Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Thumb Sucking vs. Eating

1. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Thumb Sucking vs. Eating

Advertisements
    Naomi has discovered her thumb and she LOVES sucking it. It's pretty adorable. She self soothes by sucking her thumb which is great and she will also lay in bed or in her chair or with me for hours sucking her thumb. She will even attempt to suck her thumb while she is nursing.

She has also been sleeping a ton. She sleeps all through the night (12 hrs) plus most of the day lately.

Since she started sucking her thumb she isn't nursing as much at all. I feel like if she is sleeping so much she is probably growing but there is no eating frenzy going on too. It seems she sucks her thumb way more than she will eat now.

Sometimes I feel (and I have a couple times) need to take her thumb out of her mouth and feed her. The few times I have done this she has eaten quite a bit.

Do I just wait for her to remove her thumb and want to eat and pump in-between or feed her even if I have to take her thumb out of her mouth?
  2. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    I would try to nurse her around every 4 hours-ish during the day when she's awake.

I would also keep an eye on her thumb and make sure she isn't sucking it too hard and the skin isn't getting wrinkly and stuff
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If she is hungry, she'll eat. Some kids just want to suck and are happy with it.

It is a new thing. Trust me, she'll let you know when she wants to eat.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    If she is hungry, she'll eat. Some kids just want to suck and are happy with it.

It is a new thing. Trust me, she'll let you know when she wants to eat.
    This pretty much sums up what I was going to write. Wyatt is a finger sucker (usually his ring and middle fingers together) and always has been. Every u/s he was sucking on his fingers so we knew that we wouldn't need to invest in a pacis.

Wyatt went through phases where he mainly just wanted to suck and when his fingers could satisfy that, I let him go to town. I didn't ever worry about pumping or anything in between, he made his supply fit his needs, again, as will Naomi.

She'll make it know when she's hungry and wants you. Also, because I know that it's hard to be 'rejected' (even though you're really not, don't worry). The first time Wyatt chose to suck on his fingers instead of soothe-nursing, I was a little... offended, I think is a good word for it. But then a few days later he was nursing every hour and I was really hoping for him to find his fingers, again
  5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    This pretty much sums up what I was going to write. Wyatt is a finger sucker (usually his ring and middle fingers together) and always has been. Every u/s he was sucking on his fingers so we knew that we wouldn't need to invest in a pacis.

Wyatt went through phases where he mainly just wanted to suck and when his fingers could satisfy that, I let him go to town. I didn't ever worry about pumping or anything in between, he made his supply fit his needs, again, as will Naomi.

She'll make it know when she's hungry and wants you. Also, because I know that it's hard to be 'rejected' (even though you're really not, don't worry). The first time Wyatt chose to suck on his fingers instead of soothe-nursing, I was a little... offended, I think is a good word for it. But then a few days later he was nursing every hour and I was really hoping for him to find his fingers, again
    Thank you for this.

I think that really is how it felt. I was hurt she didn't want to nurse. It's silly I know but it did, it hurt my feelers.
  6. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Don't feel bad. My baby girl projectile spits any paci I put in her little mouth and prefers her fingers over the rubber. For some babies seems to be normal.