Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refuses to sleep

1. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online

Refuses to sleep

Advertisements
    My adorable daughter whom I love dearly, absolutely refuses to sleep! When she finally falls asleep she won't sleep longer than an hour maybe 2 if I'm lucky. She also has this radar that goes off the second I lay my head down and she wakes up. I don't know what to do. She's so tired which results in her being fussy. And her being fussy results in me being fussy. The only sleep I get is when DH comes home from work in the morning and lets me take a nap before he can no longer function with no sleep.

She's been battling a cold, but she sounds and looks a lot better. Just a minor stuffy nose. So I don't know if that plays a factor or what. She's just so tired, I don't know how to help her.
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    swaddling helps! Even if she seems to not like it just try different ways of doing it. Like with dyl I could only swaddle his arms.
    my friends kid use to only nap in the stroller, so she had to walk him but then he would sleep. (she would just leave him straped into the stroller when they got home)
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. I'm so much cooler online
    She is swaddled. And I put her in the stroller yesterday at the commissary and she screamed through the entire store. I got lots of pity looks. She finally fell asleep but woke up about 5 minutes after we got home. I think she hates me
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    How old is she?

My first thought was to swaddle, but you already are

A couple of things that helped us....

For keeping DS asleep, we use a white noise machine. It blocks out all the noises that would normally startle him... cars driving by, the ice dispenser, barking dogs, etc. LOVE it.

For getting him to sleep, I swaddle him up (even still, at 5 months), cradle him in my arms, and gently bounce in a dim/dark room while going "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh." Sounds ridiculous, I saw it in the "Happiest Baby on the Block" video, and I thought it was ridiculous.... but it works every time.

During the day when I have stuff to do but can't put him down, I stick him in a baby carrier (a wrap when he was itty bitty, an Ergo or Beco now that he's bigger). He loves it, it calms him down if he's fussy, and usually he falls asleep in 10-15 minutes because of the movement.

It definitely took a while for him and I to get our little routines figured out... I looked like the living dead for the first couple of months

It'll get easier!
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Ooh, and the commissary thing sounds like a combo of tired and over-stimulated. If you're able, next time, if you can, try a baby carrier. Being close to you is soothing.
  6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    yes white noise machine or a vacuum!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Senior Member
    As HARD as it is, trust me I know, try and stay calm. Babies are very sensitive and can pick up on how you are feeling. Seriously, I know that is way easier said than done. My daughter used to be really hard to get to sleep, and stay asleep, had to walk up and down for ages with her screaming. But now I just do the same thing over and over. Sit with her, cuddle her in the same way and put her blanket near her face and she knows it's time to sleep. I'm not saying that same exact way will work for you, but doing the same thing all the time has really helped. If that makes any sense.
  8. I'm so much cooler online
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveChildOfDudi View Post
    yes white noise machine or a vacuum!
    We've had the humidifier and fan going right next to her swing (She absolutely refuses to sleep anywhere else but the swing when she does sleep) But she's a very sound sleeper. When she is in a deep sleep she sleeps through EVERYTHING. She doesn't hear the dogs bark or the neighbors stomp up and down the stairs. Although I guess the problem could be she's not in a deep enough sleep.
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    idk damn baby girl has me stumped too on things to try!

assuming you've tried wearing her too?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    Hslept through the night since 2 mate you tried petting her sleep with you? I knowehen Addison was a newborn she refused to sleep in her swing, hated being swaddled and barely slept in the bassient on the pack n play. I think its because she was so use to me and my heart beat that that is the one thing that calmed her. Once DH and I let her sleep with us she has been a great sleeper (has slept through he night since 2 months)

It will b hard to break later cause we are doing that now but it saves you from being exhausted if it works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast