Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coats and boots for babies

1. Senior Member

coats and boots for babies

Advertisements
    So I've been searching and searching and literally can not find a coat for DD for this Fall! It's bugging me so bad.

So then I started looking at Old Navy and I found this: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=857740022

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? We bought one for her last year for when she was born but never used it since we had the cozy cover on her car seat, but now we need something to keep her warm since we go on walks at night and she is in a convertible car seat now.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's easy to get a 7-12 month old in and out of this, if it's warm and what you would put on underneath it to avoid overheating?

It's already down to 69 here and is continuing to get colder so I definitely think we need something for her. I was thinking this now since she's 27 inches and 18 lbs and I think it would last her awhile. Can it last all winter though? It gets to the negative temperatures here and we had a blizzard (over 2 feet of snow) last February...
  2. Senior Member
    It doesn't look like it is 2ft of snow warm and it didn't get good reviews. I would keep looking...
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

My mom had one of those for my brother. She said she didn't like it as much because it was hard to get on and off and he ALWAYS was overheating while in his carseat. So .

I personally don't think 69 is cold and think that a coat like that in 69 degree weather would be way to warm. It's down to 40 here at night and a light coat is all most kiddies need. If you do go with something like that I would go with just putting a onzie type tee underneath to avoid overheating.
    Also snow sticks to fleece like no other so I would find something else.
  4. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

I dont have any experience with it but I know Carter's (i think) makes fleece outfits that are pretty warm. That is what we use for the kids when we are out (bc jackets and coats are a no no in car seats). For the stroller, you could just get a winter jacket and a hat etc, but for car seats, stick with fleece or a poncho type of thing. (i can get a link if you need one)
  5. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    I got something like from Old Navy for DD before and it kept her pretty warm. The negatives though is made her way to hot if we were going to be in doors, it faded fast, and the zipper on hers broke after only 6 times of her wearing it.

I got most of her winter stuff at either Kohl's or Pumpkin Patch when she was tiny.
    Signature removed due to size.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    It doesn't look like it is 2ft of snow warm and it didn't get good reviews. I would keep looking...
    Well she does have a snow suit and coat that is a 12 month. It usually starts snowing here in December so I'm looking for something that she can wear out for walks and in the car seat before it actually snows.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    My mom had one of those for my brother. She said she didn't like it as much because it was hard to get on and off and he ALWAYS was overheating while in his carseat. So .

I personally don't think 69 is cold and think that a coat like that in 69 degree weather would be way to warm. It's down to 40 here at night and a light coat is all most kiddies need. If you do go with something like that I would go with just putting a onzie type tee underneath to avoid overheating.
    Also snow sticks to fleece like no other so I would find something else.
    It's not hte 69 that I'm worried about but more so the 40's and 50's that it is starting at the end of September beginning of October here. She does get hot super easy that's why I was unsure about this.

Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    I dont have any experience with it but I know Carter's (i think) makes fleece outfits that are pretty warm. That is what we use for the kids when we are out (bc jackets and coats are a no no in car seats). For the stroller, you could just get a winter jacket and a hat etc, but for car seats, stick with fleece or a poncho type of thing. (i can get a link if you need one)
    I thought the fleece things like that were the only thing acceptable in car seats? I remember having a thread like this last year and that was the only thing recommened...

Also she has her winter snow suit with the pants and jacket. You can check out the Carter's sale thread for a picture .

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    I got something like from Old Navy for DD before and it kept her pretty warm. The negatives though is made her way to hot if we were going to be in doors, it faded fast, and the zipper on hers broke after only 6 times of her wearing it.

I got most of her winter stuff at either Kohl's or Pumpkin Patch when she was tiny.
    What is Pumpkin Patch?
  7. Senior Member
    OH! And the boots I was referring to are boots okay for winter (snow boots) and for fall (ugg like boots).

I really want to get her a pair of uggs but I'm afraid she will grow out of them way to fast and would rather get a pair when she will be in them for a few falls. I want something that style though.
  8. Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.
    Hope. It is the only thing stronger than fear.

Quote Originally Posted by corpsmanwife83 View Post
    Well she does have a snow suit and coat that is a 12 month. It usually starts snowing here in December so I'm looking for something that she can wear out for walks and in the car seat before it actually snows.

It's not hte 69 that I'm worried about but more so the 40's and 50's that it is starting at the end of September beginning of October here. She does get hot super easy that's why I was unsure about this.

I thought the fleece things like that were the only thing acceptable in car seats? I remember having a thread like this last year and that was the only thing recommened...

Also she has her winter snow suit with the pants and jacket. You can check out the Carter's sale thread for a picture .

What is Pumpkin Patch?
    Yes fleece is fine for car seats, but the ponchos are safe bc they don't interfere with harness etc. I meant the jacket etc for the stroller =]
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Quote Originally Posted by corpsmanwife83 View Post
    What is Pumpkin Patch?
    I guess it's not all over the states it's here, in Texas, and I think I saw one in the VA beach mall. It's kinda like Crazy 8(another kids clothing as small as newborn store with cute long lasting stuff)

Pumpkin Patch - all in ones - furry all in one - W1BU20002 - milk - newborn to 24mths

If you don't know what Crazy 8 is
    Crazy8.com - Infant Clothes, Newborn Clothes and Newborn Clothing at Crazy 8
    Last edited by LoveMikeyBear; 09-13-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by airmanssweetie View Post
    Yes fleece is fine for car seats, but the ponchos are safe bc they don't interfere with harness etc. I meant the jacket etc for the stroller =]
    Oh ok. .

So if I were to get a fleece suit like that should I take her out of it once she's in the car and then put her back in it when she gets out so she won't overheat? I don't know if the reason she gets warm in the carseat now is because of the car seat itself or just how warm it's been outside.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMikeyBear View Post
    I guess it's not all over the states it's here, in Texas, and I think I saw one in the VA beach mall. It's kinda like Crazy 8(another kids clothing as small as newborn store with cute long lasting stuff)

Pumpkin Patch - all in ones - furry all in one - W1BU20002 - milk - newborn to 24mths

If you don't know what Crazy 8 is
    Crazy8.com - Infant Clothes, Newborn Clothes and Newborn Clothing at Crazy 8
    Thanks! I've never heard of either of them but I will check them out.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast