Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: sick of pedis!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

sick of pedis!

Advertisements
    Ugghh, poor DS has a terrible diaper rash, I bought him to the pedi yesterday bc it was starting to bleed. She told me she would prescribe me strong zinc oxiode cream and to mix it with baby powder to form a "clay" and she told me to layer it excessively and very thick. His poop is very watery and I addressed it to her and basically said it was "normal". He had surgery on is small intestines about a month ago and is on a pre-digested formula, so when things like this come up I do not take it lightly. So I went to the pharmacy to pick up the cream and they gave me such a hard time and said all the prescription was for was desitin cream. REALLY. I told them no she perscribed me stronger cream. basically they just said no its just desitin, and said they will go prepare it for me (aka pick it up off the shelf and put it in a bag for me) and it was going to cost 18$ for a tube. REALLY, i can jus walk to the shelf and pick it up myself for less than 5$. I am pist the pedi sent me to the pharmacy (we all know our time is precious as new moms) for a tube of desitin that I already have at home! so I go home and mix up this concoction that she told me to do and it is so messy to apply it all over him and when he poop just gets all caked in there. I am so sick of seeing different pedis, we left the last one bc she pretty much misdiagnosed my son, said he had reflux but it was actually a bowel obstruction! ughh this turned into a long rant, sorry! i jus want his rash to go away, hes in so much pain!
  2. Senior Member
    Can you talk to patient advocacy? Maybe they can get you a PCM off base. I can't imagine having to bounce around doctors like that. I've been spoiled in that my kids and I have seen the same doctor the last few years.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Can you talk to patient advocacy? Maybe they can get you a PCM off base. I can't imagine having to bounce around doctors like that. I've been spoiled in that my kids and I have seen the same doctor the last few years.
    i wish we cud but my husband jus got of the marines, so we dont have that privilage,
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

You might try Calmoseptine. I used this for yds diaper rashes and it is a miracle worker!

Amazon.com: CALMOSEPTINE OINT 4OZ TB: Health & Personal Care
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. Senior Member
    Have you tried using different diapers?

Just going by what happened to my Mom when I was a baby. I had horrible eczema and diaper rash all of the time. She finally ended up using cloth diapers because all of the disposable diapers were causing the diaper rash.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  6. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Sounds like he needs Nystatin. It's yeast cream, same crap as you or I would use.

When my kids had a bloody diaper rash, Desitin actually made it worse and hurt them when I applied it.

A&D helped better than Desitin for my daughter. Give him lots of "air". Naked tummy time, etc. Give him an hour out of the tub on a towel to just air-dry. Poor kid. And poor you!
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by devilwhiterose View Post
    Sounds like he needs Nystatin. It's yeast cream, same crap as you or I would use.
    That was exactly what I was thinking, especially when you said it was bleeding. Nystatin can work wonders on a terrible diaper rash.

When my kids had a diaper rash like that, Desitin actually worked against us. For regular diaper rashs, we used Boudreaux's Butt paste. Otherwise, we went to the Ped for a Nystatin prescription.

My grandma was a pharmacist and when we were visiting and my middle child got a diaper rash that was bad like that, she actually recommended Lotremin, which is an antifungal cream. It works like Nystatin and can be used until you can get to the doctor.
    <3
    Nystatin, Monistat, pretty much anything that is designed to fight yeast. My pedi told me I could even use anti-yeast foot cream.

You can also try letting him go diaper-less to air out. I did that with my boys and it is sooo beneficial to their skin. If your LO isn't crawling yet, you can lay a towel down for him to play on, just in case. Good luck
  9. Senior Member
    My child had that when she was little. We changed to cloth diapers. Also cleared her up with a triple antibiotic ointment (not cream). After it cleared up (less than a week) we kept a very light application of Vaseline on the bottom. It provides a very good barrier against any kind of wetness. Works so much better than creams.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  10. Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    Don't you know, don't you know that you're beautiful?
    I don't know the details of what your doctor prescribed, but it sounds like what happened is that she prescribed you a preparation that the pharmacist would have had to compound for you- not Desitin itself. So the pharmacist wouldn't have been "picking it up off the shelf", they would have been making a strong protective cream specifically according to the doctor's instructions. The pharmacist likely recommended Desitin to you because it is a cheap, commercially available product that has the same active ingredient- zinc oxide. The idea behind this was that your insurance may not have been willing to pay for the compounded product, so the pharmacy was trying to save you money. Also, if they had gone ahead and made the cream and then you decided not to buy it because it was $18 rather than $5, they would not be able to sell it to anyone else, because it was prepared specifically for your son, kwim? Just some insight from my experiences in the pharmacy.

Did they give you the prescription back? for you and your son and all the trouble.
    blondiebabe is my twin! Distance Divas SailorsGoddess is my wifey!