Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s/o of pacis, finger sucking

1. Senior Member

s/o of pacis, finger sucking

Advertisements
    DH says that I am a "meanie head" since I do not want DD to suck on her fingers. She found them a week ago and now she would rather suck them instead of her pacifier. So I have been removing them, giving her a pacifier and putting mittens on her.

But from the other thread I noticed several people say that they preferred a pacifier to fingers/thumb. So is my DH right am I being mean by not allowing her to suck on her fingers? or is it alright to discourage finger sucking?

DD will has to have surgery on her fingers at 12 months of age so I am hoping that she isn't attached to her fingers for comfort during that time. It is going to be hard enough as it is, and I can't imagine how much harder it will be if she is a finger/thumb sucker.

Any thoughts?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I was never allowed a paci or my fingers.

I turned out okay. I have heard that breaking the paci habit is MUCH easier than breaking the finger/thumb sucking habit, so no, I don't think you are being mean.

Why does she have to have surgery?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DD was a thumb sucker. Once she got teeth, she stopped sucking her thumb
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    I wont ever allow my child to suck on their fingers. I was born sucking my thumb... my mother never stopped me & it actually became a habit. I sucked my thumb until I was 10 years old & in return, my teeth were very crooked.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Senior Member
    i didn't allow kenz a paci or to suck on her fingers. No regrets
    Don't judge someone just because they sin differently than you.

:)
    Blog Entries
    My girls didn't use a binky very long. ODD didn't suck her thumb/fingers ever but YDD is a thumb sucker and we are trying to break her from it. I don't think binkies or thumb sucking should go passed a year old but that's just me. I don't like that my YDD is 2 and still sucking her thumb so that's why we are trying to get her to stop. I actually haven't seen her do it lately which is nice

♥ 2,000oz of boobie milk donated ♥

better2gether is my Irish Twin Mommy Wifey!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    I was never allowed a paci or my fingers.

I turned out okay. I have heard that breaking the paci habit is MUCH easier than breaking the finger/thumb sucking habit, so no, I don't think you are being mean.

Why does she have to have surgery?
    She has simple syndactyly, meaning she has fused fingers. So they are going to separate her fingers when she is a year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikatoka View Post
    DD was a thumb sucker. Once she got teeth, she stopped sucking her thumb
    Well there is hope for her yet then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    I wont ever allow my child to suck on their fingers. I was born sucking my thumb... my mother never stopped me & it actually became a habit. I sucked my thumb until I was 10 years old & in return, my teeth were very crooked.
    I really hadn't thought about the dental aspect much, but that is a good point. Thanks.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommyof2in09 View Post
    My girls didn't use a binky very long. ODD didn't suck her thumb/fingers ever but YDD is a thumb sucker and we are trying to break her from it. I don't think binkies or thumb sucking should go passed a year old but that's just me. I don't like that my YDD is 2 and still sucking her thumb so that's why we are trying to get her to stop. I actually haven't seen her do it lately which is nice
    I don't know if there is a difference between sucking your thumbs or sucking a pacifier, but I can say that I think it's harder to wean thumbsucking just because thumbs are ALWAYS there, you know what I mean? You can physically take away a pacifier, but not thumbs!!

I agree with Mommyof2in09 and Rissa*Rawr: Whatever you do decide to do, be sure to wean it around one year before it can have an impact on teeth development
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Aubs more chews on her fingers than sucks them. Sometimes she'll suck her thumb and she loves her paci-- I'd rather have her on paci than her thumb for the sake or her oral development.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I think since she's having surgery it would be best to not allow her to.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast