Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Question

1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.

Question Breastfeeding Question

Advertisements
    Sorry for all the questions lately ladies, but thank you all for your responses in each

How long and how often do you BF for?

I basically EBF and over the past few days of hearing how long some mama's nurse for, I'm starting to worry myself thinking that I'm not feeding Landon enough.

He usually nurses every 3-4 hours during the day but only for 5-10 minutes (Occasionally maybe 15 mins tops). During the night he nurses about every 2 hours for about 10-20 minutes. If he's going through a growth spurt he eats about every hour for 5-10 minutes.

He still has about 7-8 wet diapers daily and 1-2 poopy diapers.

2. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I can't remember when it started, but Ansley was like that too. As long as he is having enough wet diapers, then it's fine.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't know much on the topic but I'm all for they'll tell you when they're hungry. I let DS latch twice this morning and I let him go for as long as he wants. But he takes long breaks not continuous sucking. Maybe your boobie has lots of milk squirting out and doesn't take him as long!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Until three months Keygan nursed both sides "dry" about every 1.5 hours. After that he would nurse one side dry and nurse again in two hours. I could pump four ounces on one side for work.
    I think nursing on demand is important. Especially when they're little.
  5. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    I can't remember when it started, but Ansley was like that too. As long as he is having enough wet diapers, then it's fine.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    I don't know much on the topic but I'm all for they'll tell you when they're hungry. I let DS latch twice this morning and I let him go for as long as he wants. But he takes long breaks not continuous sucking. Maybe your boobie has lots of milk squirting out and doesn't take him as long!
    Yeah, my milk does come out quite fast these days He doesn't seem to mind, but if he de-latches too soon I have streams pouring out at all angles

It just freaks me out about his eating because he went form eating 30-40 mins at a clip when he was a newborn to about 10 minutes every hour when he 6 weeks old.

6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordana View Post
    Until three months Keygan nursed both sides "dry" about every 1.5 hours. After that he would nurse one side dry and nurse again in two hours. I could pump four ounces on one side for work.
    I think nursing on demand is important. Especially when they're little.
    Yeah, he just doesn't appear to be hungry as often. Yesterday he went 5 hours before he started showing even a slight sign of being hungry. Then he ate for 10 minutes. It was another 3 hours after that before he started getting hungry again.

7. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    The girls had GER so they nursed very frequently, about every 1.5-2 hours during the day/evening. Stretches started becoming longer when dd1 hit 7 months, about the time she outgrew GER. With dd2 she didn't start going longer between nursing sessions until closer to 10/11 months.

With ds2, I pumped for the most part until he was 5.5 months. After he returned to the breast he nursed about every 2 hours, sometimes longer stretches. I also supplemented.

They all generally nursed to feed for about 15-20 minutes, past that it was for comfort.
    Pax, Aeon
  8. Senior Member
    Eleanor is 24 weeks and nurses 5-6x/day (so, basically every 3 hours) for about 7-10 minutes, on average. Her first AM nursing and her middle of the night nursing are the longest - maybe 15-20 minutes tops.

I was worried too, but like you said - she's getting plenty of wet and dirty diapers, so I'm not gonna worry.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Wyatt only ever nursed for 10-15minutes tops. My mother was floored. The nurses in the hospital called him Little Hoover (like the vacuum) because of how fast he would nurse and how efficient he was in doing so. At Landon's age, he had about the same schedule but nursed less at night. It seems like he's getting enough, though, with the amount of diapers. Don't worry about it unless he is really unhappy and exhibiting signs of hunger all the time - and even that is not a good indicator. Just watch his diapers, actually, is a better idea, lol.
  10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    Wyatt only ever nursed for 10-15minutes tops. My mother was floored. The nurses in the hospital called him Little Hoover (like the vacuum) because of how fast he would nurse and how efficient he was in doing so. At Landon's age, he had about the same schedule but nursed less at night. It seems like he's getting enough, though, with the amount of diapers. Don't worry about it unless he is really unhappy and exhibiting signs of hunger all the time - and even that is not a good indicator. Just watch his diapers, actually, is a better idea, lol.
    You'd think based off of his growth rate and size I wouldn't have worried to start with

Quote Originally Posted by AeonLux View Post
    The girls had GER so they nursed very frequently, about every 1.5-2 hours during the day/evening. Stretches started becoming longer when dd1 hit 7 months, about the time she outgrew GER. With dd2 she didn't start going longer between nursing sessions until closer to 10/11 months.

With ds2, I pumped for the most part until he was 5.5 months. After he returned to the breast he nursed about every 2 hours, sometimes longer stretches. I also supplemented.

They all generally nursed to feed for about 15-20 minutes, past that it was for comfort.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    Eleanor is 24 weeks and nurses 5-6x/day (so, basically every 3 hours) for about 7-10 minutes, on average. Her first AM nursing and her middle of the night nursing are the longest - maybe 15-20 minutes tops.

I was worried too, but like you said - she's getting plenty of wet and dirty diapers, so I'm not gonna worry.
    How big is Eleanor these days? Wasn't she a 10lber at birth? Or am I losing it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast