Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice????? (2 problems)

1. Senior Member

Confused Advice????? (2 problems)

Advertisements
    Ok, so I started Eva on solids when she was 4 mo old (her dr told us to go ahead and give em to her). Well, she wasn't a fan, so I decided to wait till she showed more "ready" signs.

At 6 months she started playing with spoons, reaching for what I was eating, ect. So I decided to try again. Well Eva has had EVER stage 1 approved food I can find and... she HATES them ALL.

She cries and closes her mouth and even gags and vomits all over me (that would be peas). She kinda likes sweet potatoes, squash, and bananas like she won't fight AS hard to eat those. I've tried warming them, leaving them at room temp, mixing them with rice cereal or oatmeal, mixing them with formula, even mixing them with each other (today she had squash with bananas and oatmeal... yum???) and she still wouldn't open her mouth without me using the spoon as a pry bar or the dog as a decoy to make her laugh I just feel so hopeless, I can't really get her to eat baby food, no matter what I do. Any advice on how to make meal time easier???

Second problem:

Eva WILL NOT go to sleep with out a bottle in her mouth. She'll get the bottle, pass out (not eat a drop) and scream if it falls out. I try to get her to take passifiers, but nope, no dice. I've tried waiting till she falls asleep with the bottle, then switching it for a passy, but still no good. This has just now become an issue (really since she started teething real bad... not sure if that has anything to do with it), before she'd eat 6oz before bed, fall asleep (sometimes with the bottle, sometimes not) wake up at 2am for a few oz, then 5 for 6-8oz more, then stay asleep till 9. Now she's up almost every hour, some times multiple times an hour, cause of her bottle is empty and/or fallen out I'm exhausted and worn out, and can't figure out why this is suddenly a problem, or what to do to fix said problem

ok moms... fire away, I need the help
    A second chance at happiy ever after
  2. Senior Member
    I have no advice about the sleeping thing...I can't get Aidan to sleep at night without being swaddled. But, as far as the food...have you tried making fresh? Aidan HATES jar food, but loves fresh. Especially bananas. I have these mesh teething thingys that I put pieces of banana in. He LOVES it!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    I have no advice about the sleeping thing...I can't get Aidan to sleep at night without being swaddled. But, as far as the food...have you tried making fresh? Aidan HATES jar food, but loves fresh. Especially bananas. I have these mesh teething thingys that I put pieces of banana in. He LOVES it!
    tried fresh and the Gerber brand... no go on either...
  4. Senior Member
    As far as the food related issue, have you tried giving her finger foods? Like diced avocados, super steamed veggies, small pieces of banana? I know she probably doesn't have teeth, but babies gum things. She may want to do it on her own and not use a spoon. You could also make your own baby food. She may not like the texture or taste of the jarred food, I've tried them and they do taste different and some have a slightly different texture.

With the sleep related issues, I'm not sure what advice to give you with that. My kids didn't have bottles going to bed since they were EBF. Maybe try feeding her, then rocking her to sleep with a paci and putting her down?

I hope I helped at least a little. Sorry you're having a rough time mama
  5. Senior Member
    Maybe she's just not ready yet? Is she still gaining and happy on just formula?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyMama View Post
    Maybe she's just not ready yet? Is she still gaining and happy on just formula?
    She WANTS to eat, like she's always grabbing at my hands when I have food, or drools when DH is eating something. I tried the steamed food idea and she LOVED it, I just need to get some of those baggies to put the food in so she can't get a big ol chunk. I'll keep trying some different things. Maybe I'll just have to mix everything with banana (that's the only way I can get her to eat 90% of her baby food haha)
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    No advice on problem number two, but re number one maybe give her the real foods instead of baby food? Mash is up for her or give her soft finger foods? Some kids hate the taste of the jarred foods. Mine never ate it.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  8. Senior Member
    My ds didn't eat solids until he was about 7 or 8 months old (I was BF)and hated baby food. He went to straight to table food.

Dd on the other hand would gag on table food and didn't transition to table fooduntil she was around 12 months.

I think you just need to offer and see when she is ready.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  9. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I thought babies swallowed air if you gave them empty bottles? (honest question)
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linderful View Post
    I thought babies swallowed air if you gave them empty bottles? (honest question)
    they do. her's is never empty, at the very least it has water in it.

I just want to get her off the "sleep with a bottle" thing cause i know it's TERRIBLE for her teeth :/
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast