Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bfing question

1. Senior Member

bfing question

Advertisements
    so i'm totally new at bfing , since Owen was so early and my boobies hated pumping/my milk dried up no matter what i did with pumping with him.

so i have a bfing question . how do i know when he is hungrey and when he isnt?

see i bf him and he eats , falls asleep , i switch sides/wake him him. he nurses again and goes back to sleep... then when i lay him down he gets fussy...

so is he still hungrey? or just didnt want me to put him down?

or sometimes when i fed him he eats falls asleep switch falls asleep then is wide awake...

how do i tell if he is still hungrey?

i know its rare that moms dont make enough for thier kiddos - how can i tell if i am or not ? in the NICU they had to sub some formula when i couldn't get my pumped milk to them... so i know he has had a few bottles ... and even now at night he sometimes does ....

the other morning when DH had him (i was in class) he ate 3 oz of breast milk and then took 2 of formula (dh didnt have anymore breastmilk)... but everytime i pump i cant get more than 1oz out of each side...
    Due March 19 2009 born at 31w6d,54 day NICU stay(home march 11th w/o anything),4 days on vent,40ish days on O2 after that
    Due March 11 2012 born at 35w 1 d, 11 day NICU stay(home Feb 17 with O2 ),27 days on Oxygen
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Is he in deep sleep or still having eye movement and stuff?

If he's taking the boob when he fusses, he's probably hungry (or just wants boobie comfort). If he doesn't want it he will continue to fuss and turn away from the breast.

Sounds to me like he just wants to nurse himself to sleep, which is totally normally. They get so comfy and relaxed nursing that they take a little snooze.

That's my take on it. Some kids are just snackers, they like to have small frequent feedings.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I personally would stop switching sides. And he's really shouldn't be eating 5oz a all. At 3 weeks it should be closer to 3 oz. if you give me his weight (last weight you know of) I can tell you how much he should be eating at a time.
    Do you have the right sized breast shields?
    Totally agree he might be a snacker or comforter and gets annoyed with his comfort is gone! Maybe try a paci every so often.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    I was told by my lactation consultant that I could feed my baby whenever she wants. She said that babies tend to stop sucking once they're full. So that's what I did for 12 months. I had no idea how much she was eating but every time I go to the doctor I was told to just keep doing what I'm doing and my baby was gaining the right weight.

Also, my LC used to tell me that most times you can't get the full amount when you pump. She said that babies sucking technique is not the same as pumping.
  5. Senior Member
    his last weight on friday was 5 lbs 11.2 oz . we got that from his home health nurse , who wasn't surprised or didn't mention anything wrong with him eating that much(the 5 oz) she said he might be trying to catch up to where he should be in utero ( he was 5 weeks early, due date march 11) because it seems like he is gaining about what he would have ( on feb 17 he was discharged at 5 lbs 1 oz)---- is it bad he ate that much for DH ?

everyone else - i fed him when he seems hungry ( about every 3 ish sometimes every 2 and 1/2 hours), and before i switch sides i let him eat till he stops /falls asleep then switch ( a nurse had suggested it in the NICU) after he burps because once he burps he still acts like he is starving .

I really hope i can stick with the Bfing - its such new ground for me lol ... owen only ate from me once ... the rest was all pumped in a bottle before it dried out. it's weird for me not to know whats the norm lol
    Due March 19 2009 born at 31w6d,54 day NICU stay(home march 11th w/o anything),4 days on vent,40ish days on O2 after that
    Due March 11 2012 born at 35w 1 d, 11 day NICU stay(home Feb 17 with O2 ),27 days on Oxygen
  6. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I find the 5oz a lot, too. His stomach isn't big enough to hold that much, I don't know how he is fitting it in there! Kalista can't even eat that much at once and she is 5.5 weeks old and born at 39+1.

I would stick to the same side to make sure he is getting enough hindmilk and not just foremilk. Foremilk will quench his thirst, but not really satisfy his hunger, so if you switch too soon and he doesn't get any of the fatty hindmilk he will continue to want to eat because he still feels hungry.

