Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cracked nipple from breastfeeding

1. Senior Member

Duh cracked nipple from breastfeeding

Advertisements
    Ugh! I've been fighting a cracked nipple for the last 5 days. It's not getting worse, but its also not getting better. I've tried lanolin and letting it air out as much as possible. I've tried breast milk on it too. Any tips or tricks? Do I need to call my Dr if it won't heal?

I know I need to know what caused it, in order to prevent it from happening again. I had a plugged duct last week and I was babying that side, so I think the crack popped up from the increased nursing on this side...

I have sort of flat nipples, if that matters. I wanted to avoid shields if at all possible. I have been nursing for 3.5 weeks. Thanks!
  2. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Just keep the lanolin on there, every time after nursing, and make sure her latch is right! I'm sure there will be someone who can offer some more help
  3. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I only had a crack once ever and I did use a shield for it. That and his latch was terrible, which would have just caused more cracks. It was no big deal to get him to stop using it though so I don't see that it did any harm. Then again, I was just desperate for anything that could make it stop hurting

I would put some neosporin on it and just wipe it off before you nurse, then reapply. A cut is a cut, whether it be on your nipple or knee. Also, some people pump exclusively on the cracked side to help it heal faster, but if you don't reaspond very well to pumping that could cause a supply problem.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    When I breastfed my kids, I also had cracked nipples. It was all due to the latch. All I was able to do was apply lanolin, air dry as much as possible, and if I wore breast pads, I made sure to change them very often. Hope it heals soon, it definitely hurts like heck!

Oh, and have you tried changing your position? Maybe that might offer a better latch? My daughter liked the football hold and my son liked the traditional hold. Are you using anything to support the baby, like a Boppy or a pillow? And one last thought, are you hydrated enough?
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Amazon.com: Motherlove Herbal Nipple Cream (1 oz): Baby
    This stuff is way better then lanohlin
    I would suggest a shield if your wanting some relief from the pain. Even just doing it once will help give you a tiny break.
    Also keep air drying, and applying breastmilk, (let that dry) then apply a cream.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    I know absolutely nothing about breastfeeding, but have you tried just plain Vaseline?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Keep using lanolin and work in babygirl's latch. Watch out because mastisis can occur from a crack. If it doesn't getting better see a doc. Maybe they can give you something.
  9. Senior Member
    I had fissures from a bad latch early on also. The LC could tell which position I'd been using from the location of the cracks, so she suggested I try other positions. I also was given a prescription for Newman's Nipple Cream. Part steroid, part antibiotic, and part anti-fungal. It tamed inflammation, kept thrush away, and healed the fissure up. It was amazing, and I'm guessing the "Newman" part is referring to Dr. Jack Newman.
  10. Senior Member
    Thank you! I am trying what they recommend in those. I did the saline rinse last night...

Quote Originally Posted by Katarianna View Post
    I only had a crack once ever and I did use a shield for it. That and his latch was terrible, which would have just caused more cracks. It was no big deal to get him to stop using it though so I don't see that it did any harm. Then again, I was just desperate for anything that could make it stop hurting

I would put some neosporin on it and just wipe it off before you nurse, then reapply. A cut is a cut, whether it be on your nipple or knee. Also, some people pump exclusively on the cracked side to help it heal faster, but if you don't reaspond very well to pumping that could cause a supply problem.

I may try the neosporin. I'm just worried that trying to rub off the ointment is going to hurt

I can pump alright. I haven't tried to empty an entire breast so I don't know how "well" I respond, but I know I can easily get 2-3 oz off of one side with my manual pump, so I think that's a pretty good sign. I feel like the pump hurts a little more though.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemy92F View Post
    When I breastfed my kids, I also had cracked nipples. It was all due to the latch. All I was able to do was apply lanolin, air dry as much as possible, and if I wore breast pads, I made sure to change them very often. Hope it heals soon, it definitely hurts like heck!

Oh, and have you tried changing your position? Maybe that might offer a better latch? My daughter liked the football hold and my son liked the traditional hold. Are you using anything to support the baby, like a Boppy or a pillow? And one last thought, are you hydrated enough?
    Yes, I think my seating position was kind of screwing me up. I have been so careful to sit in a cushy position for my bottom (stiches! ugh!) that I think I was compromising my position for breastfeeding. I'm changing that.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    Amazon.com: Motherlove Herbal Nipple Cream (1 oz): Baby
    This stuff is way better then lanohlin
    I would suggest a shield if your wanting some relief from the pain. Even just doing it once will help give you a tiny break.
    Also keep air drying, and applying breastmilk, (let that dry) then apply a cream.
    Okay, dumb question - but can products like that be used without having to wash it off before breastfeeding??

Quote Originally Posted by jordana View Post
    Keep using lanolin and work in babygirl's latch. Watch out because mastisis can occur from a crack. If it doesn't getting better see a doc. Maybe they can give you something.
    I called the midwife and she said to do the football hold or side lying on that side (I have been doing cradle) and to continue what I've been doing and then f/u in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by NocturneSiren View Post
    I had fissures from a bad latch early on also. The LC could tell which position I'd been using from the location of the cracks, so she suggested I try other positions. I also was given a prescription for Newman's Nipple Cream. Part steroid, part antibiotic, and part anti-fungal. It tamed inflammation, kept thrush away, and healed the fissure up. It was amazing, and I'm guessing the "Newman" part is referring to Dr. Jack Newman.
    My friend said she was prescribed the same thing. I forgot to ask the midwife about it. When I call again on Wednesday, I will ask if things haven't improved.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast