Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mama knows best?

1. Senior Member

mama knows best?

Advertisements
    At zoey's 2 month well baby check up yestersday she was 24 inches long and almost 11 pounds ( she was 6.8 pounds and 20 inches at birth). The peditrictan said she should only eat 4 oz. every hour- when she has been eating ( no joke) 6 oz ( sometimes even 8) every 2 hours unti bedtime. I explained to her that Zo has been a big eater since birth- she polished off 2 oz. bottles in the hosptial The pedi. responed with " She MUST be spitting it all up" and ....shes not...hardly any spit up.
    So I gave 4 ounces a hour a shot. I took Zo 10 mintutes to eat it, then I put the bottle away and started to wait- and the screaming started immeadiatly but i stuck to my guns for 50 more mintutes. Then the domino effect started- she couldn't nap so she was even MORE cranky( she is not a cranky baby at all) and more hungry, so only 2 hours in I caved and let her eat until she stopped aka fell asleep.
    Do I keep trying at the pedi.'s suggestion or trust my own gut feeling that my little girl might eat more?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If she's hungry, feed her, and to hell with the pediatrician. JMO. Every baby is different, some babies eat more, some less.
  3. Daisy dukes. Bikinis on top.
    Daisy dukes. Bikinis on top.
    well i don't have any kids but i have 3 younger siblings and my stepmother just fed them when they were hungry until they weren't hungry. she said that babies know when they are full and will stop eating when they are done. i don't know if that helps at all..but all of her kids are healthy, slim, active 13, 11, and 8 year olds now.
  4. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    I'd probably change pediatricians. I'd want one that would be more inclined to look into why she's eating twice the normal amount that one that wants me to essentially "starve" my child to fit into the recommended feeding guidelines.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    If Zoey is eating fine, and growing fine...I'd say listen to your gut. She will be the one to tell you how much she wants to/can eat.

ETA: I don't get why the doc is complaining. She wants Zoey to eat 4 oz every hour...which would be 8 oz every 2 hours...and that's what she eats. I'm confused.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

If she is hungry feed her - screw the pedi he seems off anyway. Personally I would switch. She won't eat more than she needs/can handle (she may try but it will come back up and then you will know she is finished)

ODBD ate like that too and her doctor never said anything about it being "too much" or to limit her.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I hate people who say a baby eats too much.
    If the babyis hungry, feed her.
    She wont eat more than she can handle
  8. Moderator

I don't buy feeding schedules. I feed my babies on demand. You learn pretty quickly how to tell the difference between hungry, tired, lonely, scared, hurt, etc when it's your own babies- pediatricians can't tell that.
  9. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    I don't buy feeding schedules. I feed my babies on demand. You learn pretty quickly how to tell the difference between hungry, tired, lonely, scared, hurt, etc when it's your own babies- pediatricians can't tell that.

It's ridiculous. Vets tell you to free feed kittens when they're young. If we can trust a damn kitten to eat when it's hungry, stop when it's full, and eat enough to cover it's nutritional bases, why can't we trust an infant? Seems absurd to me.
  10. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Um Yeahhh i'd ignore what that pedi said. Who are you seeing? Is it someone on base?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast