

    My sister has extra little girl bedroom furniture and bedding for us as well as some toys, we've got money to get her some clothes. I'll have to look into schools next week but I've already talked to my boss about taking a day or two off to get that all situated.
    I just feel like my head is spinning...this is a lot to take in all at once.
    It is, but you've already got some things figured out and that's great. It's a big step getting an 8 year old into your house. Things will be weird and hard for a while, no doubt. She might be an angel, or she might be a terror because she's lashing out at a different home, and different parents

    I'm so glad you're talking to her though, at 8 she's definitely cognizant enough to make decisions. Man, my head is spinning for you! Such a big step. Is she currently in school?


  8. OG Member
    April Lynne's Avatar
    April Lynne is offline
    OG Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx area
    Posts
    18,492
    Blog Entries
    5
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    It is, but you've already got some things figured out and that's great. It's a big step getting an 8 year old into your house. Things will be weird and hard for a while, no doubt. She might be an angel, or she might be a terror because she's lashing out at a different home, and different parents

    I'm so glad you're talking to her though, at 8 she's definitely cognizant enough to make decisions. Man, my head is spinning for you! Such a big step. Is she currently in school?
    I'm not sure what has been going on with her yet, I guess his mom will find out more later this afternoon. I'm going to give his mom a list of documents we'll need in order to get her enrolled in school here. My mom has already said that she's gonna help us out (I have an 8 year old little brother) so the YMCA has a summer program for her during the day and they also have after school programs for her at the school.

    My mom calmed me down quite a bit, it's gonna be a big adjustment for everyone but I think we'll be able to make it work.


  9. Senior Member
    bdizzle's Avatar
    bdizzle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    19,693
    #9
    You'll do great You got this!


  10. OG Member
    April Lynne's Avatar
    April Lynne is offline
    OG Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx area
    Posts
    18,492
    Blog Entries
    5
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by briannanoel View Post
    You'll do great You got this!
    Thanks, I think I've got my head wrapped around the idea. I'm so happy to have such a helpful and accepting family. I can't wait for her to get here because I know that the life we'll give her is much different than anything her mother has, I think that she'll be very happy with stability in her life and I know we can give her the love and care that she needs and deserves.


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •