Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Breastfeeding and bottle?

1. Regular Member

Breastfeeding and bottle?

Advertisements
    Okay so I plan to breastfeed for as long as I can, least give her a really good start. I'm going on maternity leave and that'll be 6 weeks. So when i go back I plan on pumping. When will it be okay to introduce her to a bottle and it not confuse her? && also, i've heard of some women breast feeding but also using formula? Is that even okay? I didnt think it was? Hows that even work if you actually can?

20 questions, lol sorry.. just curious.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I have a friend who breast feeds, but the baby gets formula at night because her son sleeps longer.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Birth to 3weeks is the best time to introduce a bottle and babies rarely get confused. Some however like my daughter refuse a bottle of breastmilk which can make things a struggle.

You should be fine though pumping and giving a bottle. The Tomee tipee bottles are awesome.

We don't do formula at all.
  4. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

It is perfectly fine to give your baby breast milk from a bottle if you want to. I don't think that babies actually get "nipple confusion", there is just a chance they could end up preferring a bottle and that makes them reject the breast (because a bottle can be easier to get milk from and the breast they have to work for it) but if you wait until after breast feeding has been established to introduce a bottle and make sure to use a slow flow nipple on the bottle that makes them work to get the milk out, you will have no problem getting them back on the breast.

As for formula, a lot of women who breast feed also supplement with formula for a lot of reasons. Supply issues, convenience, weight issues, etc. The biggest concerns with formula are usually the babies reaction (they can be a lot harsher on the babies digestive system) and skipping nursing sessions to feed formula can lead to supply issues. There are ways to work around those issues, though, it just depends on your situation.

5. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Also medela just came out with an AWESOME newborn valve nipple. It's great because baby still has to suck to get anything out.
  6. Regular Member
    Oh awesome, cause I'm really wanting to start pumping and using a bottle when we go out to like church or the store. Rather have a bottle for that. But thanks so much for all that I was wanting to use enfamil premium newborn but didn't think I could. So that's great to know that it's an option to do if I need.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I introduced with Jameson at 6.5 weeks (when I went back to school). He hated it at first, but gave in to hunger and has no issues with confusion whatsoever. He clearly prefers breast, but his want for the end result (breastmilk) wins every time. It probably helps that I personally never give him the bottle, only his caregiver.

My daughter had to have an additional bottle of formula after every 30 min breastfeeding, every two hours only while she was under bili lights in the NICU (birth to about 5 days old) to flush billirubin from her system and she took to it fine as well. We stopped bottles when she was better and came home.

I have never actually known anyone with a child that had "nipple confusion" but I might just not know that many people.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by JasonsGirl View Post
    I have a friend who breast feeds, but the baby gets formula at night because her son sleeps longer.
    This is exactly what I'm doing. I also pump and feed my son from a bottle all day but early morning feedings I give him breast. He doesn't get confused at all
  9. Regular Member
    Awe great deal! well guess we'll work and see what works best for us then and see what kind of system we can get on thank you to everyone! Helped out so much!!