Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low supply :(

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Low supply :(

Advertisements
    Now I for sure know I have a low supply.
    I took dd to her appointment today and they said she is not gaining enough weight
    The doctor said I need to give her formula along with solids twice a day.

If she eats soilds twice a day (she will only eat half of what she normally does after eating solids) and a bottle twice a day....
    How am I supose to maintain a supply?
  2. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

What is she weighing in at? I know Sarah (caimbrie)'s daughter was always small.. some kids are just petite kids. How often does she eat? Ansley eats 2-4hrs, for about 10-15mins, combined boobs and IMO, i think ansley is a peanut compared to my older 2 when they were this age. Also, does she take formula already? If not, she may not even take the formula. Ansley won't AT ALL.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

She weights 11 pounds (exactly) lol
    She has been eating every 2-4 hours (depends, when she is asleep I dont wake her. We feed on demand) and for 20-45 minutes at a time.
    She does not mind formula, she would prefer breast milk, but she will take formula.
  4. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I don't really see what's wrong with that? I imagine ansley weighs abotu that much- 11-13lbs range What was her weight at last appt?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    I don't really see what's wrong with that? I imagine ansley weighs abotu that much- 11-13lbs range What was her weight at last appt?

and she was born at 5.9

I think it is because of her lenght? She is "average" on length, but is a tiny girl.
  6. Senior Member
    Ugh! I don't know why doctors first thing is to say "Give formula". Formla won't fix a low supply, it will most likely kill it completely.

A better idea is to start taking suspplements, nursing more often or pumping in between feedings. If none of that helps, then I could see trying formula.

My ped thought Anna wasn't gaining fast enough buy she told me to try the things to get my supply up. Turns out my supply was fine-Anna is just petite. She figured that out at the next weigh in.
  7. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Yeah I wouldn't say that it's a supply issue- just that she is petite It looks like she is gaining weight to me ? When was her last appt besides this one?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Abigail View Post
    Ugh! I don't know why doctors first thing is to say "Give formula". Formla won't fix a low supply, it will most likely kill it completely.

A better idea is to start taking suspplements, nursing more often or pumping in between feedings. If none of that helps, then I could see trying formula.

My ped thought Anna wasn't gaining fast enough buy she told me to try the things to get my supply up. Turns out my supply was fine-Anna is just petite. She figured that out at the next weigh in.
    Honestly, I have heard another mommy here complaining about them saying we need to formula feed because of a low supply.
    The other mom, they wanted her to do all but one meal of formula a day.
    I ampretty sure they are trying to push us off breast feeding for whatever reason.

I have to make a follow up appointment in three weeks, lets see if I can actually get in when they want us.

Sorry, this whole thing just has me really upset.
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Your doctor frustrates me!
    Please don't give up on breastfeeding because of this. Tomorrow I'll give you more facts to support why not to give formula (if your still wanting to bf)
    Just continue to breastfeed like normal today.
    I bet your doctor is going off of a formula growth chart not strictly breastfed.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    It's just really hard to compare. All babies gain differently. They compare to a chart that is this general weight and babies are just like the rest of us, we're all different sizes and shapes. I would say she's fine unless she seems unhealthy or is constantly acting like she is starving. Those would be indicators that she might not be getting enough.

Maybe just try some fenugreek or eating some oatmeal bars, something like that. And wait it out until your next appointment to see where her weight is. If she is consistently gaining, then that's a good sign.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast