Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF question

1. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡

Help BF question

Advertisements
    [Okay, sorry to totally bombard this section daily but I have so many questions and every book/website/expert has different opinions on, well, everything!]

I was not a fan at all of my LC in the hospital, so I really don't want to go back to see her and get her help. My question is, how do I get him to transition from a nipple shield to my actual breast? His pediatrician said he needed to get used to nursing without the shield, but I can't get him to properly latch unless I'm using it. I feel so bad that I even started using one, but I was just listening to the expert's advice. Now my poor baby gets so confused if he is on my bare breast.

2. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    The only advice I know is to just keep trying. I know it is so tempting and so much easier just to give in and put the shield back on and let him nurse, but you have to stick to it.

Get the milk flowing before he latches so that when he goes to latch he instantly tastes the milk.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  3. Senior Member
    We suggest feeding with the shield for a few minutes, then quickly slipping off the shield and put him back to the breast, see if he latches back on.

Though I have met many people who breastfed successfully using nipple shields the whole time.
  4. Senior Member
    Keep trying. Make sure his mouth is fully open and head tilted back a little to help maximize latching. I had to get the milk flowing first before Mad would latch on good for the first month. Good luck!

5. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadeebaby View Post
    The only advice I know is to just keep trying. I know it is so tempting and so much easier just to give in and put the shield back on and let him nurse, but you have to stick to it.

Get the milk flowing before he latches so that when he goes to latch he instantly tastes the milk.
    I guess I just have to be patient. It's so hard to not give in and use the shield when he is hungry and fussing. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    We suggest feeding with the shield for a few minutes, then quickly slipping off the shield and put him back to the breast, see if he latches back on.

Though I have met many people who breastfed successfully using nipple shields the whole time.
    You mean some people don't wean the babies off of the shield at all? Interesting. I guess I could look into that if this doesn't work out, but I think you could be right - a few minutes with it might help! I will try. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JLTsChief View Post
    Keep trying. Make sure his mouth is fully open and head tilted back a little to help maximize latching. I had to get the milk flowing first before Mad would latch on good for the first month. Good luck!
    Thank you! I will need the luck, haha.

6. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

If you have a WIC office around you, try contacting them and see if they have any lactation consultants.

Or try LLLI | Home for a ton of info too!
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i had the same problem, my nipple was so flat he could not latch without the sheild. he would get very frustrated, they have like half shields where your skin is half exposed, hard to explain but you will see them, maybe try slipping it off and letting him relatch
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KaityBug View Post
    I guess I just have to be patient. It's so hard to not give in and use the shield when he is hungry and fussing. Thanks for the advice!

You mean some people don't wean the babies off of the shield at all? Interesting. I guess I could look into that if this doesn't work out, but I think you could be right - a few minutes with it might help! I will try. thank you!

Thank you! I will need the luck, haha.
    Yep it isnt ideal but if baby is still getting enough milk and you are comfortable then why not? Let us know how trying to get them off goes though
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I had to use a shield for the first 3 months. Without going into detail, my boobs weren't very cooperative at all. It's not considered ideal and some LCs freak out and are against them.... but honestly... you do what you need to do. Worked just fine for us... but it was a pain in the ass making sure I always had a clean one handy, etc.

Good luck
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I agree with starting with the shield until your nipple is the right shape, then slipping it off and going back to it. It will be weird and he will struggle at first. It took my son 4 weeks to get off the nipple shield completely. He could not latch on right when he was born though so I do not regret using it. Without it I wouldn't have been able to BF. His mouth was just too small. When he was about 8 weeks old I started weaning him off it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast