Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now I'm curious: how much is too much formula/BM per feeding?

1. Senior Member

Question Now I'm curious: how much is too much formula/BM per feeding?

Advertisements
    Title = self-explanatory.

Michaela eats every two hours, and will down anywhere from 4.5-6.0 ounces each time. I feel like it's too much per feeding, but my mom believes she gets hungry too often (and thus should eat more...or solids).

I'm honestly interested in as many stories as possible, so forgive me if I bump this a couple...few times.
  2. Moderator

How old is she now? Lyric gets baby oatmeal in her bottles now and she's started going 3ish hours between feedings. She does 4-6 oz each feeding. We do about a tbsp of cereal per 3 oz of formula. She won't eat baby food from a spoon yet- just not interested. I think it's difficult to feed an infant too much- mine have always spit up profusely if they overindulged.
  3. Senior Member
    [Note to self: put ticker back in siggy.]

Well, she's 16w4d now. Four months on the 21st, if one goes by that.

And she drinks so quickly, it's hard to tell whether she's imbibing too much sometimes.
  4. Moderator

I think if her growth is on a healthy curve, she's probably fine. Everyone thinks they know what's best for everyone else's baby, but if you feed her when you think she's hungry and as much as she seems to want, I'm sure you're doing just fine by her. You're a smart mama- trust yourself.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loving View Post
    I think if her growth is on a healthy curve, she's probably fine. Everyone thinks they know what's best for everyone else's baby, but if you feed her when you think she's hungry and as much as she seems to want, I'm sure you're doing just fine by her. You're a smart mama- trust yourself.
    Yeah, yeah...I hear ya, Yoda. Seriously, you lift me up so much in my threads. I appreciate it endlessly.

I am aware of the pitfalls of comparing and doubting and such. I'm just of the mindset that to have an unshakable faith, I have to begin by doubting, then studying, then testing myself. I am a first time mommy, and I don't want my ego to get in the way of doing the absolute best I can by her. If I convey angst or undue stress, I'm sorry. I really am the sort that learns everything the hard way.
  6. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NocturneSiren View Post
    Yeah, yeah...I hear ya, Yoda. Seriously, you lift me up so much in my threads. I appreciate it endlessly.

I am aware of the pitfalls of comparing and doubting and such. I'm just of the mindset that to have an unshakable faith, I have to begin by doubting, then studying, then testing myself. I am a first time mommy, and I don't want my ego to get in the way of doing the absolute best I can by her. If I convey angst or undue stress, I'm sorry. I really am the sort that learns everything the hard way.
    You don't at all! I think you're doing a wonderful job. All you convey to me when you ask questions is how much you care.
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    If she's formula fed main thing is they don't have the same full belly ques released as bf babies, so they have a harder time of known when they are full. For my kid that would of been too much milk. I believe he was only taking 3-4 oz of bm every two hours.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Wow, my kid eats like a horse I guess... he usually averages around 5-6oz/feeding, more if he's going through a growth spurt. He's not big for his age, either. Last time we went in, I believe he was in the 25th percentile for weight. He was itty bitty when he was born

We ended up starting him on solids (and by solids I mean rice cereal, avocados and bananas) about a week ago. It's a little earlier than we'd planned for, but the doctor said that once he started drinking more than 32oz/day, that it might be time to think about solids. Well, he surpassed that.

IDK, doctor said it's perfectly fine... he never throws up
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NocturneSiren View Post
    Title = self-explanatory.

Michaela eats every two hours, and will down anywhere from 4.5-6.0 ounces each time. I feel like it's too much per feeding, but my mom believes she gets hungry too often (and thus should eat more...or solids).

I'm honestly interested in as many stories as possible, so forgive me if I bump this a couple...few times.
    this is absolutely normal- however- since you had said she is eating so fast- go to k mart ( I know they have them ) and get "slow flow " nipples.
    they have a nipple that is designed to slow the flow of liquid -
    it should take her about 15- 20 minutes to drink 6 oz.

and you can start giving her rice cereal- use just formula or BM and make it very watery so she can Suck it off the spoon.
    give her just a tablespoon or so every 4 hours -
    but she will go thru growth spurts where you will wonder where she is putting it!
    and lucky for us this will happen for the next 17 yrs!!
  10. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    My twins eat 6-7oz every 3 hours and get a bowl of cereal for breakfast. (we're about to introduce veggies lunch/dinner)

My daughter gulps her bottles while my son is a grazer.

If you think she's still hungry, put a spoonful of rice in the bottle for some consistency. Sometimes if you keep giving her formula so much-so often, it'll cause her to upchuck because it's all liquid and not getting her full. Try adding some rice!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast