Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding and weight loss.

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Breastfeeding and weight loss.

Advertisements
    Okay so I'm wanting to buckle down on my eating habits because I had a meltdown earlier because I'm sick of wearing maternity clothes and ready to fit into my clothes.

Before i got pregnant I did a low carb high protien diet. I lost 23lbs... I want to do this again. So I'm curious for those out there that diets and breast feed what do you do? How do you get your calories?

Also how many calories should you be intaking again I forget. Also does its matter what you eat to get those calories (if that question makes sense)

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    I believe you need an extra 300-509 calories a day while breast feeding. And yes, it is important where you get those calories. Dieting is really a very bad idea while breast feeding. It can cause you and the baby to be deficient in a number of areas. You're better off exercising more and eating a normal healthy diet, as opposed to a low carb or no carb diet. I totally understand wanting to get back to where you are. I'm still about 10ish pounds over my pre pregnancy weight, but it's far more important to have a healthy happy baby.
  3. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I did a ketogenic/lipolytic diet while Henry was still nursing. My carbs were between 35-55g. So most of my calories came from fat (my own especially because the reduction in carby foods causes the body to convert fat to fuel) and protein.

I still follow the general premise or WOE/L (way of eating/life) by eating Primal/Paleo. It makes up about 80% of my diet. Whatever it is you do, don't skimp on protein. You don't need to eat a carb-based diet, and by that I mean one that is primarily starch, sugar and grain-based. Stick with veggies and low glycemic index fruits.
    Pax, Aeon
  4. Regular Member
    I agree with Rhodymama. My doctors said not to diet until after I was through breastfeeding. My son is 6months old,still nursing strong, and Im 3lbs LESS than pre pregnancy. . . Good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AeonLux View Post
    I did a ketogenic/lipolytic diet while Henry was still nursing. My carbs were between 35-55g. So most of my calories came from fat (my own especially because the reduction in carby foods causes the body to convert fat to fuel) and protein.

I still follow the general premise or WOE/L (way of eating/life) by eating Primal/Paleo. It makes up about 80% of my diet. Whatever it is you do, don't skimp on protein. You don't need to eat a carb-based diet, and by that I mean one that is primarily starch, sugar and grain-based. Stick with veggies and low glycemic index fruits.
    I agree with a lot of this, although I have never done a true paleo diet. I just try to eat clean unprocessed foods and I have found that high protein/low carbs (for me, less than 100 g/carbs per day) works well for my specific body.

Don't feel bad about the weight loss though. I have noticed for me personally, I seem to lose my weight in increments. I plateau for a little bit then lose more, plateau, then lose, etc. It's definitely not what I was expecting, but progress is progress.

I still haven't calculated calories because like you, I think it's too confusing to know exactly how many to consume. So, I just try to eat healthy until I'm full and go from there. Once I wean, I figure I can start crunching calories.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Every body is different and will change when you have kids. Some go back to their pre-pregnancy weight, some loose more than that, some don't loose pregnancy weight at all or they may gain weight. For some people, it doesn't matter how much exercise they do, how much dieting they do, they may never loose the amount of weight they want. Being healthy is more important than being skinny and to be healthy it is about eating a well balanced diet and exercising.

I understand being frustrated and wanting to be back down to that weight (shoot I was a healthy 98lbs before having kids- I say healthy as I ate well and worked out, I did have a high metabolism though). I am a little over 50lbs more than that now, but I eat well and I work out (although I will admit, not as much as I probably should), I am a size 4-6 and I look and feel good.

Don't push yourself and get yourself down.

7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I know you want to lose weight etc- but i just want to remind you that after having a baby, your body IS different. Yes there are some people who go back to size 0 but it may not happen right away, quickly or even at all for you. I'm not saying it won't but to just be aware that your body HAS changed and isn't like what you pre-preggo!

GOod luck on your weightloss! I think its more important to eat healthy stuff and exercise right now vs dieting while nursing... JMO tho
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    I believe you need an extra 300-509 calories a day while breast feeding. And yes, it is important where you get those calories. Dieting is really a very bad idea while breast feeding. It can cause you and the baby to be deficient in a number of areas. You're better off exercising more and eating a normal healthy diet, as opposed to a low carb or no carb diet. I totally understand wanting to get back to where you are. I'm still about 10ish pounds over my pre pregnancy weight, but it's far more important to have a healthy happy baby.
    This. It is never advisable to go really low carb while nursing. You need more calories nursing than you do while pregnant. I have heard that Weight Watchers can tailor a diet plan for a nursing mother, but every other diet I've ever heard of was not bf friendly.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  9. Senior Member
    I believe you need 1800 while breastfreeding. I would talk to your doctor or a lactation consultant, mine both said that they would counsel and go over safe dieting/nutrition and exercise guidelines with me. Definitely worth checking out. Please remember that while bf-ing the body may hold on to some fat- and that's okay!

It may take time but it usually does come off. I know it's frustrating. I gained too much weight with CJ and it took me almost 7 months to get within 10 lbs of my pre pregnancy weight. Then I was pregnant again shortly after so yeah.. I get the body thing.

People are ambivalent about this, but I bought a few pairs of jeans (most shirts fit me) at goodwill in a larger size. It was nice to not have maternity stuff until I could fit in my old clothes.
  10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    Every body is different and will change when you have kids. Some go back to their pre-pregnancy weight, some loose more than that, some don't loose pregnancy weight at all or they may gain weight. For some people, it doesn't matter how much exercise they do, how much dieting they do, they may never loose the amount of weight they want. Being healthy is more important than being skinny and to be healthy it is about eating a well balanced diet and exercising.

I understand being frustrated and wanting to be back down to that weight (shoot I was a healthy 98lbs before having kids- I say healthy as I ate well and worked out, I did have a high metabolism though). I am a little over 50lbs more than that now, but I eat well and I work out (although I will admit, not as much as I probably should), I am a size 4-6 and I look and feel good.

Don't push yourself and get yourself down.
    These

Honestly, I would think about going shopping and buying yourself some new jeans and shirts to fit your new body atm. I'm 5lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight, but even if I lose those pounds, I'm never going to fit into my old size 4/5 jeans. My hips widened with my pregnancy and I think I'm going to end up sticking at the size 7/8 I'm currently at, no matter how much weight I lose.

I was still wearing maternity up until a few weeks ago when I went and splurged on some new clothes. It honestly has made me feel a lot better being out of my maternity cloths.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast