Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with me?

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

Confused What is wrong with me?

Advertisements
    I've been cosleeping with Landon since he was about 5 weeks old, and he's never been a very good sleeper at night. On average he would maybe sleep an hour and half - two hours at a clip. I've been trying for over a month to get him to sleep somewhere other than my arms or chest because well...frankly it'd be nice to have my space back and DH wants "our" space back as well

So the past 3 nights he's been sleeping 4-5 hours at a time in his swing during the night, which is amazing.

The problem you ask?

I can't sleep. I have such anxiety As uncomfortable as it was at times, I got so used to having him in my arms at night. Then to top it off, his swing is gigantic and can't move through doorways, and it's set up in the living room. So, I have to put the video baby monitor on him, which gives me even more anxiety. I went from having him in my arms every night where I could feel his every movement to him being in another room completely, and it's making it so I can't sleep whatsoever at night.

So the past 2 nights I've been sleeping on the couch next to his swing, which eases my anxiety a bit, but I still can't sleep. I have a lot of trouble falling asleep, and then I guess I'm just so used to waking up a lot that my body does it anyway, even if he's not awake. On top of that DH is a little upset that I'm not sleeping in our bed with him. I'm so torn. He doesn't understand how hard it is for me to just be okay with sleeping, what feels like to me, a million miles away from DS

What is wrong with me? I wanted my baby to learn to sleep in his own space and for more than an hour or two. I have that, so why am I being such a weirdo about it?

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I was the exact same way with both of my kids. No advice because we ended up co-sleeping for a long time.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  3. Senior Member
    Sounds normal to me. Could you buy another swing and assemble it in your bedroom?
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    I was the exact same way with both of my kids. No advice because we ended up co-sleeping for a long time.
    Thanks for the hugs

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Sounds normal to me. Could you buy another swing and assemble it in your bedroom?
    His swing was almost $200 and unfortunately we don't have that kind of money to spend on an extra swing

5. Senior Member
    Can you just move the swing into your room at night?

Nevermind I just read the OP again

Does he have to sleep in the swing?
  6. Senior Member
    I was super nervous when the girls moved into their own room and would check on them every 5 minutes. And when the monitor was quiet I convinced myself that both of them had stopped breathing (very logical, I know). It does get better. It's just a new mom thing. They're almost 9 months and I still check on them several times after they go to sleep but I'm able to sleep through the night now. He'll be ok!
  7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Can you just move the swing into your room at night?

Nevermind I just read the OP again

Does he have to sleep in the swing?
    he won't sleep anywhere else now. I even tried co-sleeping just to ease my mind and he woke up every 45 minutes kicking and screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMR View Post
    I was super nervous when the girls moved into their own room and would check on them every 5 minutes. And when the monitor was quiet I convinced myself that both of them had stopped breathing (very logical, I know). It does get better. It's just a new mom thing. They're almost 9 months and I still check on them several times after they go to sleep but I'm able to sleep through the night now. He'll be ok!
    I may or may not have done this...several times

Thanks

8. Senior Member
    Would he sleep in a carrier type thing in your room? I'm just thinking maybe the shape of it is similar or something.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    My solution is... have a glass of wine

No seriously, just relax. Your baby is fine... you know this because you've watched him for the past two nights . You also know that he has a good set of lungs on him, and that if something was wrong, he would let you know. does your monitor have a video option? I would just set that up.

10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    Would he sleep in a carrier type thing in your room? I'm just thinking maybe the shape of it is similar or something.
    I don't think it's the shape as much as the constant rocking motion. I put him to sleep by rocking him, so I think he finds that similar motion to be soothing, kwim? Plus, I have no place to put the carrier in my room because there's no way I could leave it on the floor with our two gigantic dogs

I do thank you for trying to come up with some ideas though. I promise I'm not just trying to shoot them down for the heck of it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast