Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Dental Visit?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Question First Dental Visit?

Advertisements
    How old was your child when they had their first dental appointment? Jayden is almost 10 months and just got his first tooth, I was wondering when I should make his appointment.
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

We recommend our families take their children when they get their first tooth or around their 1st birthday.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I've seen some say it's when they get their first tooth- anytime up until 2. I will call and make an appointment for him tomorrow. Thanks!
  4. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    DD was about 15 months when she had her first visit.

Really it's up to you my old insurance before Tri-care wouldn't cover DD going to the dentist till she was one unless she had issues. So she didn't go till after her first birthday. Which I didn't feel she needed to go real young anyways, but some people do like to go before the age of one.
    Signature removed due to size.
  5. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden's Mum View Post
    I've seen some say it's when they get their first tooth- anytime up until 2. I will call and make an appointment for him tomorrow. Thanks!
    Just a heads up, some dentists will fight with you and refuse to see them until they are 3...but keep looking till you find one, and make sure you ask about getting a flouride treatment on his gums

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    DD was about 15 months when she had her first visit.

Really it's up to you my old insurance before Tri-care wouldn't cover DD going to the dentist till she was one unless she had issues. So she didn't go till after her first birthday. Which I didn't feel she needed to go real young anyways, but some people do like to go before the age of one.
    I was wanting to wait until he was one but from reading so many different things I've questioned myself. I don't want to scare him!

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Krys*~ View Post
    Just a heads up, some dentists will fight with you and refuse to see them until they are 3...but keep looking till you find one, and make sure you ask about getting a flouride treatment on his gums
    What does that do?
  7. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Protects the gums from the milk and stuff sitting on them...it's a flouride varnish I think is what they call it.

They'll also probably instruct you to wipe his gums off with a wet wash cloth before laying him down for the night so the milk isn't sitting on his gums overnight

8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*Krys*~ View Post
    I had this issue but most when I looked wouldn't take DD before the age of 2. I had to call 5 different dentists before I found one that would take DD before her 2nd birthday, and that would expect our insurance. Some here won't take kids till they are 4 even. When DD chipped her tooth around 3 I had to call 3 different places before finding one to take her just to get her in somewhere to fix her tooth. That was even with me paying out of pocket so it wasn't an insurance issue just an age issue...

OP hope you find a good dentist for your little one.
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 03-11-2012 at 10:51 PM.
  9. Uh-Lawn-Uh
    Uh-Lawn-Uh
    We usually like seeing children as soon as they start getting teeth. Just to make sure everything is ok. Although, we usually refer over to a pedo office. But deffo time for his first appointment.
  10. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayden's Mum View Post
    I was wanting to wait until he was one but from reading so many different things I've questioned myself. I don't want to scare him!
    If you have a good dentist they are normally pretty good at not scaring the daylights out of little ones. Lol The first one I took DD to had his assist playing with puppets to help keep her distracted, and had a T.v. in the room with cartoons playing so if DD wanted to she could look at the T.v.. Then after she got a sticker. She didn't like them poking around in her mouth, but they were pretty good at keeping her calm. She just gave them this look like "I don't like you" while they looked at her teeth.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast