Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidifiers?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Humidifiers?

Advertisements
    I want to get a humidifier for our babys room.

My question is do you use a cool mist or warm mist humidifier for your kiddo's room? Also what brands/style have you found that you like?

Thank you!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I had a HARD time making that decision.
    The cool ones can breed mold/mildew but the warm/hot ones can burn

I ended up buying a vaporizer mainly because we NEEDED something that night.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tana Bear View Post
    I had a HARD time making that decision.
    The cool ones can breed mold/mildew but the warm/hot ones can burn

I ended up buying a vaporizer mainly because we NEEDED something that night.
    I read when I looked up the differences that the hot ones can breed bacteria.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    I read when I looked up the differences that the hot ones can breed bacteria.
    They both can lol
    The warm ones can make the bacteria that is already in the room thrive.
    But if there is bacteria in the water tank of the cool one, since it does not boil the water, it spreads it throughout the room
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tana Bear View Post
    They both can lol
    The warm ones can make the bacteria that is already in the room thrive.
    But if there is bacteria in the water tank of the cool one, since it does not boil the water, it spreads it throughout the room
    Oooyyy! So confusing and so many choices. Oh goodness me.
  6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I have a cold one especially sense DD can get up and mess with it. The hot ones can burn the baby having it to close to their crib and even make them to hot which isn't good if they are sick. I've never had an issue with the cool one the one we have has worked great for when DD has has colds.

If you clean them after each use you should be fine I'd bet a lot of people with the issue of bacteria don't clean them after each use and don't make sure they dry after each use.
    Signature removed due to size.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    I have a cold one especially sense DD can get up and mess with it. The hot ones can burn the baby having it to close to their crib and even make them to hot which isn't good if they are sick. I've never had an issue with the cool one the one we have has worked great for when DD has has colds.

If you clean them after each use you should be fine I'd bet a lot of people with the issue of bacteria don't clean them after each use and don't make sure they dry after each use.
    I was thinking of using it nightly for our son. You'd say i'd have to clean it every day? I know I have to clean it often so I don't have to worry about all the yucky stuff and I also would only put distilled water into it which I read is best for them.
  8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    I was thinking of using it nightly for our son. You'd say i'd have to clean it every day? I know I have to clean it often so I don't have to worry about all the yucky stuff and I also would only put distilled water into it which I read is best for them.
    I guess if it dried out enough you wouldn't as long as no water sits in it for more then over night I'd hope it'd be fine. I clean DD's when I use it every other day with a 10 percent bleach solution. Cleaning it often will help keep the bacteria level down which you can get with either coll or warm normally from sitting water and things not drying out.

Warm-mist vs. cool-mist humidifier: Which is better for a cold? - MayoClinic.com
    Humidifiers add moisture to the air, which helps ease coughing and congestion due to a cold. Warm-mist and cool-mist humidifiers are equally effective in humidifying the air. Also, by the time the water vapor reaches your child's lower airways, it's the same temperature regardless of whether it started out warm or cool.

Another benefit of cool-mist humidifiers is cost. Cool-mist humidifiers are less expensive than are warm-mist humidifiers because you're not paying for the heating element. You may also pay less in energy costs. If you use a humidifier, be sure to keep it clean to prevent the growth of bacteria and molds. Wiping down the humidifier daily with a 10 percent bleach solution — 9 parts water to 1 part bleach — is one way to safely keep it clean.
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    There is also this

Warm Mist vs. Cool Mist Humidifier

Cool Mist Humidifiers

Pros:
    Easy to clean
    More effective in larger areas
    Cool mist is easier to breathe
    Cool mist is more comfortable in warmer climates
    Airwashers (such as the Air-O-Swiss models) produce a cool mist that reduces dust and particles in the air
    Easier to clean
    Cons:
    Slightly noisier than warm mist units due to the fan noise (except for ultrasonic models)
    Cool mist can feel slightly cool and clammy at certain room temperatures
    Wicks in evaporative humidifiers can get dirty or develop mold. Algae can grow in the tank if water is left standing in it for too long

Warm Mist Humidifiers

Pros:
    Great for treating cold and flu
    Many models include a medicine cup to disperse respiratory medicines, inhalants, or essential oils
    More quiet than most cool mist units (although they can produce a boiling noise)
    Warm mist is more comfortable in cooler climates and during the winter
    Cleaner mist than in cool mist humidifiers
    Cons:
    Require frequent cleaning and are more difficult to clean than cold mist humidifiers, since boiling water leaves mineral deposits behind
    Cover smaller area than cool mist humidifiers
    Can leave the room feeling a bit muggy
    Hot steam can be dangerous - keep out of reach of the children
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Germ Guardian H4500 120 Hour Ultrasonic Humidifier The Baby BaloOga

We have this one. It is very quiet and the tank holds enough water for about two nights at the max output. It is also supposed to help prevent the growth of bacteria. Oh and it has a hot or cold option.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast