Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pumping

1. Senior Member

Pumping

Advertisements
    So I'm renting a hospital grade pump from WIC, which is awesome. But lately, with Zoe's eating habits, I've had a hard time finding time to pump. She wants to eat so often, that I either end up pumping and having to feed it to her, or just not able to get any out since it hasn't been long enough.

I just cannot for the life of me build up a stock to freeze. I'm probably going to have to give the pump back soon and that makes me sad.

Any suggestions?
    Our sweet girl is here!
    ZoŽ Marie- 11.02.11!

http://princessgirlface.blogspot.com/
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

how often is she eating? how much? and how much and how often are you pumping?

If you need to supplement a little to help to get a stock, that is ok as well.

3. Senior Member
    She seems to be slowing down a *wee bit* but for the past few weeks, it's been less than 2 hours between feedings. I rarely get more than 2-3 ounces at a time when I pump. If I bottle feed her, she'll eat somewhere between 2.5-4 ounces. Some days it's like every dang hour she wants to eat, especially in the evening hours.
    Our sweet girl is here!
    ZoŽ Marie- 11.02.11!

4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Try eating two bowls of oatmeal a day and pumping during/after nursing. Milk production is supply and demand. The more you demand (pump) the more you will make. Yes at first you won't get much but it should grow. Also out your pump parts in a Baggie in the fridge so you don't have to clean them every feed. Just 1-2 times a day.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    2-3 oz is a good pumping season to me personally. I throw a party if I can get 4oz
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I noticed my supply got much bigger when I pumped after every feeding. Even if there wasn't anything to pump or store. I also kept a big jug of ice water around when I was nursing and not. I also ate little snacks after nursing. That helped my milk thicken and seemed to fill him up more.
  7. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Dry + five!! Pump after every feeding, and keep pumping for 5 minutes after the breast seems to be emptied. Also, stick to a schedule no matter what. I started out only pumping a few ounces, now I can get 10oz every 3-4 hours. I made the mistake of waiting 5 hours the other day and got 16oz in one sitting. I am almost exclusively pumping at this point, and when she eats from the breast first I only get 5-7 ounces (I feed from one side, pump it, then pump the other side), but it didn't start this way. I worked up to it, and since I stuck to my schedule it didn't take long at all.

• You can eat steel cut or old fashioned oats once or twice a day to help up your supply.
    • You can drink Mother's Milk tea, take More Milk Plus liquid drops, or take Fenugreek tablets (or a combination of any of them) to help increase supply as well.
    • Try pumping one breast at a time (or get a hands-free pumping bra) and massaging the breasts while you pump to express more milk. I start near the arm pit and massage down and work my way around the breast and it really helps to get more milk.
    • There are also some medications you can take! Reglan is the most common, although you can order Domperidone outside the US.
    • Try power pumping to trick your breasts into making more milk. 10 minutes on the pump, 10 minutes off the pump for an hour 2 or 3 times a day. You can do that a few days a week until you see an increase.

Here are some tips on how to increase the amount of milk you pump from one of my lactation groups, too!
    Using the technique described below has been shown to increase the amount of milk you can pump by as much as 30%. (P. Meier)
    1. Massage both breasts, with your fingertips, using small circular movements.
    Start where your breast meets your chest wall

Rotate around your breast spiraling out towards your nipple

2. LIGHTLY stroke both breasts from
    your shoulder to your nipple

your underarms to your nipple

the center of your chest to your nipple

your waist to your nipple

3. Lean over and GENTLY shake your breasts

Pumping: Pumping both breasts at the same time shortens pumping time and increases milk production.
    1. Center breast shields over nipple
    2. Turn on pump
    3. When rate slows (first phase ends) begin increasing the suction. Increase the suction to the highest point you can WITHOUT FEELING PAIN.
    4. Pump for 10 minutes
    5. Stop and Massage-Stroke-Shake again
    6. Pump another 10 minutes
    7. If you are still getting milk continue pumping until you get no milk for 2 minutes. Do not pump longer than 30 minutes
    Also, Kelly Mom is a great site with TONS of information about breastfeeding and pumping. Here is a link to their page about extra things you can take to help increase your supply:
    kellymom.com :: What is a galactagogue? Do I need one?

8. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies I'm going to try these things. I just pumped after feeding her on one side, and persisted even though it seemed like nothing was going to happen... got 2.5 oz. Not a record, but I guess still good-ish for after feeding her.
    Our sweet girl is here!
    ZoŽ Marie- 11.02.11!

9. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I pumped exclusively for the most part with my son, for a number of months. He only nursed at night between the night and early morning pumping sessions. Other than that I would pump every 2-3 hours during the day and 4 at night.

I took fenugreek and Motherlove's More Milk Special Blend to boost my supply. When you smell like maple syrup you'll know you're taking enough of the fenugreek. I had quite a bit stored, over 250 ounces, at one time. There for a while I was pumping 45-52 ounces a day. That was my high point.
    Pax, Aeon