Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Alternative to Bumpers?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Alternative to Bumpers?

Advertisements
    We've been using bumpers since Wyatt was born until just this week. He's learning how to stand on things to get higher He stacked stuffed animals in his playroom to get into his toybox - like truly IN his toybox I wish I had grabbed my camera but anyway... His crib is dropped down but I'm scared to death of him using his bumpers for leverage and hauling his little butt out.

With that said, however, he's bumped his head at least once a night on the crib slats. Last night he bumped so hard that he has two, evenly spaced bruises on his forehead Is there anything that I can put up on/around his crib to pad his head but not give him a leg up or are bumpers it? If not, I'm thinking I'll just make a bubblewrap helmet for him.
  2. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    I have no idea if there is an alternative, but if you can't find anything you should lower the crib mattress. If you lower it then he can't flip himself out.

Or try putting the bumper lower. I'm assuming he's bumping his head in his sleep so it doesn't need to be too high, maybe halfway below the mattress line and the half above to protect his noggin.
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    ive seen mesh type bumpers to put around the crib at target, not sure if that wud help your situation but worth checking out!

or bubble wrap the bars, LOL jk
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by chickadeebaby View Post
    I have no idea if there is an alternative, but if you can't find anything you should lower the crib mattress. If you lower it then he can't flip himself out.

Or try putting the bumper lower. I'm assuming he's bumping his head in his sleep so it doesn't need to be too high, maybe halfway below the mattress line and the half above to protect his noggin.
    His crib is on it's lowest height right now. He hasn't done it yet but I'm sure the time is coming that he'll figure out how to get on top of his bumpers. I'll have to set up the bumpers in between the mattress and see how high the top is... Thanks for that suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by HisCupcake View Post
    ive seen mesh type bumpers to put around the crib at target, not sure if that wud help your situation but worth checking out!

or bubble wrap the bars, LOL jk
    I've seen the mesh ones, too, but that's the same problem because they create a leg-up for him. Plus those aren't nearly as cushioned as the regular ones Thanks for your suggestion, though.
  5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I don't use bumpers until after my kids turn 1; I'm paranoid like that.

Anyway, we also don't want little arms and legs stuck in the slats or them falling out of the crib from climbing. Also, with ODD, we had a cat we needed to keep out of her crib. It became his favorite place to sleep as soon as it was set up and he was like a 25 lb cat. He was the size of a small dog and was heavy even of our grown up chests.

So we use a crib tent: Tots In Mind Cozy Crib Tent II 1, White:Amazon:Baby. When they can start to open the zipper, we safety pin it closed. When they can undo the safety pin and unzip it, we transition to a toddler ded.

After age 1, the soft padded crib bumper gets added to the crib between the tent and the crib slats to cushion during tossing and turning, etc.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    These wrap around individual slats:
    Amazon.com: Go Mama Go Designs 24 Pack Wonder Bumpers, Blue/Chocolate: Baby

I'm sure you can probably find them (or similar ones) cheaper.
  7. Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    Friendly Neighborhood Fabric Pimp
    get pool noodles and slit one side open and slide them on. then he can beat you when you come to get him when he learns to take them off
  8. i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    i will NOT limbo in Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    These wrap around individual slats:
    Amazon.com: Go Mama Go Designs 24 Pack Wonder Bumpers, Blue/Chocolate: Baby

I'm sure you can probably find them (or similar ones) cheaper.
    Or you could make those easy!

Quote Originally Posted by *ROO*
    get pool noodles and slit one side open and slide them on. then he can beat you when you come to get him when he learns to take them off
    LOVE it!!
    I'm LeAndra

Married to James since October 2008
    Lorelai Feb 2010
    Beckham July 2012
    I am a Christian & SAHM/W

If you have any questions about massage therapy, breastfeeding, natural birth, Your Baby Can Read, teaching kids sign language or whatever...feel free to ask!
    PS~ Please excuse any typos for the time being...I've almost always got an arm full of baby