You can buy a scale to weigh him on so that you can see exactly how much he is eating, too. Just weigh him before, feed, then weigh him again. This young babies go through tons of growth spurts so they will cluster feed to help them grow and as a way to help you build your supply. When he acts hungry, latch him on and let him go for it. There will be days you will feel like a human pacifier, that is totally normal! You can always try a pacifier first to give yourself a break when he just wants to be on the breast non-stop, but when he is actually hungry nothing is going to be good enough for him except for the breast.

Also, if your ped wants you to supplement to help him grow since he is a preemie, see if you can get a SNS. That will allow you to supplement with formula or pumped milk and still get him latched to help keep your supply up.

7. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Every 2-3 hours seems far apart for him, but I can only compare to how my 2 1/2 wk old is eating, and she is on my boob like every hour. My LC just said to feed her as much as she wants to eat. It has made my boobs do some crazy engorging, but during the day she eats like every 1-2 hours for about 20-30 minutes at a time. I only feed her one breast at a time unless after 20-30 minutes on one breast she seems like she still wants more, then I'll switch sides.

K is a comfort feeder big time though, she nurses at night until she falls asleep, we ended up giving her a pacifier because it helps with the whole comfort sucking thing.

Good luck, is there a Le Leche League close to you that you could go to a BF class with? Or a LC in your area that might be able to help?

What kind of pump are you using? I know the ones you can rent from hospitals are supposed to be more efficient at getting milk out than the pumps that you can buy.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  8. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybun View Post
    Is he in deep sleep or still having eye movement and stuff?

If he's taking the boob when he fusses, he's probably hungry (or just wants boobie comfort). If he doesn't want it he will continue to fuss and turn away from the breast.

Sounds to me like he just wants to nurse himself to sleep, which is totally normally. They get so comfy and relaxed nursing that they take a little snooze.

That's my take on it. Some kids are just snackers, they like to have small frequent feedings.
    This

Also don't worry that you're only pumping out 1oz. A baby is far more efficient at getting out milk than a pump, especially if it's not a top notch pump. So even though you're only pumping out 1oz, your baby can be getting out 2-3oz (possibly more) when nursing.

For me personally, when Landon was a newborn he fed every hour, sometimes less, and ate anywhere from 10-40 minutes. He usually nursed himself to sleep. I'd tickle his feet the first few times to wake him up a bit, but after that I just let him nod back off.

9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    At 5 lb 11oz he should be eating 15.2oz a day. So divide that by how many feeds he has and that's how much to make his bottles for. When being fed formula he doesn't get the same full receptors that he would ger when breastfeeding from the boob.
    Just remember to count his wet diapers! Over 6 wet diapers a day and he should be good! If your really worried see if you can rent an infant scale and do test weights. Weight him, then feed him then weigh him. With diaper and clothes on.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobie*Feeder View Post
    At 5 lb 11oz he should be eating 15.2oz a day. So divide that by how many feeds he has and that's how much to make his bottles for. When being fed formula he doesn't get the same full receptors that he would ger when breastfeeding from the boob.
    Just remember to count his wet diapers! Over 6 wet diapers a day and he should be good! If your really worried see if you can rent an infant scale and do test weights. Weight him, then feed him then weigh him. With diaper and clothes on.
    Good advice! Count the wet diapers and get used to feeling your baby's fontanels (soft spot). If it starts to sink, it could mean he's not eating enough/dehydration. Also, your pediatrician will monitor weight, and they should be gaining...which is a good indicator of if he is eating enough. I'm a NICU nurse, and so I just wanted to mention (which I'm sure you've realized), feeding your baby at home is vastly different from the NICU. We work on a 3 hour schedule (at least on my unit) and are very focused on volume, versus just feeding on demand/ad lib, like what you are doing at home. I wouldn't focus as much on the amount, but rather on if he is having wet diapers, acts full, sleeping, etc. Some babies can eat every 1-2 when breastfeeding, especially when going through a growth spurt. Also, the PP mentioned breast pumps...you will almost always produce more milk when BF versus pumping...it's human nature and has to do with hormones. Sounds like you are doing a great job...just follow your mommy intuition!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast