Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Moms - What's your postpartum body like?

1. Senior Member

Moms - What's your postpartum body like?

Advertisements
    So, Eleanor is 24 weeks old now and I'm really disappointed with how slowly I'm losing weight and how awful my body looks post partum. I gained way too much weight in the pregnancy (59lbs and had a 10lb 8.5 oz baby) - I've lost 40lbs and I still need to lose the last 20lbs. I exclusively breastfeed and try to get to the gym when I can - which has only been about 2x/week on average. I was wearing a size 4 before and am now wearing a size 10 (I was a 12 until just a couple weeks ago...)

Aside from my frustration about how slowly the weight is coming off, my stomach is just...destroyed. It's covered in stretch marks and I have saggy hanging skin that looks kinda like crepe paper

Seems like I lose a little and then plateau...lose a little, then plateau, etc. I have a weird feeling that I probably won't lose the last bit of weight until Eleanor weans and I can start getting back into the gym regularly.

What are your bodies doing? Bouncing right back? Losing weight slowly? Not losing at all? Anybody else with saggy tummy skin?

My poor husband is so supportive, but I know he was really surprised/shocked by how "different" my body looks now.
  2. Senior Member
    I had a baby three years ago and the stretchy skin & weight took almost 2 years for me to get rid of! Be patient because it will happen for you. I was a size 8 pre baby and I gained 50 pounds during my pregnancy. I have lost 65 pounds now and I'm a size 4-6. It took time and lots of portion control! I totally understand where you are coming from. I do sit ups every night and it has firmed up my stomach. The stretch marks have faded some but are still there unfortunately. Don't be hard on yourself!!
    Mommy since 2009
  3. Senior Member
    I TOTALLY feel you. And it's REALLY depressing to see some of these other moms bounce right back.

I also was a size 4 and gained about 60 lbs. While I've been able to tell progress size wise, fitting into more clothes etc, I have really only lost 25 lbs weight wise. Idk why, DH has been pretty amazed the scale has shown such little improvement when I look way smaller. I've gone from an extremely tight size 12, to probably being able to wear a size 8 but refuse to buy more pants. lol.

I quit BF about a month ago but with my crazy school schedule and DH being deployed, I haven't made it to the gym in a few weeks-but have done some stuff at home.

I am slowly getting better but am covered in stretch marks. The other day I joked that I was a zebra :/.

Just remember, it took a long time to put it on and it's gonna take a good year at least to take it off.

you'll get there, we'll get there. If you need anything or just someone to talk to let me know!
    misskrissyo is my partner in crime Fifi is my lover

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    So, Eleanor is 24 weeks old now and I'm really disappointed with how slowly I'm losing weight and how awful my body looks post partum. I gained way too much weight in the pregnancy (59lbs and had a 10lb 8.5 oz baby) - I've lost 40lbs and I still need to lose the last 20lbs. I exclusively breastfeed and try to get to the gym when I can - which has only been about 2x/week on average. I was wearing a size 4 before and am now wearing a size 10 (I was a 12 until just a couple weeks ago...)

Aside from my frustration about how slowly the weight is coming off, my stomach is just...destroyed. It's covered in stretch marks and I have saggy hanging skin that looks kinda like crepe paper

Seems like I lose a little and then plateau...lose a little, then plateau, etc. I have a weird feeling that I probably won't lose the last bit of weight until Eleanor weans and I can start getting back into the gym regularly.

What are your bodies doing? Bouncing right back? Losing weight slowly? Not losing at all? Anybody else with saggy tummy skin?

My poor husband is so supportive, but I know he was really surprised/shocked by how "different" my body looks now.
    I have never been one to bounce back. I am very-um-"squishy" Post partum I guess you could say.

It took nine months to get that way, it will take at least that long to get back. Also, I learned quick that my body will never be "the same" but it can look just as good, but different.

My saggy tummy skin takes the longest, and I always have some, but it gets better with time and exercise. I have to give that part about a year to get to an acceptable place.

I am losing very slowly this time around. Only lost 17 of 40 lbs.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah I definitely didn't "bounce back after the twins. I only gained 35lbs with them, I lost maybe 10 of that when I started working out consistently. That flabby skin was the WORST and HARDEST part of it all. My stretch marks did fade. I'm actually ready for it this time and can't wait to get back to my work out regimen when these two come. Just keep up the hard work.

6. Senior Member
    My first one I was one of those Mom's that everyone hates. I wore my pre-pregnancy jeans home from the hospital with him but I only gained 20 something pounds and he was 8 lb. So within no time I was back to "normal". The stretch marks took a while to fade but everything else went well.

However with DS#2 it was completely different. I, like you, gained 60 lbs with him but unlike you he was only 7lb 14oz. I wore my maternity clothes for several month after having him because they were the only clothes that fit, and I refused to go out and get "big" clothes. It took at least 6 months before I lost hardly any weight, and even then I still was several sizes bigger than my pre-pregnancy self. After about a year I got all but 10 lb off and was keeping it off. I however never lost that last 10 lbs. I just finally had to decide that my new normal was 10 lb heavier than what I wanted.

With this one who knows how my body is going to react, I have only gained 27lb this time around so maybe that will help me out. Best of luck. Determination and positive thinking are the only things that helped me. I had to believe that one day I would feel ok with my body and be determined to make that day come true. Keep your chin up and you will get there too. I promise.
  7. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I gained 47lbs and had a 9lb 2oz baby. I've lost 41lbs of it, but my tummy doesn't look anything like it had before. My stomach is completely covered in stretch marks that make me look like I was attacked by a bear and I'm still very squishy. I also ended up in a c-section so I have an extra squishy "pooch" above my incision that just won't go away. I hate being naked or wearing anything really tight. I got asked a few weeks ago if I was pregnant again, which did not help me self-esteem at all

I'm sorry you're having a tough time losing, but 40lbs isn't something to sneeze at. They say it usually takes about a year for most moms to lose it. It basically took you 10 months to gain it, so it can sometimes take that to lose it.

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Externally, I recovered super well. I'm 20 lbs under prepreg, most of my prepreg clothes are big on me, no stretch marks, etcetc.

But I am still having horrible problems with the hemorrhoids. It's still so painful and I bleed every time I have a BM. I've been staying hydrated, eating fiber, etc. but they're STILL there. And they're huge prolapsing ones, so that sucks.

It makes me feel REALLY unattractive that I get bulging hemorrhoids, however hot my body looks I'm really insecure about (if the rest of this wasn't TMI, this might be) being with DH because he'll be able to see them during I just feel really gross and I want to get the rubber band thing to have them taken off.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    Externally, I recovered super well. I'm 20 lbs under prepreg, most of my prepreg clothes are big on me, no stretch marks, etcetc.

But I am still having horrible problems with the hemorrhoids. It's still so painful and I bleed every time I have a BM. I've been staying hydrated, eating fiber, etc. but they're STILL there. And they're huge prolapsing ones, so that sucks.

It makes me feel REALLY unattractive that I get bulging hemorrhoids, however hot my body looks I'm really insecure about (if the rest of this wasn't TMI, this might be) being with DH because he'll be able to see them during I just feel really gross and I want to get the rubber band thing to have them taken off.
    I have hemmiriods still too.
    I have strech marks up to my boobs and I can't seem to loose weight even with working out 3-4 times a week and watching what I'm eating. I'm feeling super discouraged and thing something else must be wrong.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post

I have this same problem as well

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast